Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Zipp recommends 23s. 25s are all the rage, tho.

·
S-Works Tarmac SL3
827 Posts
I'd put 23 on the front and 25 on the rear. I think the aero interface between tire and rim is best maintained by a 23. But I'm running 25's and I declare they ride nice.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
FWIW: Wider rims increase the installed width of a tire. 23mm tires on 23mm wide rims are ~25mm wide, making it similar to using a 25mm tire on a 19mm rim. They can be run similar pressures, have similarly wide contact patches and increased volume, but the more vertical sidewall on the 23/23 combo is said to improve handling in corners.

·
irony intended
772 Posts
I think your frame MAY ultimately factor into determining if 25mm is too big. For example, I asked Parlee if i could run the Firecrest or ENVE SES width rims on the Z5, they said yes but tires larger than 23mm would likely rub on the frame at some point...

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,671 Posts
Zipp just happens to have a very informative website w/ a great 'FAQ' section that covers tired width quite thoroughly. i'm sure w/ very little effort you could have found a lot of information from the actual manufacturers of your wheels right there.

that said, you can go as wide as will fit in your frame, wider requiring less pressure and providing better ride quality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.