Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need a new home on my soon to be CAMPYDALE(a 1990 Dale 3.0 criterium). I may also be needing a seatpost but that has yet to be determined (I've got an older aero C record post and I'm not sure if my seat extension will be past the aero part)
what I've got so far
Rims Campy Victory Crono 36 hole tubies
Hubs American Classic (this is a longer term goal as it means new wheelset $$)
Headset - older Chorus
BB - older chorus
Crank -older chorus
Seatpost older c record
Front Derailler -older c record
Rear Derailler -Croce
Brake Levers - Croce (usable but not in the best shape)
Pedals - Early 70's nuovo record

I'm open to any & all suggestions, please PM me with what ya got and what ya want.

Ideally I'd have the last gen c record shifters before syncro came out but am open to any and all suggestions

as far as brake calipers I'm really not that familiar with all the models that have been around from90-present but I'm up for anything that works. Old stuff too (like super record!)

I'd also be interested in pre-brifter aero levers

PM me PM me PM me PM me PM me

hopefully this isn't a breach of etiquette. If so sorry.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The brakes you need

Friction_Shifter said:
need a new home on my soon to be CAMPYDALE(a 1990 Dale 3.0 criterium). I may also be needing a seatpost but that has yet to be determined (I've got an older aero C record post and I'm not sure if my seat extension will be past the aero part)
what I've got so far
Rims Campy Victory Crono 36 hole tubies
Hubs American Classic (this is a longer term goal as it means new wheelset $$)
Headset - older Chorus
BB - older chorus
Crank -older chorus
Seatpost older c record
Front Derailler -older c record
Rear Derailler -Croce
Brake Levers - Croce (usable but not in the best shape)
Pedals - Early 70's nuovo record

I'm open to any & all suggestions, please PM me with what ya got and what ya want.

Ideally I'd have the last gen c record shifters before syncro came out but am open to any and all suggestions

as far as brake calipers I'm really not that familiar with all the models that have been around from90-present but I'm up for anything that works. Old stuff too (like super record!)

I'd also be interested in pre-brifter aero levers

PM me PM me PM me PM me PM me

hopefully this isn't a breach of etiquette. If so sorry.
With the description of parts you're putting together, the most appropriate brakes would be the monoplanar Chorus brakes from the early 90's. Those were the first generation of Chorus brakes, and the only ones that weren't descended from the previous generation of Record brakes. They're quite distinctive looking and work very well. They were also later available as Athena parts. I found a set on e-bay at http://cgi.ebay.com/Campagnolo-Athe...ryZ42331QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem so you can see what they look like. The Athena brakes are probably a couple of years newer and a few dollars less expensive than the Chorus brakes.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's funny that you have that link for the Athena monoplanar's. I had my eye on those from that same seller. I remember the original chorus monoplanar's from back in the day and the athenas seem very similar if not identical. My only issues with those brakes is they seem gimicky. Right now I have some Croce calipers and I was not impressed with the performance. I'm sure the Athena's are better than the Croce's but they still seem gimicky. They do look quite cool(and I remember them looking quite cool back in the day). But you say they work well so that's good to hear (I searched this site for reviews on monoplanar and other's weren't as happy with their performance). I was also considering something very basic like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Campagnolo-Velo...220056832QQcategoryZ42331QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but those are painted champagne color and just don't seem like they will fit the polished look of my other campy stuff. Not only that but they are from like 5 years later than the rest of my stuff.

I can't believe how much people are paying for used Campy calipers of all kinds on ebay. Its ridiculous. I could buy a new set of brakes, put 10,000 miles on them and sell them in 2 years for 85%(or more) of what I paid for them?!?!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll let you know what I do and when my bike is finished post a pic. I'm gonna try to keep everything in the 87-91 era

1 - 3 of 3 Posts