Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Has anyone heard of and, if yes, is the book, "Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance" a good reference for roadbike maintenence and repairs?

thanks all

·
Registered
425 Posts
It is a great first maintenance book. Barnett's Manual is the definitive end source, the bible of maintence of bikes. Much pricier, but worth it.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
fouadaswad said:
Hi all

Has anyone heard of and, if yes, is the book, "Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance" a good reference for roadbike maintenence and repairs?

thanks all
Another option:
I use Park Tools website, often I'll have my laptop set up down in my shop while working on a bike.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I like Zinn's book a lot. I've gotten it for a few friends (and my wife) when they started riding. They've been happy with it--the diagrams are clear and the text is easy to understand. My wife says it's better to read the whole introduction to a section before you start working--she feels she gets a better overall understanding of the terms and concepts, which in turn makes the diagrams and instructions easier to follow.

It came too late for me--I've been working on bikes a long time--but I still like it as an occasional reference or bathroom read.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Its good, but in my experience it is not complete. You read a section and it seems to make sense and then you go to do a repair and you find that he fails to mention a detail or two. The Park tool site is just as good or better and its free.

·
Registered
21,507 Posts
Widely recommended

fouadaswad said:
Zinn's book is probably the most widely recommended book on bike maintenance. Once you've mastered what is in Zinn's book, you probably can figure everything else out by yourself without a book.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Good book. i've used it as a refernence for replacing a bottom bracket, setting up a front and rear deraillieur and it has info. on general bike sizing in the back. as another poster has stated it doesn't cover every problem but enough to get a general feel for bike repair.

·
Registered
114 Posts
fouadaswad said:
Yes, it is a good reference for roadbike maintenance and repairs. I recently built up a Surly Long Haul Trucker from the frame using the instructions that came with the components and Zinn. I also built the wheels myself by the instructions in Zinn.

·
Registered
51 Posts
bicycling magazine's maintenance book too

my first manual was this book, put out by bicycling mag. it was the 1992 edition. very simplistic, with tons of step by step pics. recently I saw one in the thrift store for like eight bucks. I quickly moved up to barnett's, but the price difference is so great I think it's wise to master the easier stuff first.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I like the book a lot. It is clear and concise and has good exploded pictures (Ergo levers in particular). It is certainly worth the money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts