Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just thin down some very thick grade motor oil with white spirit, put it in an old hand spray bottle, spray the chain and wipe off the excess. The white spirit then evaporates leaving a very tough long-lasting lube on the chain but without the excess to attract much dirt. 1 Gallon of motor oil and white spirit has lasted me about 5 years so far and cost about £10 : )

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
I like these products

http://www.slickwillylube.com/

The regular Slick-n-Dry for dry conditions, the Slush Armor formula for the bike that gets rained on a lot. They're similar to the home-brew formula referenced by the other posters, but have some additional junk (corrosion inhibitors, etc.). Many people swear by the home-brew stuff, however. It's basically high-quality motor oil (many people use Mobil 1 synthertic), diluted with "odorless mineral spirits" (good paint thinner). The proportion I usually see is 1 part oil to 3 or 4 parts OMS. It is cheap, if you use enough for that to matter. Me, I like the convenience of the packaged stuff, and the cost difference is insignificant (a big bottle lasts me 2 years or more).

I have no affiliation with the Slick Willy company, BTW.

·
Old Skool
804 Posts
Home Brew Seems Great

Based on pervious discussion in this forum, I started using home brew about 500 miles ago and am very pleased with the results. I mixed up a quart and keep in a glass mason jar. This allows me to easily dip the entire chain after a "deep cleaning". My mix is 1 part 90W gear oil and 5 parts mineral spirits.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Search function

Jimi_Lee said:
I am just curious on what chain lubes people use and how they feel about them.

I choose finish line, but am not sure how I much I like it.
This is one of the most-discussed topics on this forum. Do a search on chain lube and you will be flooded with opinions. And as someone said in another current thread on Purple Extreme disappointment - chain lube choice is like religion. I'm a ProLink fan (acolyte?).

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Homebrew 3-to-1 mix

Jimi_Lee said:
I am just curious on what chain lubes people use and how they feel about them.

I choose finish line, but am not sure how I much I like it.
Have used homebrew for several seasons now. Works well and is cheap. I clean/lube about every 150 miles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.