Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a an infrequent poster here but a daily reader, and I always see posts about new riders aspiring to ride a century and beginning racers looking to win. Please dont get me wrong, I think these are fantastic longer term goals and I have a set of my own...but Im curious about what everyone is trying to conquer right now.

Where I live in Coastal Maine, the first and last hill of my ride is both a great way to start and a tough way to finish. "Windmill Hill" is its name, and its only 1/3 of a mile long, but its a 9-11% grade. Downhill out of town to begin the ride, and what feels like straight up to end it.

My short term goal is to maintain 10mph going up that bastard, though I haven't been there yet. Last night I averaged 9.1mph...my best to date. Within a week or two I will get my 10mph.

Anybody in the same boat? Speed, distance, ride so many miles this week?

What are your short-term goals?

·
Registered
165 Posts
... get over my knee injury and get back on the damn bike. Once I'm back in decent form my short term goal (aside from not hurting myself again) is to average 20mph over my very hilly 17 mile training loop.

After that: hang with the fast group on my weekend 50 miler.

Time to break out the rollers for winter and get to work...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
That's pretty fast for a hill of that grade. We have a steady 10% hill near here, only it's about a mile long. My best speed up that was an 8.5 avg.

No short term goals right now. No long term goals either other than to at least maintain fitness and not gain any weight. As it is, I can go out and ride a century with 7000+ feet of climbing if I choose.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Originally I wanted to get up to 50 miles this year on my mountain bike, getting a road bike in January and want to be in shape for group rides.

I just tore my bicep last weekend and have an MRI set up for Monday, I'm going to try and get 35 miles on Sunday and then my goal is going to switch. I am now looking at trainers so that I can ride with my arm in a sling.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
I am just now coming up with my short term training plans for the off season. All of my goals at the moment span the next couple of months. I rarely have short term goals for the next week or so. I think that is rather limiting and can lead to disappointment in your training. For me I find it best (especially in the off season) to have goals for the next month or two and for the next year/ season.

Next week or so:
Pinpoint my strengths and weaknesses of this years racing season.
Come up with a training plan.
Transition into non racing.

Month or two:
Implement a training schedule.
Work on core strength.

Year:
Increase maximum power output and endurance.
Upgrade to Cat 2 on the track.
Qualify for track nationals.
Actually do more road races and upgrade on the road.
Race more
Win.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
"What are your short-term goals?"

1) Wake up tomorrow morning.

2) Become ruler of the known universe.

3) Top 3, next weekend.

·
Registered
21,641 Posts
Getting real

bigD77 said:
My short term goal is to maintain 10mph going up that bastard, though I haven't been there yet. Last night I averaged 9.1mph...my best to date. Within a week or two I will get my 10mph.

What are your short-term goals?
You don't mention your weight, but if you are at 150 lbs, it's about 330 watts to climb a 10% grade at 9.1 mph. 10 mph will require 370 watts. If it's a 9% grade, then 9.1 mph takes 305 watts and 10 mph takes 340 watts. Yes, it's a short distance, but those are significant wattage numbers for the approximately 2 minutes it takes you to climb this hill.

My short term goal is to go for a bike ride tomorrow, and the day after that. Repeat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kerry Irons said:
You don't mention your weight, but if you are at 150 lbs, it's about 330 watts to climb a 10% grade at 9.1 mph. 10 mph will require 370 watts. If it's a 9% grade, then 9.1 mph takes 305 watts and 10 mph takes 340 watts. Yes, it's a short distance, but those are significant wattage numbers for the approximately 2 minutes it takes you to climb this hill.

My short term goal is to go for a bike ride tomorrow, and the day after that. Repeat.

I like your short term goal better than mine...

Im 152 lbs and yes, it certainly is a chore to get up the hill at the speed I want. To be more specific; it is primarily 9%, but about 2/3 of the way up there is a little bulge that kicks up to the 10% range. Its only a short distance, but its basically the momentum killer that I need to get past. I also failed to mention that it is the way back up a slight valley so im carrying some speed into the base of the hill (thankfully)

With reference to the short-term goals being limiting...I see your point, but I have to disagree. I'm a college golf coach, and occasionally a single hole will have someone's number. If we (the player and I) go out an work on that specific hole (strategy, club selection, etc) and the player can improve on that hole alone, sometimes it is enough to get them over that road block and produce a good round.

I think short term goals are only limiting if you dont set another one after accomplishing the first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.