Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bike to work everyday, 35 miles one way, and I tend to relax on the last 5 miles before I get to Downtown Denver. Taking a drink from my bottle and Boom! a fixie comes ripping by me. Since I'm on a 20 speeder, I sure hell wasn't going to be embarrassed . So creep up to him and drafted for awhile. I had my computer set on cadence but I was wondering how fast he was going. So I switch to speedometer and he was going 23mph. For fixie that's moving. I took the luxury of not pedaling when hiting the corners while he kept rotating those cranks. On the last mile, I past the fixie and told him that I was impressed. If he was on my bike, he'd blow me away. I have to hand it to you gals/guys, your bunch of freakin Animals!!!!:thumbsup:

· What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
Big gears get very heavy at low cadences, so on flat stuff I tend to set my speed based on a comfortable cadence (regardless of what gear I'm running). You'd do the same, most likely. Next time make sure he knows you're drafting, though. Probably wouldn't mind.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OverStuffed said:
Big gears get very heavy at low cadences, so on flat stuff I tend to set my speed based on a comfortable cadence (regardless of what gear I'm running). You'd do the same, most likely. Next time make sure he knows you're drafting, though. Probably wouldn't mind.
I told him I was drafting on him and also shook hand to show my admiration. It was flat along the river going up the creek but still 23 mph was still impressive to me at least.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
You have that completly wrong.

Noël said:
If he was on my bike, he'd blow me away.
You have fallen for a common misconception about riding fixed vrs having gears.

For any route that we ride at any distance that doesn't include real mountains we are a mile or two an hour faster on our fixtes than our gearies.

Gears make riding easier and riding easier doesn't make you go faster. When you ride fixed with a bunch of riders on gears you really notice this going uphill, as soon as gearies shift they slow down. Since the fixed riders can't shift they won't slow down unless the upgrade is too steep or long for the speed they are carrying. Of course fixed riders don't like to spend a lot of time talking about downslopes.......

Give fixed a try.

· Fixed Geezer
76 Posts
I'm slow, but I have noticed I average a couple miles per hour faster on my fixed gear than on my geared bike. I think it's because I just naturally spin up to a comfortable cadence on the fixed, and that particular gearing works out to be a little faster than the gears on the geared bike.

The geared bike is also a LOT heavier with fatter tires.

· What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
Cool. Shouldn't have assumed. The only time I didn't tell the guy I was drafting was when we were trading pulls into a ~20mph wind. He on his race bike on a lunch ride, me on my fixed with street clothes and a 20+ pound backpack. We both needed the help.

· Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
MB1 said:
Gears make riding easier and riding easier doesn't make you go faster. When you ride fixed with a bunch of riders on gears you really notice this going uphill, as soon as gearies shift they slow down. Since the fixed riders can't shift they won't slow down unless the upgrade is too steep or long for the speed they are carrying.
I ride SS and this is a VERY true statement. I live in an area that has a lot of short steep rollers and small climbs. In these conditions I find that I'm usually faster than my geared bike. On a long climb forget it, but steep quick climbs it's faster. You have a choice of faster or walk..

· Registered
173 Posts
no doubt riding a 1 gear will make you a faster and probably better rider.

if you are pushing a big gear, you will always want/need to get into a comfortable cadence. so if you like riding at 95rpm, u will cruise at 95rpm regardless of the gear inches you are pushing. that will always force you to go fast on flats, and really gun it on those hills (albiet out of the saddle).

i notice the same phenomenon that everyone is noticing--and my single gear ride is a few lb's heavier than my 20 speed roadie. but no doubt, the roadie is better at cornering and flying up the most massive hills...and of course, long distance rides into headwinds :D

· Banned
188 Posts
I love rolling up on a dude on a $4000 rodie, with at least $300 in clothes. I ride an old ten speed frame conversion.(By using the term "ten Speed", I realize I just aged me") Total cost, maybe $150. I wear Carheart, shorts, and a t-shirt, along with a mountain Smith day pack with at least three paper backs, 5 leeeters of water, a few bananas, a power bar or three, raingear, and a bus pass. My total weight is around 260# or so. My body weight, about 175#. Aint nothing better than comming alongside a rodie like the one above and saying,"Wow, this must be hella embarassing for a "Lance-wanna-be-poser-rodie-loser-that-sux, like you. It don't suck to be me. :D I just love pissing off rich guys who suck. it doesn't make me a bad person, does it? :D

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Yes it does (if you actually do this).

Anonymous said:
...... Aint nothing better than comming alongside a rodie like the one above and saying,"Wow, this must be hella embarassing for a "Lance-wanna-be-poser-rodie-loser-that-sux, like you. It don't suck to be me. :D I just love pissing off rich guys who suck. it doesn't make me a bad person, does it? :D
What is the point of raining on someone elses parade? Not to mention that you may be racing the person in front of you but they sure aren't racing you.

Riding ain't racing.

If you want to race, get a license and sign up.

· Registered
127 Posts
Anonymous said:
I love rolling up on a dude on a $4000 rodie, with at least $300 in clothes. I ride an old ten speed frame conversion.(By using the term "ten Speed", I realize I just aged me") Total cost, maybe $150. I wear Carheart, shorts, and a t-shirt, along with a mountain Smith day pack with at least three paper backs, 5 leeeters of water, a few bananas, a power bar or three, raingear, and a bus pass. My total weight is around 260# or so. My body weight, about 175#. Aint nothing better than comming alongside a rodie like the one above and saying,"Wow, this must be hella embarassing for a "Lance-wanna-be-poser-rodie-loser-that-sux, like you. It don't suck to be me. :D I just love pissing off rich guys who suck. it doesn't make me a bad person, does it? :D
No, it doesnt make you a bad person. You just want to act like one. Get over yourself. There are plenty of riders, fixed or geared, who can stomp you!!

With rage like that, stay on your bike and please don't get behind the wheel.

Peace, out.

· Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
MB1 said:
Gears make riding easier and riding easier doesn't make you go faster. When you ride fixed with a bunch of riders on gears you really notice this going uphill, as soon as gearies shift they slow down. Since the fixed riders can't shift they won't slow down unless the upgrade is too steep or long for the speed they are carrying. Of course fixed riders don't like to spend a lot of time talking about downslopes.......
My commute time is almost identical on my fixed gear and geared bike. To tell you the truth, I don't pay really close attention to the total time because I'm not worried about it.

Climbing has definitely seemed to get easier and easier the more I ride fixed. On my commute I top out around 35mph on my geared bike and hitting 30mph on my fixed is really pushing it when going down hills.

· Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Noël said:
I bike to work everyday, 35 miles one way, and I tend to relax on the last 5 miles before I get to Downtown Denver. Taking a drink from my bottle and Boom! a fixie comes ripping by me. Since I'm on a 20 speeder, I sure hell wasn't going to be embarrassed . So creep up to him and drafted for awhile. I had my computer set on cadence but I was wondering how fast he was going. So I switch to speedometer and he was going 23mph. For fixie that's moving. I took the luxury of not pedaling when hiting the corners while he kept rotating those cranks. On the last mile, I past the fixie and told him that I was impressed. If he was on my bike, he'd blow me away. I have to hand it to you gals/guys, your bunch of freakin Animals!!!!:thumbsup:
You ride 35 miles each way to work every day and we're the animals? :p

· Registered
19 Posts
I recently climbed back onto a road bike to race after several years of strickly fixed gear
riding/racing.

What a total drag.
Literally.
I Stop pedaling the thing and feels like I am going backwards.

Used to be on the Sunday morning ride with all the Gucci roadies
I would hang tough on the flats and excel once we hit the hills.
My legs would look like egg beaters on the downhills but I would always
roll out to the front on the climbs. Grinning widely as all others were
banging out the shifters.

FIXED GEARS RULE!!!

I truly miss Eddy, ( Merckx) and Paolo, ( Guerciotti )
Can you imagine just how tough it is to learn how to turn to the right?
Not to mention the maintenance on a road bike geeeschh.....

I will keep at it tho always remembering that Eddy & Paolo will take me
back anytime..

· It's in the game!
2,060 Posts
It makes you the loser

Anonymous said:
I Aint nothing better than comming alongside a rodie like the one above and saying,"Wow, this must be hella embarassing for a "Lance-wanna-be-poser-rodie-loser-that-sux, like you. It don't suck to be me. :D I just love pissing off rich guys who suck. it doesn't make me a bad person, does it? :D
Rich guys suck? Sounds like you suck with a your bitter attitude. Man, get the chip off your shoulder and stop labeling people. The guy may be a doctor, or lawyer or even an emergency worker that may have to save your life someday. I am not rich but I got the decency enough to not go around sterotyping or labeling people I don't know. I don't appreciate it when they have preconceived ideas bout me. Quit worrying about other people and putting them down just because they're different.

· Registered
1,006 Posts
What I like about riding my fixed with my friends who ride fixed is that most of us came from the "hardcore roadie" side of things. So when we see guys on carbon race bikes wearing the full team kit, it's not an offense or a potential challenge; hell, it's probably someone we know. Either way, I look at full-zoot roadies as fixie riders who just don't know it yet. Life's too short and riding is too much fun to make cycling a war of ideologies.

· What the Hell is going on
5,901 Posts
Worked over

I was recently worked over by two roadies whilst riding my fixie to work. I was on a pancake flat path to work when two roadies passed on my left. There was a 5mph headwind when I bridged to the two roadies. Man, those guys were haulin'. I have an 86 inch (42x13) gearing on my fixie and I was spinning out at 25-27mph. I couldn't go any faster to help take a pull up front. I hung in there for about three miles. The two roadies took turns up front and eventually rode me off their wheels. I was weezing so hard I couldn't thank them for the excellent speed work they had given me.

Man, I gotta get a 48t ring!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.