Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a great ride today; only 21 miles but temps in the upper 30's, blue skies, no trafic. Gawd, I love 2nd shift :D :D :D :D Too bad you were working.HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (sorry, I just had to do that.)

·
Non non normal
10,102 Posts
Kram59 said:
It was a great ride today; only 21 miles but temps in the upper 30's, blue skies, no trafic. Gawd, I love 2nd shift :D :D :D :D Too bad you were working.HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (sorry, I just had to do that.)
Yeah, but while you are working we will get to watch a whole lineup of worthless reality tv shows and eat high carb snacks and stare at the darkness outside...

Thanks for rubbing it in.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a totally unrelated note...

Didn't you do the "Nightmare Tour" last year? How'd you prep for it other than ride a lot? I have been wanting to do it for some time now-I'd like to shoot for it this year.

·
Non non normal
10,102 Posts
I had 1800 miles under my belt for the year before the Nightmare week. This was the second time I did it and really took some great advice from an old guy that did the Nightmare as well as Boston-Montreal-Boston three times (finished the third time)

I'll pass some of that advice on.

Any normal, fit rider can finish the Nightmare with proper training and attitutude.

You need at least 1000 base miles, maybe more since they upped the ride from 177 to 200 miles

You should build up to and ride at least three centuries before the big ride.

If you can ride 200 miles a week, you can ride 200 in a day with proper training.

One week ride lighter miles during the week with a century on the weekend, the next week ride the same miles you did the week before but without the century (make the weekend ride 70 miles)

The last month before the ride try to ride 200 miles each week. Taper the week of the ride and go out for a short spin or two and rest two days before the ride.

·
Non non normal
10,102 Posts
Nightmare specific advice

I can remember the first 60 miles of the Nightmare and thinking to myself, "What did I get myself into". The first 60 miles you are climbing up and down along the side of the Susquehanna and there is no real break. There are no long climbs, just the short steep stuff and you don't get good downhill runs because there is a ninety degree turn with gravel at the bottom of every hill (at least it seems that way).

After 60 miles it flattens out a little for thirty miles or so. Then it is hilly for the rest of the ride but not as bad as the first 60 miles.

There is a rest stop at mile 100 in Adamstown. Here is where the old guy gave me some important advice. He told me that "You will get inside the fire hall and there is all this great food, and people are sitting and taking a break, don't stay more than 5 or ten minutes. It will kill you by the time you get to the next rest stop."

Swamp Church Road looms in your mind as a personal challenge the whole first part of the ride. At mile 117 you get a half mile of 18 percent. It is a matter of choice about walking but I am hard headed. If you ride it, you feel like you got it made.

Last year the weather was miserable, really miserable and 52 started with 32 finishing the 177, and 5 of those riders continued on to finish the 200 miles.

I know you can do it and I hope to see you there.

http://www.dreamrideprojects.org/Nightmaretour.html

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

I did the 62 miler there after the Nightmare (twice). I know some of those climbs are a b*tch. I should have at least that amount of miles in by then. Curious. What type gearing did you use? I have a 39 x 27 that I routinely use around here.

·
Non non normal
10,102 Posts
Ditto 39/27

Maybe we can talk some of these other RBR riders into showing up. I mean you can't beat a ride that costs 75 bucks and you get full support and a canari jersey.

Kram59 said:
I did the 62 miler there after the Nightmare (twice). I know some of those climbs are a b*tch. I should have at least that amount of miles in by then. Curious. What type gearing did you use? I have a 39 x 27 that I routinely use around here.

·
Formerly JL
155 Posts
Is Swamp Church road the knee/lung buster out of the Otter Creek area? Sure sounds like it.

Nasty, Nasty, Nasty.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
I'm not working...

It was 62 in Denver yesterday, but a bit breezy. Went out around noon and rode only 33 miles, but the route was the more grueling "high grade" section of Deer Creek Canyon/ Pleasant Park Road. About 11 miles of continuous climbing, that takes about an hour to complete. Slowest speed 6.5mph in my 30/25. Enough of a workout for the early season.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think so.

It's ANOTHER road similar to it that they save just for the Nightmare. Yippee. BTW-I think you get to do that climb, too:D

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd be up for it. Maybe MB1 and Miss M could share in the fun?

I know that they talked about it but they generally don't do rides that you have to pay for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.