Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating on whether purchasing a new bike or just doing a full overhaul of components.
I have a 1996 Klein Quantum II that's in perfect condition. I'm thinking about getting a new Madone 5.2 Pro, but since the frame is in such good shape, I think I shuld probably just Dura-Ace the whole bike. My bike is posted below and let me know your opinions. BTW it's an aluminum frame and it's not heavy at all.

My Bike:

· Registered
5,525 Posts
That's a great bike, but it is 12 years old. The price of a complete component overhaul/replacement could approach the price of a new bike. Due to comparable costs, I'd get a new bike.. then you have a back-up for anything...

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Man have you kept that thing bubble wrapped or what. Depends on where you get a Dura Ace group set from. I think I just saw one for 1200ish on probikekit.com. If you love the frame then upgrade. If you want a new bike then go out and get it. What size frame is it? I might have a friend who would buy it from you. He love Klein.

· Registered
3,866 Posts
Get a new bike. Save the Klein. You can still ride it. Nothing like a new bike. I went through the same thing. A new bike over building up an old frame just made better sense to me.

Nice looking Klein. Is that original paint? I had a '99 Quantum Race that I had to let go because of a new bike. I kept my Colnago Master X-Light.

Of course if you are on a budget, that is another problem. I wasn't.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dinosaur said:
Is that original paint? .
Yes it is the original paint.. My budget is kinda tight. I'm graduating HS next week so i'm hoping I get enough for a new bike but if not I'll prob just upgrade or wait a while.

It's a 61 or 57CM. I'm gonna keep it whatever I do however.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Henry Chinaski said:
Anything wrong with the components? I'd just get a new wheelset.
It's got 105 components which i've basically destroyed. I ride like crazy have done 2500 miles since jan and am set to do another 2500 this summer, so being 12 years old they're pretty shredded. found a DA groupset for just over 1k. Weekend special unfortunately...

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,543 Posts
Odds are, it is usually more economical to buy a new bike-unless you can be quite thrifty in shopping for jewelry.

BUT-if you like how it rides, by all means rebuild it. It looks like a beautiful frame for being 12 years old.

· Registered
638 Posts
its a great looking bike. as far as components dura ace isnt exactly a world past ultegra so id think about a new bike with ultegra and as good a frame as your budget can get. although either way youre not going to lose because the klein is quite nice.

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,543 Posts
Slim Again said:
And put some good-looking wheels on that thing -- it deserves better.
If you sell them you could probably get a good share of the coin needed for a rebuild-right there.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
B15serv said:
its a great looking bike. as far as components dura ace isnt exactly a world past ultegra so id think about a new bike with ultegra and as good a frame as your budget can get. although either way youre not going to lose because the klein is quite nice.

The Madone 5.2 Pro i'm looking at has Ultegra SL, which from what I hear is very close to DA. I'm sure that coming from a 105 I wouldn't really be able to distinguish between those two as they are both significant upgrades from 105. However, the 5.2 will run about 3k after my discounts and things whereas 1k is a lot sweeter for me... I would love to get the Trek though, if only I had the money. Most likely will get a groupset DA for now until I outgrow that frame, (probably about July LOL.)

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
I love my Klein. I vote for keep it, and go with a full Ultegra build, not D/A. Too much $$ difference to justify the minimal weight savings. And I think Ultegra would last longer than d/a.

· Registered
642 Posts
You may want to factor in potential long term costs.

If you’re on a budget, buy the Madone, and pay full price, how tied will you be to the components, long term?

I bought a Q-Pro on close out last year and was thrilled to get an 18lb., full Ultegra, full Race Lite for under $1,500. However, I didn’t like the saddle at all - $100 for a replacement. Race Lite VR bars don’t fit my hands and I’m getting a $120 replacement. I’m finding that the Race Lite rims are bit flexy for me, and thinking I’m about replacing them with the Ultegra/ Open Pro, which I’ve seen for $250. If I would have paid full price for the bike, I couldn’t have justified the upgrades.

If you rebuilt the Klein you can get exactly what you want.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
weltyed said:
if you can get the scratch, get a new bike with ultegra. keep the klein for a nice backup. it is always good having 2 bikes. plus, are you headed to college? if so, you plannin on taking a bike?

Yes i'm headed to college, and i've got a giant closet that I plan on hanging all my bikes, now i'm at four (1 road, 3 mtb.) So room might be tight.

· Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
It's hard for me to imagine you need anything more than a new chain and cassette for the Klein. it's always cool to have D/A, but, in truth, 105 components work just as well. Is it 8 or 9 speed?

If you like the wheels, keep them; otherwise, as Room 1201 said, sell them. Just make sure you have a source for a wheelset with a compatible hub (whatever N of speeds it is.) With 105 components on the bike, you can get wheels with 105 hubs pretty economically (consider mavic open sport rims.)

Fix it, don't rebuild it.

Save your money for a new one until you can afford what you want. For my money, it wouldn't be a Trek. I have one and love the frame; I just don't like those Bontrager wheels.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.