Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son just turned 4 and a half months old. While I did my best to keep my usual cycling schedule for the first 2 months (3/4 rides a week fast pace for about 100 miles in total) the more the baby grows up the more I have to cut back riding time. 3 times a week is nearly impossible now,2 times for a total of 60 miles is all I can do. Thank god is pretty hilley over here,at least I can use some power. Any suggestion about how to add some riding time ? Early morning the only option ? I'm self employed too so the company keeps me sort of busy too although flexible. Now don't get me wrong,being a father at 42 is just mindblowing and I would never ever trade it for my former riding schedule, maybe I'm just holding back the truth to myself that I do enjoy a lot more time with the family rather than on my bike now.
I still...does it get better with time ? Less milk more electrolytes ? Looking at a few months from now ? 6 ? 9 ?

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
You probably need to start thinking more about your family and less about biking. Enjoy it while you can, soon they will be interested in other things other than dad.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My daughter is 3.5. I've somehow ridden more miles every year since she was born. The first few months are tough: sorting out the routine and new schedule isn't a picnic. For me, and my wife, having a schedule helps. She knows Sat morning, barring something out of the ordinary, I'm on my bike. Sunday's I'll ride during nap time. During the week it's either commuting, early morning or after work rides.

Take advantage of the time the kiddo is asleep. Ride around your wife's/family's schedule. Don't beat yourself up if this year is lower, mileage was.

Is your wife supportive? That is a huge help for me. I also pay my wife back by taking on more morning and evening duties. Whatever I can do to help out and make her life easier

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
My son just turned 4 and a half months old. While I did my best to keep my usual cycling schedule for the first 2 months (3/4 rides a week fast pace for about 100 miles in total) the more the baby grows up the more I have to cut back riding time. 3 times a week is nearly impossible now,2 times for a total of 60 miles is all I can do. Thank god is pretty hilley over here,at least I can use some power. Any suggestion about how to add some riding time ? Early morning the only option ? I'm self employed too so the company keeps me sort of busy too although flexible. Now don't get me wrong,being a father at 42 is just mindblowing and I would never ever trade it for my former riding schedule, maybe I'm just holding back the truth to myself that I do enjoy a lot more time with the family rather than on my bike now.
I still...does it get better with time ? Less milk more electrolytes ? Looking at a few months from now ? 6 ? 9 ?
Family > cycling. Enjoy your family and ride whenever you can, nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Yes, it gets better. It gets better every single day. But only by a tiny bit... Just rearrange your priorities for now. Baby first. I gave up season tickets to my alma matters football games, 28 rows up on the 50. I have never vacationed without, yearned to be free of, complained about time spent at home... Nothing, ever. I'd spend every minute with my daughter if I could. But she needed less and less over time. When I could I started working out in the mornings, at home, lifting and ploys. Later I started getting out more, speed skating, in summer. Did the gym in winters for years. Short, high intensity work. An hour, sometimes slightly less, sometimes slightly more. Cycling is a huge time vacuum. I could never have done decent miles... That's just me... My wife and I both work demanding jobs. You might bemoan less miles but you will never, NEVER regret more time with your child. Trust me.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't have any kids so I can't relate to the situation. However the way I look at it; time is the ONLY thing you can never get back in life. Children grow up fast, enjoy being a father at every opportunity you can.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I can't wait, my daughter turns 14 and she wants to go ride with me. We will probably get her a real road bike in the next two months or so. I remember those early years and it was tough but worth it. By far the most amazing thing in my life time was becoming a dad.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My daughter is 3.5. I've somehow ridden more miles every year since she was born. The first few months are tough: sorting out the routine and new schedule isn't a picnic. For me, and my wife, having a schedule helps. She knows Sat morning, barring something out of the ordinary, I'm on my bike. Sunday's I'll ride during nap time. During the week it's either commuting, early morning or after work rides.

Take advantage of the time the kiddo is asleep. Ride around your wife's/family's schedule. Don't beat yourself up if this year is lower, mileage was.

Is your wife supportive? That is a huge help for me. I also pay my wife back by taking on more morning and evening duties. Whatever I can do to help out and make her life easier
Wife is 100% supportive.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
change up your schedule, get a trainer set up and use Zwift would be one approach. You can get rides in and maintain some fitness if you want to. You may not get the volume of training and may lose some fitness but you certainly don't need to quit riding.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I found more time to ride as the kids got older simply because my work generally allowed me to ride when they went to school. Now they are in high school and jr high I seem to spend a touch less time on the bike as I'm helping them with their interests.

Find a little time to get some cardio each day and just learn to eat well if not there yet. You'll be lean which is a huge accomplishment for most. Most Dad's I know all gained a little weight including me, however, it's the perfect time to train your body to eat sensibly as the cardio is low.

·
Registered
752 Posts

it doesn't get easier, you just need to find a way to get your riding in without interfering with family time. For me, that's dawn patrol rides, get trainer or outdoor ride in before family time. In the outdoor season, we generally roll by 6am and are back by noon or earlier depending on plans. Key is, get the wife on board with it, you need to be able to do for yourself as well as for your family.

I wish you the best of luck finding the balance, some people say it's easier with older kids, my opinion is its only as easy as you wish to make it.

EEC

·
Registered
873 Posts
If may take a little more time to figure out the schedule. My oldest is 18 and the youngest (twins) are 7. So the kids and work, the time that nobody needs me is between 11PM and 7am.

I ride a lot in the dark. The silver lining here is that the streets and trails are empty.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Not too much more to add. Spend time with the family, help mom out she is going through a major life change. Then ride when you can. I've got 4 children between 12 and almost 4. In the warmer months I'll get my ride in starting at 6AM. I am home by 7:30 to help my wife getting the kids to school. In the winter with the cold and dark, I just don't ride much.

As for 4.5 months old. I found that by this time I was usually starting to get used to the new routine, but the routine was still really hard. It was just about the 1 year mark for each child that life started normalize into a new normal pattern that was not so hard.

In many respects, this time is both wonderful and terrible. Enjoy it while you can.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
didn't read thread but the gist of it is you can't re-raise your children.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Yes, it will get better, after it gets worse. Soccer games, school performances, the list goes on. But, just like others have said already, family goes first. You can go back to riding more once they leave for college.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, it will get better, after it gets worse. Soccer games, school performances, the list goes on. But, just like others have said already, family goes first. You can go back to riding more once they leave for college.
18 years later and you'll be back on the bike & better than ever!

·
Registered
87 Posts
The great thing about cycling is that you can still do it when you are old. Enjoy your family as much as possible now. The bike will always be there for you no matter how much you neglect it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts