Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhat of a newbie here. I've been biking now for about 6 months. I've gotten my distance up to a little over 30 miles per day (17-20 mph) 4 days a week. Something I've noticed is that although it is cool to try and go faster, I'm finding that there is a part of the ride where I just get into a zone of just pure bliss. All my problems/distractions disappear and I'm just there with the bike. I don't experience this when I'm on a group ride. I realize that at 52 my chances of competing professionally are limited. But I think I'm satisfied at this point. Wondering if others experience a meditative state on their rides.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I do

This is probably the main reason that I ride. My attention becomes highly focused, I become completely absorbed in the experience, so that the distinction between internal and external are blurred, and the world seems right.

Only seems to happen on solo rides, though.

egoroff said:
Somewhat of a newbie here. I've been biking now for about 6 months. I've gotten my distance up to a little over 30 miles per day (17-20 mph) 4 days a week. Something I've noticed is that although it is cool to try and go faster, I'm finding that there is a part of the ride where I just get into a zone of just pure bliss. All my problems/distractions disappear and I'm just there with the bike. I don't experience this when I'm on a group ride. I realize that at 52 my chances of competing professionally are limited. But I think I'm satisfied at this point. Wondering if others experience a meditative state on their rides.
________
Suzuki t series history

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
egoroff said:
Sometimes I zone out for awhile and suddenly realize I just climbed a couple hills and barely noticed them. Goes to show how much things like pain and effort are tied to mental perception.

But I don't seem to get that same wonderful, glorious runner's high buzz I used to get from back in my cross country days. Don't know why that is exactly considering both are cardio intensive activities. I can get a slight endorphin rush on the bike but I remember some runs where it felt like my feet were literally floating on air and i could run for days. Loved that stuff.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Get fixed?

Sintesi said:
But I don't seem to get that same wonderful, glorious runner's high buzz I used to get from back in my cross country days. . . . I can get a slight endorphin rush on the bike but I remember some runs where it felt like my feet were literally floating on air and i could run for days. Loved that stuff.
Ever ride a fixed-gear? I get that feeling a little more often on the fixie. I have a theory that it has something to do with the unchanging relationship between leg speed and vehicle speed on the fixie. Somehow, to your brain, that brings it closer to to that running "zone" than what you get on a multi-geared, freewheeling bike, where leg speed is constantly changing in ways that don't relate directly to your speed.

Or maybe I'm just having flashbacks; I dunno.

·
Michigoose
821 Posts
Sintesi said:
Sometimes I zone out for awhile and suddenly realize I just climbed a couple hills and barely noticed them. Goes to show how much things like pain and effort are tied to mental perception.

But I don't seem to get that same wonderful, glorious runner's high buzz I used to get from back in my cross country days. Don't know why that is exactly considering both are cardio intensive activities. I can get a slight endorphin rush on the bike but I remember some runs where it felt like my feet were literally floating on air and i could run for days. Loved that stuff.
That is one thing I'm going to miss about cross country...I don't, however, think I'll ever entirely stop running.

Out on the bike, I get a rush of exhilaration that is unique to only cycling...the running-on-cloud-nine feeling is unique to running.

I second what Bertrand said though; it's the reason I do it all.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
JCavilia said:
Ever ride a fixed-gear? I get that feeling a little more often on the fixie. I have a theory that it has something to do with the unchanging relationship between leg speed and vehicle speed on the fixie. Somehow, to your brain, that brings it closer to to that running "zone" than what you get on a multi-geared, freewheeling bike, where leg speed is constantly changing in ways that don't relate directly to your speed.

Or maybe I'm just having flashbacks; I dunno.
Hadn't thought of that but maybe that's it. Plus you do coast frequently with a freewheel, probably not taxing the muscles enough.

I actually happen to have a nice old school Italian frame slated for a fixed wheel build up. It's going to be my townie/slash training bike. I'll put your theory to the test. I think it has merit.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Though I try not to think about it, I've noticed that I have a continuous train of unconnected thoughts flowing through my mind as I ride. As fast as one pops in my head, it's gone replaced with another, then another. I think its some kind of cleansing process, but it could just be the result of going to college in the late 60's. :cool:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
yes - me too - for me it's emptying the mind and not doing or thinking of anything else - with two small children most of my miles right now are on my daily commute (8 miles each way) - it's a perfect break between work and home - ready for each when I get there - ready for totally different headspace...

riding professionally is for very few - the great thing about cycling is it's a life sport which doesn't require a team but can be done with other folks....

·
Registered
432 Posts
For me those are the times I enjoy the most about cycling. Getting into that zone when it's not about keeping the pace, moving my butt to a more comfortable spot or finding a better place for my hands. It's simply a realization, after the fact, that I was zoned out for a while.

·
MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
992 Posts
I "woke up" once

and realized I had no idea what road I was on or how I got there...no conscious decision to take that particular route or anything. I wasn't lost, just disoriented. It was pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Waking up in a different world.

Came around a bend and suddenly found myself on a road I hadn't intended to rideand had never ridden before. It was in a world where the sun rises in the west. It took a few seconds to convince myself that I was not only lost, but turned completely around. Lucky for me the sun was shining and I could keep it on my right and find my way home.

I also run and ride for the spacey, unstoppable moments. My favorite is getting to "the other side of the wall" on marathons and ultras where the feeling is less vivid but can last for many minutes, go away and come back again later.

I find riding fixed to be more giggly than euphoric. Dancing with the pedals, feeling my bike react to my legs is way more fun than coasting, but my euphoria comes from the effort, not from the vehicle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.