Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of zipp 404 tubular wheels which I was going to use for my road bike. I am now thinking of using them for the cross bike. Would these wheels be durable enough for cross riding or would I need to get the cross specific 404's? I weigh about 165 lbs.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,582 Posts
depends completely on how you ride and how lucky you are. you may get thru a season or even 2 w/ no damage, you might crack a rim on your first lap of the year. but...you could do that on the cx specific rims too...i have some 303's that i've been running for a couple of years, they got a small crack from a manhole cover during a crit the first year i got them, they now have a few crits plus 2 full cross seasons on them and they're still going. i swear i ding 'em at least once every race, but so far...no more damage. there's really no way anyone on a forum can predict whether you will be ok racing on them or not, you have to make that decision for yourself. you've got 'em, i say go for it. glue on some nice tires and have at it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
404's

Thanks for the reply. I would love to go ahead and put tubies on the 404's and ride away. The reason I asked is that the 404's are brand new, never ridden. I could sell them for more now (since they are unused) and get something different for the cross bike if they are too weak. Would you try to sell/trade these or ride them?

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
will2007 said:
Thanks for the reply. I would love to go ahead and put tubies on the 404's and ride away. The reason I asked is that the 404's are brand new, never ridden. I could sell them for more now (since they are unused) and get something different for the cross bike if they are too weak. Would you try to sell/trade these or ride them?
I'd sell them and get a set of Reynolds for cross. Just watch Bonktown and the Reynolds invariably come up for less than a grand.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,582 Posts
they're strong, for sure. the rep bounced a carbon clincher rim off the concrete floor at interbike a few times when we asked about it. amazing. come to think of it, i don't think i've ever seen one of their tubular rims get crunched they way zipps do. get 'em.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts