Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hammer
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this young man has set up a lemonade stand on the main road toward the canter of town. I've missed him a couple times already because he's been closed on my return back into town on my rides. But today being an early day from work I was able to stop for a cold one before finishing my ride.

So here is a question for you, did you do anything like this as a kid to make money ?

Don't be shy let's hear it !

I'll start I had a paper route and I sold used golf balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So7e64EC5b0

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I had a paper route, too, but I never had a lemonade stand.

A few weeks ago I rode to a friend's house to retrieve a cycling book.
As I entered his neighborhood, the came upon a couple girls hosting a mini-tag sale. It was a very low traffic area and it was after 6PM; just what kind of traffic did they expect?! They had a folding table set up with some junk.

I didn't even bother perusing the stuff, but I stopped and gave them five bucks anyway.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
My grandpa ran a municipal golf course and I worked there. On the side I would clean golf clubs for a buck and sold golf balls that I found for $.50. My grandpa wasn't happy about the golf ball selling - undercut the pro shop.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I collected coupons and took them to the grocery store for cash. Eventually my business model was flawed, but it was good while it lasted.

My next business venture revolved around going to const sites and getting the conduit knockouts and trying to get them to work in vending machines. That was a flop.

Sometimes I returned pop bottles, but those were heavy and broke.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Growing up in northeast, we always looked forward to snow storms. It was a triple bonus: no school, making money shoveling out driveways in the neighborhood all morning, sledding in the afternoon.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
I was a go-getter. I found out I could make money by actually working and I was hooked. I was able to have better bmx bikes as a kid because I mowed the bike shops lawn all summer for it and helped out. I mowed many lawns, and figured out if you were able to land a couple rich people's houses you were in business. I also shoveled snow, going door to door if necessary. I shoveled the walk of the local pharmacy owner and they gave me a $20 tip once for a hard hours work, I made $25 for that hour. This was in 1981 and that was good money.

I just watched that movie The Boss and it struck a chord with me because I see all these young kids selling things for schools and organizations yet they don't really net much of anything off of the profits. Most kids pretty much turn the work over to their parents to sell their Girl Scout cookies at work. I don't see a lot of kids hustling to make a buck anymore, they do the basic chores at home and get a yuge allowance for it. Maybe it's just my perception, I don't know. And then to top it off the parents spend all of their free time ferrying the kids around after school...

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
In fairness to kids these days, I think things are different now. Schools pile more work on now, whereas I cant remember having to do really any work at home, finished all my homework at school. Our culture has funneled families into houses in cult De sacs so that a kid needs to be driven somewhere to do anything other than mowing a neighbors lawn (and sheesh, everybody has a lawn service these days).

My older son plays two sports, basketball and soccer. Basketball workouts start when school does in August and he finishes soccer about 1 month before school finishes in June. He has about a one week break between Bball and soccer. I don't begrudge him his moments of teenage laziness. While I frequently miss my youth ha ha, I'm glad I was kid in the 70's and 80's as opposed to now.

·
Boobies!
8,171 Posts
We grew up poor, and worked as soon as we were able to talk our way into something that paid:
lawn mowing (houses and one commercial site);
multiple paper routes shared among the brothers,
sold catalog greeting cards in winter
shoveled snow
assembly and production jobs at dad's shop
night janitor for one summer
house painting
wheel assembly for local bike wholesaler/bicycle assembly for local department store (50-60 bike at a time)

First 'real' job was working as the bike guy in the local department store at 19--I couldn't believe that you got a regular paycheck, and coffee breaks/lunches

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I mowed lawns and did yard work in my early teens. When I was around 10 - 11 years old, the local grocery store had a thing where you got little tickets for returning the carts. You pushed a cart into the corral inside the store and a little ticket popped out of the box. You could collect them in books and once full, you could use them for items or exchange them for cash. I spent a lot of time gathering and returning carts people didn't bother to return. I came up with the idea of offering to help ladies, especially the older ladies, with their groceries. I'd push the cart to their car, load the groceries and then I'd have a cart to return plus they'd usually give a little tip for the help. Made a surprisingly decent amount of cash for a 10 year old with that little enterprise. By my mid-teens I started working "real" jobs so the entrepreneur aspect kinda ended.

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
Like others here, I mowed lawns and had a paper route. I also did some babysitting and I think the neighbors liked the fact that I was a boy, so their young sons could have sort of a big brother figure watching after them. (Little did they know I was teaching their kids to gamble and smoke....but I digress.)

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Lemonade stand with 11yo son just today!

I am posting a pic of my kid from today - he has been wanting to do a Lemonade stand since summer began. He brought it up mid-week, so we jumped on the idea, and had a stand yesterday, and then today! He had to pay me back for supplies. I guided him in everything, and supervised, but made him do everything. His younger brother helped a pretty good amount, but is not quite at the maturity level to carry out all the tasks.

We are a few houses from our suburban intersection - fairly good traffic but not too much.

Several patrons gave more than the $1/cup because they loved seeing an enterprising young man. I think they could tell I was making him do all the work. A few gave $ just to show admiration, and wanted no lemonade.

A few gave more than a buck, and said "pay it forward," or "I want to pay for the next person." This ended up being unappreciated, or confusing, so I told the boys we would just drop those "pay it forward" dollars in the hat at church on Sunday.

Of the many tasks - mixing a gallon of powdered lemonade, keeping fingers out of cups, etc., the hardest part was getting him to detect cars approaching from a ways off, then giving every car a brief, friendly wave. I guess my many miles road cycling have made that automatic.

It was really a great time. A lot of work for me, but wonderful Dad - son stuff.

It was hotter than Hades, too. I am an extreme athlete and am not too phased by hours in the heat, but the kids are not quite there!

A mom of adults sons stopped by and was inspired to talk about lemonade stands and all the stuff her boys did when they were young- she was so charmed. She took the pic and said she would post it on our neighborhood website. That is where I got the pic. Drink Juice Advertising Lawn Cocktail

·
9,790 Posts
$1 per cup?! Back in my day, kids sold lemonade for 5 cents/cup! Damn kids...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
I hauled hay. Back then, the going rate was a nickel / bale. One summer, I made $1000... 5 cents at a time...

·
9,790 Posts
I hauled hay. Back then, the going rate was a nickel / bale. One summer, I made $1000... 5 cents at a time...
I tossed hay bales and detasselled corn.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
paper route, until I was 13, then summers were spent working in my dad's auto glass shop. I mowed the lawn but my parents didn't pay me, to I souped up their mower and figured out how to do wheelies!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
ughhhhhhhh!!!! Good thing it doesn't get hot and humid where you live!... :rolleyes:

·
9,790 Posts
paper route, until I was 13, then summers were spent working in my dad's auto glass shop. I mowed the lawn but my parents didn't pay me, to I souped up their mower and figured out how to do wheelies!
They had cars back then?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts