·
Administrator
13,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Administrator
13,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"We are surprised to read that many other teams have reportedly shown their intention to engage our Tour winner when he remains under contract. A transfer is not negotiable and we will honor the signed contract. We look forward to more victories from Alberto in 2010."
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/astana-reconfirms-contadors-role-for-2010

I wonder if Astana have deluded themselves into thinking that they can get Vino into the TdF if Conty is stuck on the team still. After Vino's shots at ASO I wouldn't count on that.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
rt1965 said:
Can someone please explain? I thought that the contracts were between the riders and Johan.
That was never the case, it was simply wishful thinking on the part of Lance fans who thought they could get out of the team if it went under.

G

·
I'm curious if all of the problems Astana's riders had getting paid earlier this season might play into AC's hand on this. I would think it might give him some room to say they defaulted on the contract if he was one of the riders that wasn't paid on time.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,922 Posts
SilasCL said:
That was never the case, it was simply wishful thinking on the part of Lance fans who thought they could get out of the team if it went under.
Well Conty might be able to-some hypothesizing by VeloNews:

http://www.velonews.com/article/96566/the-explainer---when-is-a-contract-not-a-contract

But that complexity may also give Contador other options. It’s likely that Contador has at least considered the possibility of mounting a legal challenge, hoping to have the courts declare that contract void because of several factors.

First, Contador might be able to argue that the Astana team has, once again, undergone “large-scale changes in its activity management,” meaning that the fundamental conditions of his contract have changed. Contador did apparently sign a deal with the Kazakh Federation – and not with Bruyneel or his management company – but he did so with the understanding that he was riding for a team that would be operated by someone other than the Kazakh Federation in general and Vinokourov in particular.

Furthermore, Contador may be able to argue that this year’s financial difficulties – during which riders, staff and others were not paid in a timely fashion – constituted a breach of his contract. While on the surface that may appear to be the best strategy, Kazakh officials have recently suggested that they met the conditions of the contract itself and had only been withholding additional monies required because of Bruyneel’s accelerated spending. We’re not sure if that’s just posturing on their part or if there is some basis in fact. Either way, it will be one for the courts to decide, if that one’s raised.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
What's so suprising here? The team holds rights over him for one year. Everyone is making it seem like it's a fait accompli that Contador is free to pursue another team. Ultimately, Contador likely will be on another team, but Astana here is making it clear that whoever signs him is going to have to buyout the value of his final year, and probably a premium on top of that.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Marc said:

Yep...

"We are surprised to read that many other teams have reportedly shown their intention to engage our Tour winner when he remains under contract. A transfer is not negotiable and we will honor the signed contract. We look forward to more victories from Alberto in 2010."

I read this quote and snicker... These buffoons have already failed to honor the signed contract.

·
Administrator
13,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SilasCL said:
Actually, no. It was always posted in the "where will Conty go next" context- Lance was under a one year deal. But thanks for working the ole Lance obsession into the thread, even if you're incorrect.

It was a bit annoying to have one or two posters insist that they knew for a fact the contracts were with Johann. So digging should reveal the threads in question- it couldn't have been so long ago.

For those still clinging to the Conty will be free to ride somewhere else next year- don't count on it. Without Conty on the team, a Vino lead Astana isn't getting into a single ASO run race next year.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
Coolhand said:
Actually, no. It was always posted in the "where will Conty go next" context- Lance was under a one year deal. But thanks for working the ole Lance obsession into the thread, even if you're incorrect.

It was a bit annoying to have one or two posters insist that they knew for a fact the contracts were with Johann. So digging should reveal the threads in question- it couldn't have been so long ago.

For those still clinging to the Conty will be free to ride somewhere else next year- don't count on it. Without Conty on the team, a Vino lead Astana isn't getting into a single ASO run race next year.
You're right, the context was about where Contador would go next.

I'd still make the case that it was Lance fans talking it up, saying Johan could sit on Contador's contract next year.

·
Reality Star
893 Posts
I feel sorry for AC. At best his career is side tracked, at worst derailed by thugs, politics and the ASO. Team Astana will not get an invitation to the TdF in 2010, much like 2008. Other races are up in the air since ASO owns most of them. His support team will be mainly Kazakh and Russian, further isolating the Spaniard. If he sues to exit his contract, he will be drinking poisoned water for the next year. If he has a mediocre year, his price goes down while those of his rivals, like Andy Schleck, go up. It is a shame, he is young, talented and has much potential. He probably is a great guy too, but the language barrier does not allow him to gain many English speaking fans.

·
Registered
247 Posts
kytyree said:
I'm curious if all of the problems Astana's riders had getting paid earlier this season might play into AC's hand on this. I would think it might give him some room to say they defaulted on the contract if he was one of the riders that wasn't paid on time.
Interesting question. While no one can know with any degree of certainty what AC's rights are without actually reading his contract, one could surmise that, for a period of time at least, Astana was in default for failure to pay. However, it appears that the default was "cured" by Astana making good on its payment obligations. The question for AC is whether Astana's prior default gives rise to a termination right.

Just speculating here.

·
awwww horseapples!!
415 Posts
Don Duende said:
I feel sorry for AC. At best his career is side tracked, at worst derailed by thugs, politics and the ASO. Team Astana will not get an invitation to the TdF in 2010, much like 2008. Other races are up in the air since ASO owns most of them. His support team will be mainly Kazakh and Russian, further isolating the Spaniard. If he sues to exit his contract, he will be drinking poisoned water for the next year. If he has a mediocre year, his price goes down while those of his rivals, like Andy Schleck, go up. It is a shame, he is young, talented and has much potential. He probably is a great guy too, but the language barrier does not allow him to gain many English speaking fans.
I think he's more concerned with the thuggish tactics of team management and DS he doesn't know as well.... I'm not sure how language enters into the equation.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
rt1965 said:
You're kidding right? I'm sorry but why would you bring Lance into the equation? My question was strictly about AC, and your answer was far short of any sort of explanation.
Explanation: Your belief that the contracts were through Johan is incorrect.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
Don Duende said:
I wouldn't assume that Astana is poison to ASO.

The invited Kloden this year, after firing Clerc last year.

Maybe their stance on such issues is softening.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
NextTime said:
Interesting question. While no one can know with any degree of certainty what AC's rights are without actually reading his contract, one could surmise that, for a period of time at least, Astana was in default for failure to pay. However, it appears that the default was "cured" by Astana making good on its payment obligations. The question for AC is whether Astana's prior default gives rise to a termination right.

Just speculating here.
The story of default was unclear then and is unclear now. Certain riders said they had been paid in full, and if Contador was then I don't think he would have any grounds for getting out of his contract. Who knows though.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.