Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used carbon bar with visible surface marring around the clamp area. Mmmmmm *inhales deeply* danger is mah middle name. Moreons, what's the over/under on the number of days I can ride this hard before violently eating a steerer tube and ragdoll-ing down the road?

aaaaaand go!

I'm not really concerned about the bar, like at all. I was just reminded of all the fear and paranoia filled "should I buy used carbon" threads and looking at my purchase made me chuckle. This will go great with the chain suck gouged carbon frame I'm laying clyde-sized watts into.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Are we starting a pool? Is this for mtb or road? Well-maintained or potholes? Is the original owner still alive?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Road.
Original owner alive (alive enough to help authenticate bar with 3T's North American distributor)
mostly northern NJ roads... but it was a mild spring

I'm going to stop at the supermarket on my way home and sample from the 50% off after 5PM sushi/sashimi section.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Nashbar has great prices on new (closeout) carbon bars. The selection isn't consistent but the prices are amazing when you use the 20-25% off sale.

Right now they've got a couple of Easton bars for $99: Bicyce Handlebars for all bike types | Bike Nashbar

Did you pay more than $75 or $80 for those used ones?

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Over 30 days, under 30 if you:

a - crank down the bolts on the stem super tight. Make 'em scream boy! Tighten the bolts down super tight on the steerer side too (carbon steerer of course)

b - put the stem on with bolts finger tight to make sure you don't do any more damage

c - use that Classic Cinelli 26.4 mm stem you've always wanted to mount. Use a hammer to get it on the bar.

d - drill holes to prevent surface cracks from getting worse

e - use these bars with the $50 carbon wheels from China you found on ebay.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nashbar has great prices on new (closeout) carbon bars. The selection isn't consistent but the prices are amazing when you use the 20-25% off sale.

Right now they've got a couple of Easton bars for $99: Bicyce Handlebars for all bike types | Bike Nashbar

Did you pay more than $75 or $80 for those used ones?
I did. It's tough to find 3T team line stuff on the cheap, and more so in stealth finish.

Nice find! Some really good prices. I have the Easton EC70 SL 3's which I bought last year. It's a really smooth riding bar with a bit of flex where you need it an none where you don't. Short reach of 75, but a bit of a drop at 130. For ninety nine bucks it's a deal!

I'm doing another bike fit at the beginning of this year and bringing along some new bits to try out (shorter cranks, these bars, seat).

Sashimi was delicious. Korean cashier girls are always so nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts