Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I removed my pannier and upon reinstalling it, the front plastic tab snapped off. There are two largeish plastic tabs which attach at the top left or right side of the rack front and back.

I've used six or seven zip ties to tie up the top strap to the side tube on the rack. These are the smaller, thinner zip ties, maybe 7" long and less than a quarter inch in width.

Before, I used to carry a bag full of groceries or other items in the pannier.

Do you all think my DIY will be sufficient to carry the previous load, ie., about 20-25 lbs of groceries? Perhaps tie a few more zip ties?

Here is the bag. I'd have a tough time recommending it as the tab broke:

https://www.amazon.com/Fontic-Bicyc...=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=roswheel+15+liter+pannier

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I'm not sure which size zipties you used, but the smallest ones have a rated tensile strength of 18 pounds. 6 or 7 would give you plenty of margin. You probably used the more common next size up, which are good for 45-50 pounds, so two would be safe.

The strap might be the weak point you want to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
I removed my pannier and upon reinstalling it, the front plastic tab snapped off. There are two largeish plastic tabs which attach at the top left or right side of the rack front and back.

I've used six or seven zip ties to tie up the top strap to the side tube on the rack. These are the smaller, thinner zip ties, maybe 7" long and less than a quarter inch in width.

Before, I used to carry a bag full of groceries or other items in the pannier.

Do you all think my DIY will be sufficient to carry the previous load, ie., about 20-25 lbs of groceries? Perhaps tie a few more zip ties?
With enough zip ties of the right size you will have no trouble carrying the weight. What I would worry about is durability as those plastic ties move back and forth on the rack. I picture them getting slowly sawed through by abrasion.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I measured and the zip ties are 8" by .25." As I said, I've got 7 of them cinched pretty tight along the front and middle of the pannier. They attach to the rack via the cloth loop, so they don't slip (much, if at all).

If I've used 7, and 1 is rated at 40+ lbs, I think I should be quite safe. I hauled about 5 measly lbs today but now am confident that 25 lbs is safe. Thanks.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
Slight difference in the mechanics of the load but I zip tied a basket to the rear rack of my wife's city bike a couple of years ago and it's rock solid. She carries all kinds of stuff in it, but mostly books.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
I removed my pannier and upon reinstalling it, the front plastic tab snapped off... I've used six or seven zip ties to tie up the top strap to the side tube on the rack.

that sounds like a poor solution that can be improved. your bag needs to be removed easily for it to be fully functional. it should also look good. personally, i would contact the manufacturer in a kind and diplomatic way. even if it's not under warranty, many manufacturers will likely have a better solution for you. if it happened to you, it likely happened to others.

case in point: i contacted cane creek about a quick release lever pin on a two year old brake lever that i lost on a ride. they sent me a new pin free of charge, and it snapped right in.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,287 Posts
What I would worry about is durability as those plastic ties move back and forth on the rack. I picture them getting slowly sawed through by abrasion.
A couple wraps of duct tape/electrical tape will help prevent that for a long time. Plus it provides a wear indicator that will show when it is time for more tape. But given...

If I've used 7, and 1 is rated at 40+ lbs, I think I should be quite safe.

I think periodic inspection should catch things before failure. They won't all give it up at once, and things should start shifting when/if they do start to give up the ghost.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
If you have to ask, then I think you already know the answer.

I would not recommend using zip ties in this type of application. Just because it seems strong enough at home when the bike is not in motion does not mean that they will last in the real world. Besides the side to side motions, they have to deal with up and down motions, road vibrations, UV and temp exposures. These things are guaranteed to fail.

Just bite the bullet and buy a better quality pannier, unless you don't mind the thought of picking up spilled groceries and then possibly being hit by an oncoming vehicle.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Contact manufacturer and if they can't/won't help you should be able to repurpose or make some kind of hanger that would work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
While I certainly agree with those who suggested contacting the manufacturer for a more permanent solution, kudos for your creativity. There should be a forum here dedicated to zip ties and duct tape. I once discovered, at the trailhead of course, that I had snapped the seat tube on my titanium mountain bike. Just a few zip ties allowed me to ride for a few hours on technical terrain. :)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
While I certainly agree with those who suggested contacting the manufacturer for a more permanent solution, kudos for your creativity. There should be a forum here dedicated to zip ties and duct tape. I once discovered, at the trailhead of course, that I had snapped the seat tube on my titanium mountain bike. Just a few zip ties allowed me to ride for a few hours on technical terrain. :)
We could call it the McGyver department.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts