Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You don’t need no stinkin Garmin Edge 705, get this for 1/10th the price!

This is a summary of a post on my blog, so I'd appreciate you check it out there as well:

Holux has released a new gadget(M-1000C) with only one purpose: GPS logging. The unit simply records your route via GPS which you can then upload to your PC via Bluetooth for later analysis.

The software is the same as is used with the <a href="http://www.cogswappr.com/?p=374" target="_blank">Holux GPSport 245</a>. The unit only has one button, so any configuration is done when it is connected to the included Holux ezTour software. It can be configured for the car, cycling, hiking, or running. With an MSRP of only $40-$50, this could be an incredible bargain if you already have a cycling computer without GPS capabilities.

It would be an even better bargain if this could somehow be integrated with other already available exercise tracking apps such as Polar's software that you get with their devices. I only have the 205, so no GPS for me. Integrating 205s HR info with this units GPS info would be awesome! This device would be great for people with iPhones that use <a href="http://www.cogswappr.com/?p=313" target="_blank">Runkeeper</a> or <a href="http://www.cogswappr.com/?p=303" target="_blank">Mapmyride</a> because they could now leave their iPhone in the car. You wouldn't have to worry about it getting wet or destroying it if you wreck. My Mio C230 GPS has GPS recording capabilities; not to mention is be very helpful when I get dropped from a new group ride and can't figure out how to get back; but I don’t' take it with me on rides for the reason just listed. With all of that you could come up with a somewhat accurate power usage profile of a ride. It wouldn't be real time, but at least you would have the data at a fraction of what a Powertap would cost you. We are now getting closer to what I was figuring might be the future of cycling from my past post <a href="http://www.cogswappr.com/?p=384" target="_blank">here</a>.

</li>
</ul>
Anyone going to get one of these? I think I probably will.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Thoughts, in no special order

- Post smells like pork shoulder and ham.
- You can edit titles. Edit, Go Advanced.
- Edge 205 does have GPS.
- This thing misses out on heart rate and cadence.
- This doesn't have routing capabilities. While they are mighty rudimentary at 205/305 levels, it is possible.
- This device or similar probably has its place. I'd personally opt for versatility, and given the variety of GPS-enabled items out there, this isn't a killer app. The last thing I need in my life is another thing to recharge or feed batteries, so I'll find something that does more than one something. I could use the Blackberry. Or the car unit. Or the handheld. Or, obviously enough, the 305.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don’t need no stinkin Garmin Edge 705, get this for 1/10th the price

danl1 said:
- Post smells like pork shoulder and ham.
Yes, I am a ham... And I'm also a smartass, so take this post with a grain of salt.

danl1 said:
- You can edit titles. Edit, Go Advanced.
Oh... Will do

danl1 said:
- Edge 205 does have GPS.
- This thing misses out on heart rate and cadence.
- This doesn't have routing capabilities. While they are mighty rudimentary at 205/305 levels, it is possible.
That's why I would combine it with a current GPSless setup that does have HR/cadence. Easier to spend $40 than the $140 for a 205.

danl1 said:
- This device or similar probably has its place. I'd personally opt for versatility, and given the variety of GPS-enabled items out there, this isn't a killer app. The last thing I need in my life is another thing to recharge or feed batteries, so I'll find something that does more than one something. I could use the Blackberry. Or the car unit. Or the handheld. Or, obviously enough, the 305.
I'd agree its no awesome end all be all device, but it can be useful.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Not being a total GPS geek, would this thing need a clear, unobstructed view of the sky to work, or could you simply flip it on, make sure it has some satellites and slip it in a jersey pocket and go?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
krisdrum said:
Not being a total GPS geek, would this thing need a clear, unobstructed view of the sky to work, or could you simply flip it on, make sure it has some satellites and slip it in a jersey pocket and go?
I'm sure you just put it in your jersey and go. The SIRFstar III chipset found in most car GPS's has a sensitivity of -159dBm and the chip in this thing has sensitivity of -165dBm; which is a negligible difference. I can get a GPS signal in my house on the first story with my SIRFstar III based Mio C230 GPS unit, so I'm sure a jersey will be no problem, or having it anywhere on your bike for that matter.

Craig

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah......

or you can get a Forerunner 301 for $105 shipped and have heart rate, routing (have to load from pc though) and all the important metrics. The 301 does everything the Edge 305 does, it just doesn't have as nice of a display. Its the best bang for the buck as far as bike computers go. Oh and you can use it for jogging too, if you do that crap....lol

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I can see the usefulness for something like this. I just started using MapMyRide.com to track routes and such. I have painstakingly inputted some of my favorite routes by hand. That process can take awhile.

With something like this unit, I can just download it into the website and be done with it. A few minutes verses an hour or so.

From a do-all perspective, no, I don't see alot of use for it. But I am pretty comfortable with my Polar CS 200, that I use on multiple bikes. Adding something like this in my jersey pocket adds a new dimension with minimal expense. I may give it a go, especially since I've started doing longer routes recently.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
I just use the old as dirt Garmin GPS12 that I have mounted on my bars. Works great and even gives altitude data using the sportstracks elevation correction plugin. Combine with the Oregon Scientific HR logger and you are all set, and cheap.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My Nokia has built-in GPS and a program called Sportstracker that records your workouts.
No turn by turn but you can view everything online- speed, altitude, distance, etc. and export to Google or Mapmyride.
I don’t use it as a gauge while on a ride, but I do like to look at the numbers when I get home. Phone is tiny and slips into a jersey pocket- and would be there anyway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have to say that it definitely smells like a pork product. That said, the the Holux 245 does look somewhat interesting. For $90 on ebay it might be worth getting. It's no Garmin Edge, and has no maps, but for just fooling around it might be interesting. Anyone have one or seen one?

·
Registered
534 Posts
iebobo said:
I have to say that it definitely smells like a pork product. That said, the the Holux 245 does look somewhat interesting. For $90 on ebay it might be worth getting. It's no Garmin Edge, and has no maps, but for just fooling around it might be interesting. Anyone have one or seen one?
I'm just wondering why? You can get the Forerunner which is $25 more. Yes it doesn't have a nice screen like the edge, but it does everything the Edge 305 does. If you want a cheap GPS recorder, there are dozens of cheap gps units you can buy on ebay for $20 or so.

·
that ain't chamois cream
645 Posts
The idea is interesting esp. if you already have something that records everything you need except GPS. But I do like the Garmin 305 solution better only because it records both into one file. Merging both afterward would suck, and it is nice to have them together for some stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you have a Nokia cell phone with gps there is a free app that will do a lot. Its called Nokia Sports Tracker. I use it on my Nokia E71 and it gives me speed, distance, altitude, and records your ride route so it can be uploaded to google maps via the nokia sports tracker where you can share it with other people. You can also take pictures of interesting stuff you see while biking and it will later show you on the map where it is in case you would like to return there. Yeah its no Garmin but pretty great for a free app.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So did anyone ever get the Holux? I'm looking at it, but not sure what to do. I need a low cost GPS but also want to be able to upload the data to mapmyride.

The Holux, from what I can tell only exports in KLM format and mapmyride needs GPX....there are converters out there,but does it convert properly and get all the data recorded?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was looking into this, but wound up just getting an Edge 305. All I had was simple bike computers and wanted to take advantage of heart rate and cadence functions also. The Garmin's are just so nice in all the information you can display on the bike computer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So here's my dilemma now if I go with Garmin

Ebay has 305's with HRM and cadence for roughly $200 plus shipping (I'm from Canada so probably another $20 in shipping and some lame duty / brokerage)

Someone locally is selling a 705 for $250...no cadence or HRM.

Value wise I think the 750 is a better value in the long run.....but I need to wait another month or so to save up for it (I just bought my bike and the wife is a bit angry about it).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts