Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at lighter weight aero wheelset. My question is regarding lateral stiffness since I weigh about 185lbs.

FP 40's use 18/20 spokes with a 200lb limit
303's use 20/24 spokes with a 220 lb limit.

Anyone with knowledge here think there is a significant difference in stiffness or any other factors make the 303's worth difference in cost?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I'm 10 lbs light than you and I have 303 tubulars built by one of the custom builders who posts here a lot. I really like them for racing.

I was going to have him build me a FP40 rear using a Zipp rear hub I had...... from a crash in which a Zipp rear clincher got trashed, to go with the Zipp 303 front from the same set. However, when he contacted Zipp about getting the FP40 rim, they told him that they hadn't been having "good luck" with the current run of FP40 rims and they steered him to the FP60, which is what he built for me. I've been really pleased with the Zipp/FP60 wheel and it works great with my 303 front. Given what Zipp said about its own product to a custom builder, you might want to consider the FP60s instead of the 40s

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
flat_chipmunk said:
Anyone with knowledge here think there is a significant difference in stiffness or any other factors make the 303's worth difference in cost?
The FP40s are a good deal, but they are neither very light nor aero (38mm). The 303s aren't that light either, but at least they are 6mm deeper. The FP60s are a good aero rim and probably a better choice all around than the 40s.

I'm not sure what issues Zipp was having with the old FP40 rims but I know that the new ones have been redesigned and are hopefully better.

EDIT: Just took a look at the Flashpoint site, and if their wheel weights are accurate, then the FP40 rims are a lot lighter than they used to be. They are reporting that they are ~125g lighter (each) than the FP60... which should put them ~480-490g.

·
Registered
578 Posts
rruff said:
The FP40s are a good deal, but they are neither very light nor aero (38mm). The 303s aren't that light either, but at least they are 6mm deeper. The FP60s are a good aero rim and probably a better choice all around than the 40s.

I'm not sure what issues Zipp was having with the old FP40 rims but I know that the new ones have been redesigned and are hopefully better.

EDIT: Just took a look at the Flashpoint site, and if their wheel weights are accurate, then the FP40 rims are a lot lighter than they used to be. They are reporting that they are ~125g lighter (each) than the FP60... which should put them ~480-490g.
how much are just the rims for fp40s?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rruff said:

Here is the link for anyone who is interested listing FP40 rim weight at 497g.

The Zipp catalog lists the 303 rim weight at 552Although the 303s are a little deeper I would have thought the updated layup would have negated most of that difference

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.