Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A common lounge theme is FOOD. So I thought this would be a fitting topic.

I got this recipe from the Ponderosa Lodge. Its about an hour north of Kernville, CA and a few miles from The Needles climbing area (arguably the best climbing/granite in the world).

Pea Salad

drain 1/2 large bag frozen green peas/ or small broccoli flowretts (never tried the broccoli)
chop 6 slices bacon and fry crisp (the thick bacon works better)
drain fat and use for dressing

Dressing.
the fat saved from 6 slices of bacon
1 cup mayo
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon garlic (fresh or granulated)
1 tablespoon ginger
one bunch chopped green onions
cashews or peanuts (light chop).

mix all together (including the chopped bacon)and chill.

Good shite!

if you make it let me know what you think & let's hear your favorite recipe.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Oooo, I gotta think about this. I could post an entire cookbook....

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sticky Toffee Pudding

Sticky Toffee Sauce
4 C heavy cream
2 C packed dark brown sugar
1/2 C (1 stick) unsalted butter

Sticky Toffee Pudding
1 1/2 C water
1 1/4 C (8 oz) dates, pitted and chopped
2 t baking soda
2 1/2 C all-purpose flour
2 t baking powder
1 C (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 C sugar
4 large eggs
2 t vanilla extract

Sliced strawberries

1. Make sauce: In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat (use high), stirring constantly, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook (use med-high), stirring frequently, for 5-7 mins (30 mins), or until sauce has reduced to about 3 1/2 C. Set aside. To make ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours, then reheat over low heat.

2. Make pudding: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350F. Generoulsy grease a 12 C bundt pan or twelve 6 oz bundt pan muffin cups.

3. In a medium saucepan, combine water, dates and baking soda. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then remove from heat and set aside to cool completely. Combine flour and baking powder in a medium bowl. Stir well to blend. Set aside.

4. In an electric mixer, using paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar together for 3-4 mins or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then vanilla extract and half of flour mixture. Beat in all of date mixture, then remaining flour, until well blended. Pour or spoon into prepared pan(s) and bake about 45 mins for bundt pan, 12 mins for bundt pan muffin cups or until cake is golden brown. Pour half of toffee sauce over cake(s) and continue baking for about 15 mins, or until skewer inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 mins. Invert onto plate(s).

5. To serve: cut large cake into slices and drizzle toffee sauce over each slice. If serving individual cakes, put one in center of a plate and spoon some sauce over.

Garnish with sliced strawberries.

·
cruisin
174 Posts
Hmmm, so many, how to choose just one?

MMMM Food glorious food!!:p (hey the smilies are working again)

A couple of faves

Basil or sun dried tomato pesto -
2 cups basil or one cup sun dried tomatos in oil(drained)
4-6 garlic cloves
cup pine nuts or walnuts or whatever nuts you got on hand
1/2 - 1 cup parmagiana reggiano or romano cheese
1/2 cup olive oil
wizz in food processor
use however you want, pasta, bread spread, add to soup, spackle a wall, etc....

Montalcino chicken and gnocchi (saw it on 30 min meals)
2 lbs chicken thigh and breast meat
1 med onion diced
4-6 garlic cloves diced
12-14 dried figs, halved
1 cup or 1/3 bottle of Rosso di Montalcino (or dry red whatever)
Cup and half of chicken stock
1 lb gnocchi
2-3 tbsp butter
Olive oil
Fresh nutmeg
Cut up, flour and brown chicken. Remove chicken from pan, add onions and garlic with oilve oil. Add chicken back in along with figs and wine. Let wine reduce by about 1/3 to 1/2. Add chicken stock and let simmer 10-15 min (check this, writing it down from mem). Meanwhile, cook the gnocchi to al dente. Drain, throw in a pan with the butter on med heat to toast/brown. Dump chicken and figs on platter, gnocchi on top of chicken, a little fresh ground nutmeg sprinkled over all.:) ;)

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
I want the recipe for the birthday cake in the pic Wayne posted the other day. It looked scrumptious.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Dal chicken

This is an Indian comfort food dish from Gujurat. It's a soft lentil stew with chicken. Most of the proportions are guessed, this is an eyeball dish for me.

1 lb. boneless chicken thighs, cubed 1 inch
2/3 cup yellow dal
2/3 cup pink dal
About a quart of chicken stock (optional, water works just fine)
1 bunch cilantro
1 minced onion
2 inches ginger
garlic to taste, but at least 2 cloves
2 green chiles
2 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. turmeric

Wash the dal. Fire up the saucepan.

Add onion, minced ginger, chiles, and garlic. Brown it a bit. Add chicken and brown it completely. Add coriander, turmeric and cumin.

Add dal. Add stock. Dal will be done in 25 minutes, but nice and soft in about 50 minutes. Stem the cilantro, chop it up and toss in about half the bunch. Cook for another minute.

Serve over rice, with yogurt on the side.

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
Version #2 Pea Salad

actually peas & spagetti

you need:
peas
cubed cooked carrots (diced small)
dill weed
sour cream
spagetti

cook and drain the spaghetti, put in large bowl
throw the sour cream in (as much as you like, just coat the pasta) while the pasta is hot, and toss it.....

then sprinkle on the dill weed and mix in real good
blend in the peas and carrots to suit

REFRIGERATE

go out for a long ride, and when you come back it will be ready to eat!

JJ

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
French Chicken

Unfortunately, I don't have the recipe memorized, and I'm at work. It's a Julia Child standard. It's chicken breasts that have been lightly browned, then poached in a lemon cream sauce with some dry vermouth in. Serve over rice. Fricking unbelieveable, and my all-time fave, I'd say.

Really, though, there are way too many. You might do a search on "cheese cookie" here on the forum to find my favorite appetizer (that one's the full recipe).

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Brined Turkey

Brined Turkey
1 12 – 14 lb turkey
2 gallons water
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
2 lemons, quartered
1 orange, quartered
1 onion, quartered
4 bay leaves
6 sprigs thyme
1 clean plastic bag, large enough to hold turkey & brine
Dissolve sugar and salt in water (heating 2 quarts on the stove helps.)
Add remaining ingredients.
Clean and prepare turkey; place in bag.
Add brine to bag. If you have a large pot, place bag in pot for insurance, otherwise, use 2 bags.
Refrigerate 6 – 18 hours (more or less)
Remove turkey from brine, stuff with citrus & herbs.
Roast in oven, or barbecue (the best) to 175 degrees, measured with meat thermometer.
Rest turkey 15 – 20 minutes before carving.
Brining will change your perspective on turkey. This is the moistest, most delicious turkey you’ve ever had. The preparation is not difficult, except for finding a spot in the refrigerator to hold all 30+ pounds of turkey and brine. You can substitute other herbs or fruits to suit your preferences. Examples include star anise, cinnamon, cloves, sage, tarragon, apples, raisins, etc. Let your creativity be your guide. If you like to deep fry your turkey, the brined turkey will also knock your socks off. Dry it very well and don't stuff it.

Enjoy.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
I'm with snap on this one. Lemme think about it a while so I can give you two or three of my best (but none of my secrets ;)).

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Straight from the brain cell

Look it up? Good grief.

If you can't pull it straight from the brain, it's not your favorite recipe.

·
Registered
212 Posts
bruschetta

Friction_Shifter said:
let's hear your favorite recipe.
everybody knows that standard one with the roma tomatoes basil and mozzarella but i also do two variations that I get asked to make at parties a lot.

bruschetta burns quick so lay out all your gear and prep all the ingredients before you start assembling / cooking so you don't end up scurrying around like an asshat looking for tongs and dropping stuff. when I do this at parties I bring my own cooking gear but that's because most of my friends have like 2 forks and some paper plates and ten or twelve incense holders in their kitchen. if you're going to bother doing this use good ingredients, too.

bread: bread is sort of the whole point so dont cheap out. go to safeway or whole paycheck and get the fresh baked french or sourdough from their bakery. cut it into kinda thick slices like I dunno maybe an inch? eyeball it. baguettes are easiest but you can use rounds too just chop the slices into halves or thirds or whatever works out to be kinda party favor sized chunks of bread.

gear: cookie sheets, tongs, pastry brushes, waxed paper, oven mitts, a broiler or toaster oven and three or four of those little prep bowls like you use for creme brulee.

<i>variation 1 - spinach kalamata: </i>

extra virgin olive oil
1 small clove fresh garlic, mashed in a press
fresh baby spinach leaves - even better if you blanch them but thats a pain in the ass
pitted kalamata olives, cut in halves
feta cheese
dry basil
dry oregano
sea salt
fresh ground black pepper

take like a quarter teaspoon / pinch (couple shakes) each of the dry herbs, salt and pepper, and drop them into one of the little prep bowls. add the garlic. now pour in about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and mix it all up with the pastry brush. cut sheets of wax paper and lay it out on the cookie sheets. lay the bread on the cookie sheets and brush the top with the oil / herb / garlic mix. put a layer of fresh spinach leaves on, then take the feta and kinda mash it on there a little so the chunks dont roll off. add a few olive halves as garnish. I love kalas but they're mad strong so if you use too many they're like sardines where they overwhelm the other stuff.

<i>variation 2 - apple gouda:</i>

don't use crap apples. I only use granny smiths or braburns
1 large apple
a half to 3/4 pound gouda cheese (not smoked!)
extra virgin olive oil
ground allspice (originally tried this with cinnamon but allspice worked better)

peel the apple, core it and slice it into thin wedges like 3 or 4mm thick. pour the olive oil into a prep bowl, add a pinch of allspice and mix it up. you can either shred the gouda or slice it thin. I think shredded melts better but slicing is less hassle. lay out the bread on wax paper / cookie sheets and brush it with the oil/allspice (if you make both recipes please use a clean brush because garlic flavored apples are just nasty). add a layer of apple wedges and top with cheese.

<b>both recipes</b>
now you're cooking. this is the crucial part and its real important you don't mess this up so if you have to assemble it all ahead of time and wrap it up in saran to transport it somewhere to finish, do it.

set your broiler or toaster oven for kill, like 500 or whatever the badass broiler setting is, leave the door tipped open and maybe take the batteries out of the smoke detector. if theres a vent hood in the kitchen TURN IT ON. heat it up for about ten minutes.

run each sheet under the broiler for about 2 minutes but watch it the whole time and yank it out the second you see the edges of the cheese start to brown.

most important thing for bruschetta is no matter what the recipe, PAY ATTENTION TO IT! it only takes about two minutes for the cheese to melt, after that it goes from perfect to charcoal in thirty seconds flat so dont get distracted.

enjoy.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Good gracious you sound like a cooking nazi.

·
Registered
212 Posts
paint said:
Good gracious you sound like a cooking nazi.
I prefer to think of it as highly organized but whatever floats your boat ma'am. what can I say? I have a wicked fast metabolism and I love to eat. yes I'm a skinny dork, no I'm not gay. my mom has lots of skilz but cooking isn't one so dad and I ran things in the kitchen after my sisters went off to school. you think i'm bad you should see him go off about knife sharpening.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Alright, here's one of my quick and easy ones. Takes like 20 minutes, tops, and requires no early morning before meal prep. And it's vegetarian safe!

Mmm, black bean tacos burrito thingies:

1 15oz can of black beans
fresh cilantro
lime juice
cumin (the spice, you sickos)
minced garlic
black pepper
ground red pepper
salsa/tomato based sauce
lettuce
cheese (jack or cheddar)
burrito-sized tortillas
condiments/dressing/etc

Drain and rinse black beans then dump 'em into a deep skillet. Add lime juice - eyeball this. Pour enough to comfortably surround all the black beans but not so much that the beans are submerged.

Turn your burner on medium.

Add cilantro (very important!) and minced garlic (also key).

Season with cumin, red pepper, ground black pepper (fresh is always better! get a pepper grinder, you slob), and maybe a pinch of Tony's creole seasoning and/or garlic salt and/or a bit of chili powder (I add or leave these depending on my mood and season availability).

Now add 3-4 tablespoons of your tomato-based sauce/salsa. Fresh salsa is the yummiest, but anything without meat in it will do (meat sauce from a jar makes it taste funky). Eyeball this, too. A little'll do ya, trust me.

Stir it all up and let it cook uncovered until your lime juice/rsalsa has simmered down to a medium-thick consistency.

While it's simmering (which won't take long, 5 minutes tops), throw some tortillas into a skillet with a sliver of butter and warm 'em up (or tossing 'em in the microwave will make them soft without the extra calories).

Lay the tortillas out, dress them with a bed of lettuce. Then add your beans/sauce mix. Top that with cheese. Then whatever you want - sour cream, chopped tomatoes, etc. Wrap up, and enjoy.

The beans have enough flavor and vitamins to stand alone, but for the flesh eaters among us, adding some chopped grilled chicken into the concoction (I usually like grilled or pan fried with a touch of lemon pepper) will satisfy your urge to have to have to have meat (it's delish without, and I'm a meat eater, but my fam won't eat anything without meat :rolleyes: ).

Note: The amounts listed serve 2-3 comfortably. Doubling is easy and feeds more (about double, duh).

I love this because it takes me 15 minutes, tops (usually about 10) and is very healthy.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
I've been in the kitchen since I could walk (literally) helping and learning. That's how good southern girls are raised. But we're pretty laid back about it - any knife sharp enough to do the job is fine. We never had any of that fancy stuff. The women folk stay in the kitchen 'round here. My uncles love to grill, so between them and my Tx boys I've learned to be good at the kitchen and the grill. Yum.

But most of our recipes are kind of an eyeball it type deal, which is why I don't often give 'em out. People get frustrated trying to make 'em and I get frustrated trying to tell 'em. No really, it's a pinch! But how much is a pinch? I dunno, it's a pinch! Geez.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
It's pretty simple:

1 pint of Haagen Daz Creme brulee icecream
1 spoon

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Buffalo Black Bean Chili

1lb ground buffalo
1 onion diced and cooked with the buffalo.
2 cans black beans with cumin
1 can chili beans with spices,
1 small can rotel tomatoes
Chili powder to taste

The best is to put the cooked meat and everything else in a crock pot and let it simmer for 1/2 a day. With a nice stout or a hearty red wine and a foot of fresh snow it's pretty good.

·
Registered
212 Posts
paint said:
I've been in the kitchen since I could walk
yea me too but it was more because my dad is cordon bleu trained and it was never one of those gender related deals with us. mom still tells everyone this dumb story about when I was in like second grade and made a big batch of rice krispy squares to take to class. teacher was like "tell your mom thank you" and I got all uptight and was like "I made these!!" so everybody made fun of me for weeks after that.

paint said:
any knife sharp enough to do the job is fine.
its all good until you're working a semi-sharp knife that slips and you take a fingertip off and have to go to the ER during a dinner party or important date or something.

paint said:
No really, it's a pinch! But how much is a pinch? I dunno, it's a pinch! Geez.
that's just a sign you know what you're doing in a kitchen is all. I dont measure so when I write up a recipe I have to think about what 'a pinch' actually is. Joy of Cooking has a table in the ingredients section that tells you exactly. but then I can measure out a teaspoon, tablespoon, etc. in a cupped palm and if someone challenges me i just pour it out into the measuring spoon in question and it's exact. that pretty much shuts them up.

and it impresses the hell out of chicks.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts