Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Share with me! Still have not taken the plunge myself. About to do a time trial tomorrow on my mtb with nobbies. But its a long ride, so I am thinking if I do it I will need a faster bike.

1. How far do you ride (1 way)?
2. How long does it take?
3. What style of bike (performance road, commuter, cross, mtb etc.)

Try to keep it in that order.... #s 1-3. If you want to elaborate, make it #4.

·
...?
1,481 Posts
1. 3.2 miles
2. about 15-20 minutes, I usually give myself 25-30 mins to get to work so I have time to lock my bike, and hit the time clock
3. 1995 Giant Perigee road bike (The Perigee is now a hybrid/ comfort bike... whats up with that?)

·
Registered
868 Posts
1-- 30 km to work, 20 km back home (I take different routes)

2-- 90 minutes to work, 60 minutes home

3-- I use two different bikes, Cannondale Badboy converted to single speed.This is my upright, rain/winter bike. (I ride all year). One inch tires in the summer, 2.1 knobbies in the winter.

3b-- Second bike and the one I enjoy much more is a Kona Paddy Wagon, also a single speed. Much faster on this bike.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
1. 15 miles
2. ~50 minutes
3. Performance cyclocross, singlespeed, and/or road bike... depends on mood, route and weather.

singlecross

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
21.3 miles to work, 21.7 on the way home. 900 feet climbing on the way in, 1150 on the way home.
1:15 to 1:20 time.
Gunnar Crosshairs with Chorus 9, fenders, various wheels, conti tires, rack and bag/panniers (depending on need).

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
1. 10 miles to work, 12 miles going home
2. 35-42 minutes morning; 40-50 minutes afternoon
3. Road bike, DeBernardi SL steel lugged frame with Ultegra/Dura-Ace 9-speed group, Open Pro wheels; large Carradice Barley seatbag

4. Speed varies a lot depending on weather (headwinds, rain, extreme heat, etc.) and how tired I am. However, most days my round-trip commute time is about 90 minutes, not counting stops at traffic signals, etc. I treat most of commutes as recovery rides or my legs get burned out. My route is pretty hilly.

My advice would be to start out with your mountain bike, but put some slick tires on it. See how it works out for a while before taking the plunge on a new bike. I would have bought a very different style of bike rather than the one I got if I had planned to use it for commuting -- that is, one with eyelets and braze-ons for racks and fenders, longer chain stays so panniers won't hit heels, and room for larger tires.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
urnicus said:
1. How far do you ride (1 way)?
2. How long does it take?
3. What style of bike (performance road, commuter, cross, mtb etc.)
1. 17 - 18.5 miles each direction (depends on route I take)
2. between 45 minutes and 1 hour (lots and lots of stoplights and traffic and crap like that)
3. Ridley Damocles

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
1. 6 miles
2. 20-24 minutes
3. fixed-gear road bike

Put slicks on the mtb bike.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
18 miles one way. Road bike. Riding to work = 1:10 ave. Riding home = 50-55 min. I don't like to arrive at work too overheated and sweaty.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
1- ~8 miles in, ~10 miles home, due to one way streets and a slightly different route home.
2- ~35 minutes in, ~45 minutes home.
3- old Nishiki road bike (Ebay special!), with rear rack, panniers, and full fenders.

Put slicks on the mtb until you figure out what you really want in a commuter. Braze-ons for a rack and fenders are worth their weight in gold. Big tires are good too. I've got 28s shoe-horned on it under the fenders, but would love to have room for 32s or bigger.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
1. How far do you ride (1 way)? Anywhere from 5 to 100 miles.

2. How long does it take? From 15 minutes to all morning.

3. What style of bike (performance road, commuter, cross, mtb etc.) All those plus a tandem

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.