Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my 305 HR/CAD, and have a first couple of rides in. Looking at the threads here on RBR and googling comes up with a number of insights people have on how to use the 305 effectively -- often with info not available through Garmin sources. What are your favorite tips/tricks? Here's something from another RBR thread that I found quite helpful.

http://etapevirgins2008.blogspot.com/2008/04/how-to-upload-course-files-to-your.html

I'm also wondering what people think of Garmin Training Center vs SportTracks....

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Training Center is "good enough" for me. For the time being anyway. The only thing I'd like to do is to compare laps from different rides (same locations just different rides), and to be able to take a single ride, and select 1 or more laps from the track to "roll up."

Truth be told, I don't use the Garmin nearly in the capacity it should be. I've never used anything other than the record ride functionality.

· Registered
365 Posts
Average gradient function?

I've been able to graph the %grade over the course of the ride but is there a place that will actually calcuate average gradient (ie - lap per lap, etc). I'm not patient enough to email/call Garmin to ask.

· Two wheels=freedom!
711 Posts
Motionbased.com is a pretty neat app/website, but it costs to sign up. They recently lowered the price, I paid like $80 for a year, and I think that it's like half that now.

You can race against yourself (dot race) if you do the same loop over again. You can also "dot race" others who have done the same ride. I did an organized century and a few days later, went to motionbased and found a number (actually, like over 50!) other riders who had up loaded their data. I "dot raced" a bunch of them, and came to the conclusion that I spend too much time at the rest stops :)

They are also revamping the website over the next couple of months, I have been really pleased with what they offer.

· Registered
127 Posts
I love my Garmin Edge 305. I have the heartrate and cadence and I just use the training center I can keep track of all my rides both outside and on my trainer. It has lots of usefull features and lets you know if you are improving

· Registered
534 Posts
Motionbased is ok for free. You can look at your older activities if you don't log in. Sporttracks is pretty nice too, and free as well. Bikeroutetoaster is neat for making routes. The only other neat trick I know of is you can export activities from training center, then clean them up in notepad and then re-import. Great if you leave the unit on too long or want to remove a part of your ride.

· Registered
534 Posts
slyjackson said:
How do you edit in note pad ? I can't make out squat if I upload a lap to edit. I can't even find the numbers I'm looking to edit...
Not sure if you have line wrapping turned on but it looks pretty simple to me, but I'm used to looking at html and xml.

PHP:
        <Trackpoint>
            <Time>2008-06-23T11:09:45Z</Time>
            <Position>
              <LatitudeDegrees>31.0939710</LatitudeDegrees>
              <LongitudeDegrees>-74.5407676</LongitudeDegrees>
            </Position>
            <AltitudeMeters>185.2139893</AltitudeMeters>
            <DistanceMeters>237.7730255</DistanceMeters>
            <HeartRateBpm xsi:type="HeartRateInBeatsPerMinute_t">
              <Value>101</Value>
            </HeartRateBpm>
            <Cadence>82</Cadence>
            <SensorState>Absent</SensorState>
          </Trackpoint>
To drop one track point, you would delete the above.

G

·
yakky said:
Not sure if you have line wrapping turned on but it looks pretty simple to me, but I'm used to looking at html and xml.

PHP:
        <Trackpoint>
            <Position>
            </Position>
              <Value>101</Value>
            </HeartRateBpm>
            <Cadence>82</Cadence>
          </Trackpoint>
No I didn't and mine did not look like this. I've got one lap that I really need to edit because I forgot to turn off my 305 when I took it off the bike and it was set on auto pause, so as I drove home it recorded my truck speed and I now have a top speed of 62 mph for that lap while my heart rate during this period was 78. Thanks for the info.

G

·
yakky said:

PHP:
        <Trackpoint>
            <Position>
            </Position>
              <Value>101</Value>
            </HeartRateBpm>
            <Cadence>82</Cadence>
          </Trackpoint>
And this is what mine looks like with the word wrap:

· Registered
216 Posts
A couple of nifty navigation tools

A few years ago I used this tool (http://cc2.bradculberson.com/flex/bin/CourseCreator.html) to plot "courses" and upload them to the Garmin using Motionbased. This is great if you don't mind following the black line on the map.

Then a few weeks ago, I found this tool (http://www.marengo-ltd.com/map/) that I used to plot a navigable "route" which you can then upload using GPSbabel. This is a nice combo since you upload waypoints (in my case I uploaded all the turns) and gives you both audible & visual notification, especially nice since I was on a 60 mile urban ride with about 50 turns. The only drawback is if you are on the same road for a good stretch, your distance between waypoints is "as the crow flies" so my loopy 12 mile leg only showed as 6 miles so my ride ended up being longer than anticipated.

The second option is more complicated and I have it all documented, just pm me if you want it...

· Registered
594 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
Get the new training center, it's nice. Make sure you "Tools>Export History" every 2 weeks -- you'll thank me within a few months.

Create courses and follow the route -- by far the best feature next to the dot-map that gets you home after getting lost.
definitely follow the advice to backup often - it crashes on me quite regularly and requires removal of the main database to work again.

For software to use with it - I use training peaks and WKO. For free software, sport tracks is pretty good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.