Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, last year, I sent out a post about compatibility between Seven Cycles frames, and the ZG calipers. I know the calipers have been modified a touch, and am wondering if there are any Seven owners (or non-) out there who know anything about this. Seven hasn't heard anything one way or the other.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Capt Q, were there clearance issues w/ the calipers? Did you have to install Ti washers?

PM me pics if you can. Would like to see your bike in full too. :)

· Registered
1,149 Posts
I don't understand why the front caliper is extended (spaced) so far forward from the fork. It's quite a bit more than most other brakes. Is ther a clearance issue not apparent in your photos? I've noticed this on a couple other bikes as well.

· Registered
58 Posts
front caliper

I do not think there is a clearance issue, it is just the way they are built.
I guess ZG could answer that question better. It looks bigger space on the pic than in reality in fact, it does not change the look to an "ugly" extent..

· Registered
10 Posts
elaugier said:
I ride the new seven Elium Race 2006 and have no problem with my ZG brakes.
Just waiting for the ZG crank now ..:mad2:
Hmmm, somebody seems like he is enjoying posting pictures of his seriously purty bike (not to say that is a bad thing, I would be doing the same thing--except probably more--if I had a bike like that :) ). I love that paint scheme.

To all of the folks with the ZG brakes, how do they feel compared to non-cam type calipers?

David

· Juanmoretime
2,313 Posts
Daivd, as a majority most people find them to be better stoppers than Campy or Shimano as was the case for me when I bought my first set of 05's about a year and half ago. I liked them well enough to take Record brakes off my other bike and put Zero Gravity brakes on my back up bike. After over 7,000 miles on Zero's I still think they are great!

· Registered
359 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
Daivd, as a majority most people find them to be better stoppers than Campy or Shimano as was the case for me when I bought my first set of 05's about a year and half ago. I liked them well enough to take Record brakes off my other bike and put Zero Gravity brakes on my back up bike. After over 7,000 miles on Zero's I still think they are great!
It is physically impossible for Zero G to brake better than Campy or Shimano because they are single pivoted. What we have here is a case of the placebo effect. In other words we think something works better because we should or because we want to. The Zero G's lasted only 50 miles on my bike before I got rid of them. I work very hard at fighting the placebo effect. They didn't brake the bike well enough for me. They may be fine for less fussy people but to say they they brake better is truly impossible. Sorry.

· Registered
10 Posts
fmw said:
It is physically impossible for Zero G to brake better than Campy or Shimano because they are single pivoted. What we have here is a case of the placebo effect. In other words we think something works better because we should or because we want to. The Zero G's lasted only 50 miles on my bike before I got rid of them. I work very hard at fighting the placebo effect. They didn't brake the bike well enough for me. They may be fine for less fussy people but to say they they brake better is truly impossible. Sorry.

Not to be too confrontational, but I am not quite sure it is the placebo effect (at least the mechanics of the brakes. As far as the titanium and all that good stuff, yeah, that is totally the placebo effect). It is true that they only have one pivot, but there is also the cam that you have to take into consideration. Hypothetically, the cam would make the brakes preform differently then regular, non-cam brakes. According to the website, the cam changes the leverage ratio by a factor of three through the travel. That will not necessarily make them preform better (and I cannot say I have ever used them before, so I do not know from experience), but it is a different mechanism then regular brakes, and a clever looking one at that.

Just a newbie's two cents,
David

· Registered
359 Posts
And I also forgot to mention that the Zero G have shorter arms so that there is less leverage. I simply takes more hand pressure to make them work. No way around it. I tried to like them. I really did. But if I stayted completely analytical and objective, there wasn't any way to like them for the sake of performance. A nice product otherwise. Take care.

· Juanmoretime
2,313 Posts
fmw said:
I've checked it out. I've installed a pair on one of my bikes and actually used them. Take care.
Here is a classic case of where we can agree to disagree. Atfer putting on my Zero's I had to back off the amount of lever pressure required as my previous Record brakes to avoid wheel lock up. After all every component out there is totally subject to the users perception and nothing more. If you feel that they didn't work better for you that's fine. If you want to prove it lets see the testing data against other systems with a baseline standard and not your perception of how well they work.

· naranjito
785 Posts
just because a caliper has only one pivot and not two, does not necessarily mean it's not as good at braking. there are so many things that can influence the way a caliper works that only taking into account the number of pivots is not a good way to think. material used, manufacturing method, geometry of the caliper, lever used with it, cables and outers, brake pads, etc all play a part. there are good and bad brakes of both types. a bad dual pivot brake isn't always gling to be better than a good single pivot. i have used single pivot brakes that have been better than some dual pivot designs, and i've used cantis that have been worse than both. personally i've never used 0Gs so i can't comment, but in my opinion they're ugly and overpriced. if i were a weight weenie, then i'd probably have a set, but as i'm not, then i don't care if they weigh 100g less than my mavics.

foz

· Registered
359 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
Here is a classic case of where we can agree to disagree. Atfer putting on my Zero's I had to back off the amount of lever pressure required as my previous Record brakes to avoid wheel lock up. After all every component out there is totally subject to the users perception and nothing more. If you feel that they didn't work better for you that's fine. If you want to prove it lets see the testing data against other systems with a baseline standard and not your perception of how well they work.
I realize this board doesn't like people criticizing "cool" products. I should know better. You'll have to settle for my comments about my personal experiences just like I have to settle for yours. I sold my Zero G's so there won't be any more testing. Take care.

· Registered
1,860 Posts
Number of pivots and leverage.

fmw said:
I realize this board doesn't like people criticizing "cool" products. I should know better. You'll have to settle for my comments about my personal experiences just like I have to settle for yours. I sold my Zero G's so there won't be any more testing. Take care.
I don't think people are complaining that you are criticizing a "cool" product. I think is it because you are claiming that a single pivot brake can't perform as well as a dual pivot brake - a claim that is dead wrong.

A dual pivot brake doesn't have more leverage just because it has two pivots - it has more leverage because there is a high-leverage linkage between the two caliper arms. If you look carefully, you'll notice that the lower arm of a dual pivot brake actually presses against a short stub arm on the upper arm, transferring some of the cable force at a higher leverage ratio, increasing the total leverage of the mechanism. In a similar way, Zero Gravity brakes use a cam mechanism to link the two arms and increase their leverage. Just because the cable arms are shorter on the Zero Gravity brakes, does not by itself give them a lower total leverage. In fact, if designed properly, the shorter cable arms could actually act to reduce flex, so that they maintain their high affective leverage better.

Of course, as others mentioned, there are many other variables that can affect brake performance - pad material, cable friction, handlever leverage and action, just to name a few.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.