Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I went ahead and ordered a '06 R5000 from the LBS last week. Feels weird looking at new bikes and all... Took a couple of test rides on some other bikes... Felt like I was cheating on my current bike ('cause you know we have been dating for the past 7 years). The R5000 is replacing my current ride, a 853 Steel Schwinn Paramount circa 1998. The full Dura-Ace kit on it is not working nearly as sharply as it used to and the bike was starting to show the signs of wear that approx. 25,000 miles will do to it, especially the crack in the down tube by the bottom bracket.... None the less, I loved the bike, and I am going to miss taking it on some of the "three hour tours" that I have been on.... R5000 owners, please comment, cause I would love to hear what you have to say. Especially since I had not been able to ride the CAAD8 frame before purchasing (tried the synapse and carbon is just not my bag, and the 6/13 too expensive). How do you feel about the ride? I have had an aluminum road bike before (99 GT ZR3000, this bike was like riding a jack hammer, but boy could it accelerate and climb), and what I would like to know, is it the "typical aluminum ride"? Their is really nothing that I can do about it now, I would just like to know what to expect. Also, if anyone has any kind of inkling what the weight of this bike, assembled from stock, would be, I would appreciate it. I know that the frame is around 1190 grams, but that is about it. Finally, it is nice to have something that very few other people have, like my Paramount... Most people could appreciate the nice lugs, and the Waterford paint job (thanks guys!), and the simple fact that hey, it is seemingly a form of art that is all but forgotten in this country (few manufaturers that I know of continue to produce lugged frames because of their cost), and I will miss riding it. However, on the other hand their seems to be a fairly large community of Cannondale riders that are around, and one that I am proud to be joining. I just hope that I can love this bike as much as my old one.

Jimmy

· Registered
9,274 Posts
ok

well i have only been on my 2005 R5000 DA equipped for a week now but it is amazing!!! i have booked about 150 miles on hilly routes. climbs like a dream extremely fast due to the rigidity and very smooth for an aluminum. cannondale makes the best out of the box aluminum frame available IMHO. this is the 8th generation of the frame so all of the bugs are worked out. of course you are going to feel a little bit of the road because of the aluminum but i like it, if i weren't able to feel the road something would be missing from my ride. mine is DA 10 speed with the FSA SL K carbon crank, Ksyrium Elite wheels, Look Keo Carbon pedals, Hutchinson Fusion Comp tires, Cannondale Wind carbon seat post, FSA OS 140 stem and FSA alloy handle bars and a Fizik Arione Ti saddle and at a 54 cm frame it weighs in at 17.25 pounds. i dont forsee and problems and i think this will be a great union for a many seasons, you'll love it, post up some pics when it arrives!

Lee

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.