Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big Rush fan here and question about the letter Z.

I saw a cool interview with geddy the otherday (VH1 Rush "boxed set"), and he broke down YYZ (a song, for you non Rush fans) and I noticed he always says "YYZed". Now I know in some countries they dont say Z like we do ("zeeee"), but I was wondering...is the US the ONLY country (Among english speaking countries I guess) that doesnt call the letter Z, "zed"? It was really weird hearing Geddy say the name of a song diffrently than my friends and I for the past 28 odd years. I assumed the great white north said Z not Zed. Who knew.

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
YYZ is one of Rush's best songs evuh!

I watch enough of Top Gear on BBC to hear "this car goes from zed to 60 in 4 seconds...".

Zed was also the guy with the chopper in Pulp Fiction.

·
(not a real racer)
482 Posts
2cflyr said:
one of the most amazing live concert songs i've ever had the pleasure to see.
+1 on that!

I've always said Zeeee but I'm a 'merican. Zed does sound cooler though.

·
Opus was just napping
21,669 Posts
You couldn't call yourself a drummer until you knew YYZ--had a friend in middle school--who could do the entire drum solo from the live show when he was 14.

He was good and I wonder what happened to him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Similarly, your american band 'Zed Zed Top' doesn't quite roll off the tongue so well up here in Canada.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Since YYZ is the airport code for Pearson International Airport in Toronto, and in Canada we use zed, I will agree with the writer and performer.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
J-a-zee zee j-a-zed zed
J-a-zed zed jimmy jazz

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
ewitz said:
Since YYZ is the airport code for Pearson International Airport in Toronto, and in Canada we use zed, I will agree with the writer and performer.
Canada has weird airport codes.

·
MTBR Member
2,908 Posts
dwd said:
Similarly, your american band 'Zed Zed Top' doesn't quite roll off the tongue so well up here in Canada.
lol, I've never actually heard somebody say zed zed top. It's a name. The band intended it to be zee zee, so that's what it is.

in Rush's case, they intended it to be y- y-zed, so that's what it is.

I don't think anybody has actually answered this question yet though:

bigmig19 said:
but I was wondering...is the US the ONLY country (Among english speaking countries I guess) that doesnt call the letter Z, "zed"?

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
2cflyr said:
one of the most amazing live concert songs i've ever had the pleasure to see.
I've seen them live only once, on the Permanent Waves tour. That was before YYZ, but what an incredible performance they put on!

I have Rush In Rio, which is excellent. I love some of the work on R30, but Geddy's vocals were meh.

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
222 Posts
Tig said:
YYZ is one of Rush's best songs evuh!

I watch enough of Top Gear on BBC to hear "this car goes from zed to 60 in 4 seconds...".

Zed was also the guy with the chopper in Pulp Fiction.
"Who's motorcycle is this?"
It's not a motorcycle baby, It's a chopper
Who's Chopper Is this?
Zed
Who's Zed?
Zed's dead baby, Zed's Dead"

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Wow... I'm surprised I found this.

this is Primus doing a couple minutes of YYZ. The audio is actually from the concert I saw in Berkeley. Primus recorded every show then put them up on their website for purchase for like $5.

So, of course, I've got this on my iPod. Listening to it brings me back!

Here's another Rush cover from the same concert:

joe

·
(not a real racer)
482 Posts
Hell yeah!
Primus FTW!!!!! Didn't they lead into John the Fisherman with YYZed?
Les is one of the most unique bass players to come along in a while, well Geddy is pretty good too. I guess ;).

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
ewitz said:
And the opening drum sequence is Morse code for Y Y Z _._ _ _._ _ _ _..

Dash dot dash dash Dash dot das dash dash dash dot dot

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
DBT said:
Saw Primus open for Rush in the early 90's. Best double trio bill ever!!
Yikes! That's a bass players dream billing. :thumbsup:
Throw in a few others like Jaco and John Entwistle, and you could rule teh world.

·
Super Moderator
40,840 Posts
Tig said:
Yikes! That's a bass players dream billing. :thumbsup:
Throw in a few others like Jaco and John Entwistle, and you could rule teh world.
But then wouldn't half of them be dead?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts