Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
929 Posts
jrz1 said:
Listen, I have no dog in this hunt, or wheel in this race, so to speak, since I don't own Edge or Zipps (I currently am riding on Neuvation carbon 50mm tubulars, and have owned American Classic 420's and Token T50 carbon tubulars). But I have been saving and researching extensively for some time in preparation for a purchase up from my Neuvation wheelset. What I am finding is that the Zipp 303 (in the late 2009 - 2010 edition) is a very appealing wheelset. Earlier in this post I attached testrider.com independent review of the 303's. A pretty impressive report. Have you guys even looked at it? Competitive Cyclist, which last I checked is pretty reputable, also had great things to say about it.

Ligero, what year 303's are those that are cracked? Major, and I mean major changes to the 303 were made in their current edition. Most of the changes were to enhance durability. And since when isn't the pro tour the "real world". Its about as real as it gets. I don't intend or want to sound like an ad for Zipp but again the Paris-Roubaix and other spring classics on the cobbles is a pretty tough test for wheels and Zipp 303's were on the Cervelo and Garmin teams.

I too in my research read about many rim failures with Zipp. Most of them are in older models. I think they have made some changes to rectify those problems. Again, I simply say that the Zipps are more aero, very close in weight, and can be bought new on ebay for $400 to $500 less than the Edge.

Most PT teams ride what they are paid to ride. Cycling websites (TestRider.com) rarely give negative reviews and an online bike shop such as Competitive Cyclist wants to sell wheels. They are going to give them as glowing review as they can. I'm sure they say they are the best wheel for Pave. They'll also say the same about a 32h box section rim such as their Ambrosio/Record wheelset. The point is ... they want to move products.

· Online Wheel Builder
3,214 Posts
bwhite_4 said:
Most PT teams ride what they are paid to ride. Cycling websites (TestRider.com) rarely give negative reviews and an online bike shop such as Competitive Cyclist wants to sell wheels. They are going to give them as glowing review as they can. I'm sure they say they are the best wheel for Pave. They'll also say the same about a 32h box section rim such as their Ambrosio/Record wheelset. The point is ... they want to move products.
I absolutely agree. Teams choose their sponsors by who gives them the most money so if Zipp offers 3-4 times what Edge or Reynolds does then they are going to ride them and they have to say good things about them. I believe that there was a womens pro team in the late 90s that got stuck on Softrides.

· Registered
136 Posts
Zen Cyclery said:
You cannot really compare one product's retail cost to another's on the bay.
Additionally you are comparing the weight of two sets of wheels with extremely different hubs. The 303s use Zipp's own hub which while they are not a bad they do not hold a candle to 240s. Even though they are a bit lighter than DTs they will not build nearly as stiff or as durable.

The 303 rim is claimed at 344 grams while Edge's 45 is 300 grams. The retail cost of 303s is 2285.00$ and the 45 with 240s is 2400.00$.

Also the weights you claimed for the Edge and Zipp build were a 303 in an 18/24 spoke count while the 45s are in a 20/24.

Zipp makes good wheels, but Edge makes better ones.
Actually, if you are comparing lateral stiffness, the new 2010 303 will be significantly stiffer than a edge 45 built on dt 240 hubs. In fact the 2010 303 is one of the stiffest carbon wheels that I have tested for the weight. The flange spacing on Zipp's new hubs have some of the best center to right flange spacing of any road hub.
I wouldn't rule out the 2010 303 rim but the Edge has been out a lot longer with proven durability.

· Banned
1,844 Posts
i recently purchased a set of edge 1.45's built up w/ extalite hubs and cx-ray spokes that came in at 970g.

everytime I thought about zipps I just kept seeing a reply of some guy going into a corner and having his wheel fold. If youre buying them from ebay, how do you know what youre getting? you can also bet zipp won't warranty an ebay purchase.

but- you dont need to justify your purchase to anyone but yourself! get what you think is the best for you.

· Registered
193 Posts
303 width caution

Well today I just found out that I have to rule out the Zipp 303 from my consideration. The rim is too wide for my bike. While reading on Competitive Cyclist's website about the new version (2010) 303's they mentioned that because of the width of the rim it does not fit on some bikes. Too tight between the chainstays near the junction with the bottom bracket. They recommended at least 33.5 mm clearance in that area. I went out and measured my 2008 Guru Crono frame and I have only 32 mm clearance at its slimmest point. So, unfortunately, no Zipp 303's!! Now Zen and Ligero, I am in the market for an alternative and the leading candidate is EDGE. I am considering a 1.45 front and a 1.65 rear with DT240 hubs and cxray spokes in tubular of course. What would I be looking at weight wise with a set-up like that?

· Banned
181 Posts
my 2 cents

FWW, I too am in the marklet for a new set of wheels and was initially very interested in the 2010 Zipp 303s, I think they look sexy as hell and I believed the initial reports/press/pr about the redesign, beefier rims etc.

I discussed it w mechanics at a very upscale Manhhattan NY shop that sees only and all the best gear, they dont sell anything., just custom fits and builds to order, they can get whatever the clents desire. The mechs seemes excited about the Zipps too, I was deciding between these and maybe a pair of Edges w Alchemy hubs, they also liked these alot.

One month later, mech informed me theyd already seen 2 sets of Zipps BREAK, 2 sets within a month or so if the wheels intro! Thats not good, too bad because I REALLY did like them.

So far I have not purchased anything yet, but will most likely go for the edge/alchemy combo, I do love the look of the Zipps but unfortunately I dont have much confidence.

Although I will vouch for Zipp customer service and warranty, so far I ve had great experience with them, no hassle, but I 'd rather not have equipment failures than good customer service experiences any day.

Anybody on this forum actually own and ride a pair yet??

tx

· Registered
193 Posts
This is sooo frustrating. What is Zipp's problem? How can they race the 303's on the cobbles with no problems (I actually saw an interview with Phil Grooman or whatever his name is from Cervelo talking about their teams great experience with the new 303 - and no, it wasn't an interview with a Zipp rep. or on Zipp's sight) and yet it sounds like there is a problem with them being fragile. Almost sounds like the wheels supplied to the pros are different than the ones being sold to the general public!! It wouldn't matter to me except that, like you, I find these wheels very appealing in ways no other wheel around can match (dimples and toridal shape so more aero than any other wheel at 45 mm, wider tire bed than any other wheel, etc). Arghhh.....

· Banned
181 Posts
yes it is frustrating, all I can conclude is that thr pros don t have to worry much because they can have expensive equipment swapped, repaired and replaced with little effort and no expense, the rest of us , well, our calculations have to be different and far more conservative given the outrageousness of paying +200 for bicycle wheels!

I think its possible pros break things more often than we know, and they certainl;y have brand new stuff every season so the wheels, frames etc only have to last a few grueling months at most, ours need to last years at least!~ A reliable wheel for a pro means lasting a whole race, a reliable wheel for a civilian means lasting a whole lot longer...

they can ride fragile equipment far more carelesly than we can, and youre right, maybe the builders do "special" stuff behind the scenes, although i sort of doubt thatt.

· p/1/2 pack fodder
28 Posts
zipp != durable.

Every year, Zipp says their products are more impact-resistant than the last.

In two years, I have destroyed 3 2008 404 clinchers, 2 2010 808 tubulars, and a 2010 Super9 disc. Ridiculous. Zipp wheels ride VERY WELL, there's no doubt about that, but know that you'll probably end up breaking them.

· Banned
181 Posts
No offense, but...

If you broke so many zipp wheels why would you keep buying the same thing over and over again? Thats over 5 sets of wheels, why wouldn't you switch brands? And what are you doing to break so many hweels? I have never heard of anyone breaking so many, maybe its your riding style not the rims.

Either you exaggerate or this is bs, or you are crazy!

:mad2:

· Bianchi-Campagnolo
4,040 Posts
On a tangent, I'm sort of excited aout the new for 2011 FFWD F6R-240s. Super hubs, interesting rim profile, and the possibility to deselect red.

I already own a set of climber's F2R-240s, but haven't had them out in the real world yet.
I have not heard very many bad things about FFWD, but I noticed that Quick Step did nor use any for the cobbled classics, there were what looked like the typical relabeled Ambrosio 32h aluminium tubular rims employed:

· p/1/2 pack fodder
28 Posts
Not B.S. Maybe I'm slightly crazy, but read on:

Zipp offers replacement wheels at lower than cost, so it's ~$300 for a new wheel. Like I said, they perform very well (better than other high-end wheels I've tried) but I reached my breaking point (no pun intended) and will be selling the replacements soon.

I'm riding and racing on them.

#1 dented on a pothole coming downhill (404 clincher rear)
#2 dented on a rock in the road (404 clincher front)
#3 and #4 (808 front and disc) dented on a concrete lip in the road (sort of like the ones that occur near bridges that aren't level with the asphalt)
#5 (808 rear tubular) cracked on a really nasty pothole. This pothole also cracked my friend's (a junior racer at 110lbs.) 404 tubulars.

I weigh 160.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.