Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you people listen to NPR.

Well so do I. And believe it or not, we donate, on the easychex program. Have been couging up $5/month for as long as I can remember.

So now it's fundraiser season again. Hours of tedious guilt-tripping.

Shouldn't I get a break since I've already paid? Shut up already, I want to hear the smug liberals talking.

/ wait, I guess I am hearing smug liberals talking, even when they're fundraising.

What I mean is, get back to the regular programming.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
sucker.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just realized, they don't sound quite so smug when they're asking for money, contemplating being out of a job.

Srsly, somebody get these people some salesmanship training.

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
Creakyknees said:
how about if I pay them $5 a month and they STFU ?
Here in Misery they have a "dog" vs. "cat" fundraising...guh!!!

The endless begging made stop listening. It's beneath npr to chase advertising but not straight up begging?

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Creakyknees said:
how about if I pay them $5 a month and they STFU ?
One year, one of the local stations tried a strategy where they said they would end the pledge drive when they hit their number, so if you wanted it over sooner, open your wallet. Otherwise, STFU.

I gave one year and they pissed me off so much constantly calling and asking for more that I never gave again.

·
Large Suburban Male
3,599 Posts
These 'fundraising' things are getting out of hand.

The good thing is I receive 2 NPR stations here in Hartford, and they seem to alternate the money grubbing. So, when one is grubbing, the other is not.

It's all good.

I don't give. I would miss the programming, but not that much.
That being said, if NPR went off the air, I would prob spring for sat rad.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
murbike said:
The good thing is I receive 2 NPR stations here in Hartford, and they seem to alternate the money grubbing. So, when one is grubbing, the other is not.
Same thing 100 miles northeast of you. I do give- kind of makes up for part of what we're losing in newspapers

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
I poached NPR for years and years until last month when I volunteered to answer phones.

It was actually a lot of fun and I met a lot of cool people, and I helped out where previously I had leeched off the system.

//hearing them beg for dollars in person wasn't nearly as bad as hearing it over the airwaves.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
My local is down to 2x10 days/yr. Not horrible. Before, it seemed constant. Funny, they don't do challenge grants in this neck of the woods. Don't know why not - seemed effective in the old hometown.

Old hometown, they were at 1x14 the last I knew. But they led into it with a 'virtual fund drive' for a couple of weeks, with light, occasional mentions to visit the website and bleed a little.

I couldn't commute and maintain sanity w/out Cory, Michelle, and the gang.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Maybe get a wifi/web radio, then you can definitely find an NPR station somewhere that is NOT running a pledge drive (I do donate to the local ones FWIW)...along with 15,000 or so other stations from around the world. Have two myself, one clock radio style and a tuner hooked up to my stereo and use them daily. They don't get anything a computer won't but it is a different and better experience...FWIW there is a good article on this at http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200712/radio .

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
My local NPR station must talk 20 out of 30 minutes during shows like All Things Considered. It's horrible. Plus the one time I e-mail them some constructive criticism (over them stopping election coverage in 2004 in favor of rotely going to their classical music programming at the appointed hour) I got back a snotty response. I'll change the station during the 2x10 days of hell and keep my money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts