Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Try Fizik Classic Superlight. The white seems to last better and cleans up pretty easy. Black tape is boring. Like wearing sweatpants out to dinner, means you've just given up on looking good.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Try Fizik Classic Superlight. The white seems to last better and cleans up pretty easy. Black tape is boring. Like wearing sweatpants out to dinner...
black fizik is the opposite of wearing sweatpants anywhere. black dresses up the right kind of bike, like wearing a tux.

but if the frame is black, black tape is usually out.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I change my white fizik every 3-4 months to avoid the stink and clean the bars. After 3 years, the bars need changing too as corrosion sets in. Living south of Houston means lots of riding in in 70 - 90% humidity.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try Fizik Classic Superlight. The white seems to last better and cleans up pretty easy. Black tape is boring. Like wearing sweatpants out to dinner, means you've just given up on looking good.
I went with red/black tape on the bike I pulled that filthy white stuff from. I still use white cork on my steel Colnago though. I just like the looks of it even if it has to be changed more often

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I change my white fizik every 3-4 months to avoid the stink and clean the bars. After 3 years, the bars need changing too as corrosion sets in. Living south of Houston means lots of riding in in 70 - 90% humidity.
Considering the cost of such replacement rate, wouldn't darker color tape and carbon bar be better?

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
....until you have crystalized salt popping off as you unwind the tape.

....and it stinks....
I regularly rinse my (black) bar tape during the season and sometimes even apply a little soapy water, but when it comes time for the winter overhaul, the tape goes in the sink with lots of detergent and the water turns pretty dark. Don't usually get my nose close to the bar tape but you're right, after a season it can get pretty rank. Soap and water and some good scrubbing rejuvenates the tape.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Considering the cost of such replacement rate, wouldn't darker color tape and carbon bar be better?
This is why I switched to CF bars. Back in the day aluminum bars were clear anodized and resisted the salt pretty well but with "painted" bars there are always pinholes and aluminum bars corrode pretty quickly.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
$7 for a new package of some brands of cork ribbon these days. Cost is close to the price of tap water.

pros have their tape changed almost daily.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts

·
gazing from the shadows
27,287 Posts
I use leather, which just looks more "aged" over time, and gets closer and closer to my ancient Brooks color.

Plus I just don't care. It's a bike, not a fashion display.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts