Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had purchased a set of Reynolds Stratus DV's for general RR and TT use. They are still in the box (I was planning on mounting them next week). Then my new TT bike arrived, with a set of Zipp 404 Clinchers. They are heavier (about 1600g) and more aero (58mm vs. 46mm).

Now I have a dilemma. Originally I was going to sell the Zipp's and use the Reynolds instead. Now, I am not so sure. The Reynolds seem to be much lighter (350g) but they are tubular wheels. Not a downside, but definitely a bit more hassle (I have run tubies in the past and loved the ride quality. Expensive though and takes a bit more time to maintain).

As far as carbon clinchers go, I really don't know much about them. Obviously, the convenience of clinchers has to be weighed against the significant weight addition. In a TT, this won't mean much, but as a road racer (who performs best on the hills and worst on the flats) is the weight penalty probably a bad trade-off? The lightest wheels I have owned are a pair of Race X-lites at 1540g, so I really don't know what, if anything, is gained by using a light 1250g set of wheels.

Which is the better wheel for me?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
dawgcatching said:
I had purchased a set of Reynolds Stratus DV's for general RR and TT use. They are still in the box (I was planning on mounting them next week). Then my new TT bike arrived, with a set of Zipp 404 Clinchers. They are heavier (about 1600g) and more aero (58mm vs. 46mm).

Now I have a dilemma. Originally I was going to sell the Zipp's and use the Reynolds instead. Now, I am not so sure. The Reynolds seem to be much lighter (350g) but they are tubular wheels. Not a downside, but definitely a bit more hassle (I have run tubies in the past and loved the ride quality. Expensive though and takes a bit more time to maintain).

As far as carbon clinchers go, I really don't know much about them. Obviously, the convenience of clinchers has to be weighed against the significant weight addition. In a TT, this won't mean much, but as a road racer (who performs best on the hills and worst on the flats) is the weight penalty probably a bad trade-off? The lightest wheels I have owned are a pair of Race X-lites at 1540g, so I really don't know what, if anything, is gained by using a light 1250g set of wheels.

Which is the better wheel for me?
Which do YOU think is better for you? Me? I'd be hard pressed to buy a set of CF clinchers just yet. At the same time, I'm not the most unbiased person. I'm already planning a custom set of wheels w/ Stratus DV-UL rims.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alienator said:
Which do YOU think is better for you? Me? I'd be hard pressed to buy a set of CF clinchers just yet. At the same time, I'm not the most unbiased person. I'm already planning a custom set of wheels w/ Stratus DV-UL rims.
Good question. I have never ridden a set of clincher carbon wheels, so I have no idea how they will perform. The Stratus DV's are a known quantity, and pretty well liked around here! I am not going to be training on my tubulars, not with the wind as we know it here!

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
dawgcatching said:
Good question. I have never ridden a set of clincher carbon wheels, so I have no idea how they will perform. The Stratus DV's are a known quantity, and pretty well liked around here! I am not going to be training on my tubulars, not with the wind as we know it here!
My questions re: CF clinchers are with the rim walls, from the bead seat to the rim edge. It seems like in that area--the "clincher" area--a manufacturer can't lay up the CF matte to take advantage of it's benefits. In other words, it seems like the CF can't be laid up to prevent the rim walls from spreading under high pressure. Now, I know this happens with Al rims, too, but I don't know that it happens to the same degree as with CF. CF clinchers, in general, aren't particularly light.

It'd be nice to see some data on this.

·
LOOK lover
625 Posts
Forgive my confusion, but Zipp 404 clinchers have alloy rims - not carbon.

Personally, I'd prefer the Zipps over the Reynolds for TTs simply because of their deeper rims - slightly better aero advantage. Few TTs have enough hard climbing to make differences in wheel weight enough of factor to consider. If you need to sell the Zipps, the Reynolds would be fine, but otherwise I'd keep both wheelsets.

Either wheelset would be ideal for RR, although I'd be inclined to use the Reynolds because of their lighter weight.

Edit -- I should add that the aero difference between the two wheelsets is likely very small. In a TT, however, 1/100th of a second can be the difference between getting the jersey and muttering "Oh well, maybe next year!"

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
not to add to the dilemma, but......

I've never ridden zipps, but I love my stratus dv wheels. I ride them from the beginning of april to oct/nov and since reynolds figured out the issue w/ my rear wheel spokes (see my reviews on rbr), they've been bombproof. Riding the roads in dutchess county, NY in early april (especially in my town) can be like riding thru a mine field- lots o bombs!

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
BugMan said:
Forgive my confusion, but Zipp 404 clinchers have alloy rims - not carbon.

Personally, I'd prefer the Zipps over the Reynolds for TTs simply because of their deeper rims - slightly better aero advantage. Few TTs have enough hard climbing to make differences in wheel weight enough of factor to consider. If you need to sell the Zipps, the Reynolds would be fine, but otherwise I'd keep both wheelsets.

Either wheelset would be ideal for RR, although I'd be inclined to use the Reynolds because of their lighter weight.

Edit -- I should add that the aero difference between the two wheelsets is likely very small. In a TT, however, 1/100th of a second can be the difference between getting the jersey and muttering "Oh well, maybe next year!"
Yer right. I was dismembering Zipp clincher construction and cornfuzing it with other clinchers.

·
EuroCrash
485 Posts
The no hassle solution will be the zipps as they are clinchers and your brake pads will not wear out with the speed of light. If you, however, find that you're missing that last little thing when it comes to climbing I'd go with the Reynolds. For most mortals it probably will not make a difference.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I once emailed Reynolds about your concern about rim spreading. The Stratus clinchers are rated to 147 psi, and their response said they have never had a failure with the tire blowing off the rim during braking or otherwise. It seems the rim spreading issue is more of a theoretical concern...

As for lightness - I consider them light for the rim depth - no other clinchers at that rim depth are that light.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Thorn Bait said:
I once emailed Reynolds about your concern about rim spreading. The Stratus clinchers are rated to 147 psi, and their response said they have never had a failure with the tire blowing off the rim during braking or otherwise. It seems the rim spreading issue is more of a theoretical concern...

As for lightness - I consider them light for the rim depth - no other clinchers at that rim depth are that light.
Like I implied, I don't have any data but would be interested in seeing it. I think that making an all CF clincher requires that the manufacturer over build the rim 'cuz o' the fact that the clincher part of the rim doesn't really avail itself of CF strengths. I know the rim spreading has been a concern to some of the manufacturers. Still, it's not like there's been a rash of stories about CF clincher failures or tires blowing off CF clinchers.

No doubt they're light compared to other, uhm, comparable rims. I feel the same about Stratus DV-UL rims. Well, actually my feelings for those rims also have an unholy, lust drenched component.....but I prolly shouldn't discuss that in mixed company.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.