Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone has any experience with either one of them?? I read review on both of them, and both seem to have a good feedback. I would like to know in term of durability, performance, terrain advantage (hill/flat/rolling/crosswind/etc...) I read that ES designed specifically for climbing, but I check Zipp website, and found 303 is good for almost every categories. Again, those info could be biased since it's from Zipp website. Thank you for sharing in advace...

·
Registered
507 Posts
keang24 said:
Anyone has any experience with either one of them?? I read review on both of them, and both seem to have a good feedback. I would like to know in term of durability, performance, terrain advantage (hill/flat/rolling/crosswind/etc...) I read that ES designed specifically for climbing, but I check Zipp website, and found 303 is good for almost every categories. Again, those info could be biased since it's from Zipp website. Thank you for sharing in advace...
what type of riding are you doing? racing? are you looking at the 303 clinchers? or tubulars? the ES will be bombproof, the 303 clinchers could last a long time too (not as long as es)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mytorelli said:
what type of riding are you doing? racing? are you looking at the 303 clinchers? or tubulars? the ES will be bombproof, the 303 clinchers could last a long time too (not as long as es)
Eventually will race. But now just want to prepare for Death Ride and RAMROD (Ride Around Mt. Rainier in One Day) I'm looking for tubulars. The terrain mostly hilly over +10,000 ft in climbing and ~150 miles. I want all-around wheel suitable for hilly, flat, crit/TT, etc... Manufacturer quoted 303 as all-around and ES as climbing specific.

·
pinoy thunder
342 Posts
First of all, aren't the 303's double the price of the ES?
I wouldn't consider these two wheels in the same price range. If you're set on getting a pre-built set (not handbuilts) in that rice range, I would throw in Reynolds stratus or KOM's, Velomax Tempest, or maybe the Zipp 202's in there as well. Most of these are very aerodynamic and are freakishly light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stihl said:
First of all, aren't the 303's double the price of the ES?
I wouldn't consider these two wheels in the same price range. If you're set on getting a pre-built set (not handbuilts) in that rice range, I would throw in Reynolds stratus or KOM's, Velomax Tempest, or maybe the Zipp 202's in there as well. Most of these are very aerodynamic and are freakishly light.
I think ES is about $1,100 and 303 is about $1,700. And the Reynolds stratus or KOM you recommended are closed to 303 (around $1,800-$1,900). Of course, if they're all perform about the same as I described earlier, I rather choose ES, but if advices from you guys somehow convinct me to put extra bucks for a better, then I will considering to go for an extra $$$. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Look at SL3

Take a look at the Mavic SL3. MSRP on those wheels is $875. There is a 15 gram difference between ES and SL3. If you have the money and do not care about the cost and want the ES, they are definately sweet. To me, they are not worth the extra money for the bling factor and weight. The choice between 303 and SL3 is harder because in that case, there really is a difference in weight and cost. What are the conditions of the roads that you will be riding on? If the roads are bad, the Mavic's (any Mavic for that matter), is more durable than Zipps. Also, what weight are you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sbindra said:
Take a look at the Mavic SL3. MSRP on those wheels is $875. There is a 15 gram difference between ES and SL3. If you have the money and do not care about the cost and want the ES, they are definately sweet. To me, they are not worth the extra money for the bling factor and weight. The choice between 303 and SL3 is harder because in that case, there really is a difference in weight and cost. What are the conditions of the roads that you will be riding on? If the roads are bad, the Mavic's (any Mavic for that matter), is more durable than Zipps. Also, what weight are you?
Somebody told me before that there're almost no different between ES vs SL3 except one "red" spoke. So, what about performance wise between SL3 vs 303 beside price/weight. I'm weight 155 lbs, and road condition consider smooth since I try to avoid the hole otherwise I will get flat tire before the rim out of true.

I even consider hand-built from excelsport using OP with DT hub, 14/17guage both front and rear (28 radial front, 32 radial non-drive/3X drive). It comes out like 1476g and $625.

The last option will save me alotsssss $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. and it's light too. Thank you for your response

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.