Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider myself quite lucky when it comes to food; I don't really like junk food -apart from a bi-annual trip to McDonald's when I will destroy a big mac or two- and I'm a pretty good cook, don't feel that any dish is beyond my capabilities in the kitchen.

Training hard and eating well are obviously very important in this sport (why else would there be an entire sub-forum dedicated to the subject) but, I feel, so is thoroughly enjoying what you eat. I haven't been able to find a topic where we can share some recipes for our own favourite healthy meals which are good for the body and absolutely delicious at the same time so I thought I'd start one myself and see where it goes.

Personally, I`m not too interested in getting all scientific about the dishes but it may be interesting to some... so if you want to post a whole host of nutritional information with your own dish then go for it. I don`t care if you`ve ripped-off a recipe from a cookbook; if you`ve made it and loved it and it`s good for you... get it posted!

I want to know your techniques to prepare your favourite dishes, what your seasonings are made up of, want to feel the love you put into the food you eat and to be inspired to make some of them myself. Just as varying your training can bring new enthusiasm to that training, taking a break from the healthy meals you normally prepare in favour of something different can yield the same effect.

If you have skills in the kitchen... come on, let`s hear all about them!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Of course I`ll go first...

There are a million and one ways to prepare chicken and pasta... here`s one of my favourites for something quick, easy and very tasty.

Spicy Chicken Breast on Gnocchi in a simple Cream Sauce (crap name, delicious food)

Prep time - 10 mins
Cooking time - 20 mins

Serves 2

Ingredients

2 chicken breasts

400g Potato Gnocchi (wholemeal is very nice but doesn`t matter)

Tblspn Olive Oil

2/3 cup single cream (18%) (10% works too but for me the taste is worth the extra 8%)

2/3 cup frozen sweet peas

4 or 5 button mushrooms (obliterated to tiny pieces)

Half a small onion (chopped very finely)

3 cloves of garlic (one minced and the other two just crushed)

3 bay leaves

Bit of Asiago (finely grated)

1/4 cup of red bell pepper (small dice)

Salt n Pepper

Dry Rub Ingredients

1 Tspn Rosemary (chopped finely)

1 Tblspn Montreal Chicken Spice

1 Tspn Paprika

1/2 Tspn Cayenne Pepper

1 Tspn Curry Powder

Pinch of salt

Good few rotations of the pepper grinder

Special Equipment - Cast Iron Skillet (can be worked around if you don`t have one)

The Chicken...

First, turn the oven on and preheat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 Celsius.

Make the dry Rub... mix together the spices and you have your dry rub.

Get your skillet on the stove at medium high heat while you prepare your chicken breasts.

Take some paper towels and dry off the surface of the chicken.

Spread the dry rub over the surface and really massage it into the flesh and the nooks and crannies of the meat.

Add the olive oil to the skillet and watch for it shimmering and just beginning to smoke.

Add the chicken breasts to the pan. Sear each side for 1 minute.

Place the two crushed garlic cloves and two of the bay leaves on top of the chicken breasts and put straight into the oven. Set a timer for 13 minutes and turn them once at the halfway point. Don`t even bother looking at them until this time and then again until the time is up.

When the time is up remove them from the pan and tent them loosely in foil. Don`t bother with meat thermometers; they just allow the delicious juiciness to escape from the puncture wounds. If your breasts were of an average size and you followed this technique accurately they will be perfectly cooked after a further 5 minutes of resting.

The Sauce...

As soon as you put your chicken in the oven get a pot of water on the stove so it will be ready for your gnocchi.

In a non stick pan at a medium heat add your mushrooms. You do not need to add any oil as you want to dehydrate these mushrooms and intensify the flavour. Also add the onion, season with salt and pepper and stir occasionally for 5 - 6 mins, avoiding browning the onion

Add the minced garlic and peas and cook for a further minute. Little more seasoning.

Now hike up the heat to high and add your cream (if you took your cream from the fridge (of course you did) nuke it for 35 seconds before you add it to the pan). Guess what... get some more salt and pepper in there.

Add the last bay leaf

Let it come to vigorous boil and then turn the heat down to medium again. You want it to be slowly erupting in the centre. Stir it occasionally until it has reduced to about twice the thickness of the raw cream. (takes about 6 - 7 mins).

Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking but remember you will be adding some Asiago at the end which is itself quite salty.

When it has reached its desired consistency, turn the heat down to low.

The Gnocchi...

As soon as the chicken is out the oven and resting it`s time to get the gnocchi in the pot of boiling water.

Add, stir once and, when they begin to float, drain the water

Save a half a cup of water just incase you need to dilute the sauce slightly (you`d really only ever need a teaspoon or two)

Putting the dish together...

Find and discard the bay leaf from the sauce. Add the drained gnocchi to the sauce. Stir in, toss, check the seasoning and correct if necessary.

Add equal amounts to the bottom of two serving bowls

Uncover the chicken breasts, slice them on an angle into four pieces and sit the whole breast on top of the gnocchi.

Sprinkle a bit of the diced, raw red pepper on top and grate some Asiago on top.

Finish with a little freshly-ground black pepper.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I am not into cooking so I look for something I can hash out in 5 minutes.

One Amy's vegetarian Indian frozen dinner, one packages of frozen mixed vegetables. Micro blast each for 4-5 minutes. Consume with one glass of good red wine. Have some fruit for desert.

Wild salmon burger. Micro blast burger for 4 minutes then make a sandwich using some good whole grain bread. Season with some dijon mustard or salsa. Chase it with 4oz of Greek yogurt. Eat some fruit for desert. Red wine can also be nice.

Cereal Stew: 1/2 cup of cheap high fiber low sugar cereal on the bottom of the bowel, 1/2 cup of blue berries (or whatever fruit you have) in the middle, and 1/2 cup of high quality granola on top, wet it down with organic 1% milk. If you are really hungry chase it with 1 slice of whole grain bread and peanut butter. If you like wine you should have it before the cereal.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Corn dog, butterfly fries, and funnel cake.

Don't eat that the night before a Tuesday night hammerfest, especially when lots of pros who are competing in the Pro Championships are in town and using it as a warmup, other than that you're good to go.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Lasagna!!

Go to store
Buy frozen lasagna try
put lasagna tray in oven until cheese is melted
serve with beer and garlic bread. always a hit!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lately been eating this sadwhich a lot: large whole wheat wraps (finding them refrigerated in the dairy section of the supermarket), humas, and a boatload of veggies (carrot, onion, bell pepper, sweet italian pepper, fresh spinach leafs, kirby cukes, cherry tomatoes, advacado, etc - salt and pepper - (most important ingredient - pickels (sandwhich slices)) - just chop all the stuff small, put in a baggie or tupperwear, put some humas on the wrap and fold in alum foil - combine when ready to eat (not when you make it or the wrap will get soggy).

·
Cat 3 in TT, Cat 6 in Rd.
226 Posts
Steel Cut Oats are amazing for starting the day.
Spinach Omelettes as well

Aside from that, I am a firm believer in whole wheat pastas and chicken.

Get a george foreman grill. Things are AMAZING.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Simple, quick and good:

Light Caesar salad pack.

Salmon Filet

Blacken the salmon in an iron skillet with spices, or grill. Throw on top of salad and enjoy with a whole grain roll.

Or the same meal with grilled chicken breast.

·
RoadBikeCrusader
40 Posts
Marcos_E said:
Steel Cut Oats are amazing for starting the day.
Spinach Omelettes as well
Up until a just a few weeks ago I tried Steel Cut (Irish) Oaks for the first time in 40 years. I hated them as a kid. I've tried Rolled Oats a number of times as my wife eats them every winter. I can't stand the texture of rolled oats. I've read on this forum peole raving about Steel Cut or Scottish, Irish Oats so I bought a tin and cooked some up. My wife suggested to add cinammon, nutmeg, a touch of vanilla, mix in some dried blueberries and a bit of maple syrup. I'm addicted now and look forward to having them at breakfast. Way, way better than rolled oats and now my wife prefers them to the rolled oats.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
What ever meat Contador was eating :D

I just couldn't pass that one up...I generally have a horrible diet, so I'm of no help other than my worthless comment :p

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Banissque said:
Of course I`ll go first...

There are a million and one ways to prepare chicken and pasta... here`s one of my favourites for something quick, easy and very tasty.

2/3 cup single cream (18%) (10% works too but for me the taste is worth the extra 8%)
deal-breaker with the cream - that's like 75 grams of fat. thread title had 'healthy in it'. How about a healthy way to substitute something like non-fat yogurt?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I like a recipe I found in the cookbook from Chris Carmichael. This is the off the top of my head:

1 16oz package of penne pasta
1 package of smoked salmon (not sure of the size - I think it's 8 oz?)
1 large tomato
16 oz of spinach, chopped
Olive oil (I just guess - probably around 3-4 tablespoons)\
Fresh basil - chopped.
Oregano (I usually just use the dried kind)
Salt and pepper to taste.

1. Cook the pasta according to directions, then drain. Immediately run cold water over the pasta to stop the cooking process and chill the pasta.
2. Dice the tomato.
3. Separate the smoked salmon into bite-size pieces.
4. Put the pasta, tomato, smoked salmon and remaining ingredients in a large bowl and toss.

I think the original recipe also called for capers. You can probably find it online.

·
botanical guru
213 Posts
Quinoa Veggie Burgers

This makes a HUGE batch. I made em, cooked them, then froze the rest for quick lunches and dinners. Individually wrap in Saran wrap and freeze, then store in tupperware or freezer bag for extra protection. This makes 12-15 patties, depending on how large you want them.

Make quinoa as directed on package, but double it.
I make mine with chicken stock for added flavor.
Cool off quinoa after making, or you'll burn your lil fingers making patties.
Dump quinoa into largest mixing bowl you can find.
Dice and sautee in EVOO:(in order)
1 white onion
1 c matchstick carrots
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 orange pepper
1 8oz pkg portobello mushrooms
1 c shredded zucchini(squeeze water out before sautee)
10 kalamata olives
2-3 cloves of roasted garlic
Sautee until tender crisp, stop cooking "early" as this will help when combining everything.
After sautee, add salt and pepper to taste.
Add 2 heaping tbs of curry. If you're not a fan of curry, add own spices here. Preferably something you would add to rice or couscous.
Add 1-2 tbs of beef bullion powder. Vegtable bullion works as well.
Mix well and add to quinoa in large bowl.
Beat 8 eggs and add to mixture. Combine by folding.
Add plain breadcrumbs until mixture becomes firm enough to shape into patties.
THis might take about 2 c of crumbs, don't be suprised. Add little by little.

Cooking:
Shape patties to desired thickness and size. Wet hands every 2ish patties to form nicely shapen rounds and to keep mixture from sticking to hands.
6-8 minuted per side, depending on thickness and size, just enough to heat egg through. Brown evenly on pancake griddle lightly oiled with EVOO. Slide onto bun with desired toppings

Cool on cooling rack(patties to be wrapped). Eat the other ones and enjoy!

** I know kalamata olives sounds weird but they are in almost every gardenburger out on the market. So are artichokes, but I omitted them, I didn't like them last time.

*** To make these uuber healthy, I'd half the eggs and mash up black beans for the binder. You could also add TVP, or flaxseed oil, vitamin E, really the list is endless.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts