Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
On your left!
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 year old super light aluminum frame cracked last fall. The frame, which will remain nameless (e) was my TT rig. Being 145 and a runner at heart, I'd like to say it must have been my powerful quads but maybe 2.2lbs is just too light...

Anyway, since the TT and Tri season is on, I un-retired my old TT rig.

1999 Trek Y Foil. Boy, is this thing heavy. Yep, 21lbs as pictured. (Use old man voice here) Used to be a light bike was 21lbs.

I have to admit, the bike rides great. Not at all like a beam bike, as I have had a couple of SoftRides. I liked them, but I like the Y Foil better. Feels very much like the 5500's I've riden until you look down and back a bit, then the absence of the seat tube reminds you what you're ridding.

There are lots of things I like about the bike. Only a few things I don't like.

The weight: All things considered, it is heavy. But for TT's and Tri's on rolling hills only, no big deal.

The fork: What was Trek thinking. The fork is proprietary. Any other fork and you change the angles of the bike.

You call this aero? With the swooping wing shape, Trek ran the brake cable, housing and all down the side of the bike.

The attention: Yet another bike I own that makes me feel old when I show up for a race. That's ok, I wave as I pass them later in the race.

What I do like. The bike is fast. For what ever reason, all in my head or what ever, I turn in my best times on this rig. Looking forward to breaking some old records on it this year. I might have to buy a few new carbon goodies for it.

Like I said, you either love or don't. Too bad the ruling racing board has effectively stop cycle development in its tracks and good job to Trek for ground breaking ideas.

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
I actually think that setup looks pretty cool. What's your effective seat tube angle?

·
What the Hell is going on
5,881 Posts
Well, I've never . . .

Well, I've never seen a red one before and I have to say that looks quite cool. It looks fast just standing still. A couple of guys in my cycling club have them (one is gold and the other is the omnipresent blue) but both of them have quill stems. Somehow the quill stems make them look a little odd.

·
Registered
363 Posts
This will probably make you feel even older but... that is one of the bikes that always stuck out in my mind (along with a Lime Green Trek 7000 w/ a yellow RS Judy Fork) that I believe inspired me to become the cyclist that I am today. One of my friends mom's had one that we would walk past everytime we parked our BMX bikes to go grab some Surge cola while rocking out to some of the old Green Day and 311, we were super cool 5th graders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.