Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got a Cervelo Soloist Carbon with a PowerTap Rear wheel. The Wheelset is a Bontrager Race X-Lite and is fine for most riding. However, I've heard recently that getting just a front deep dish wheel, like a Zipp 404, would provide almost as much benefit as having them on both the front and rear for racing. Is this true? I certainly don't want to replace the powertap Bontrager wheel.

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
rear

bikerdoug said:
Recently got a Cervelo Soloist Carbon with a PowerTap Rear wheel. The Wheelset is a Bontrager Race X-Lite and is fine for most riding. However, I've heard recently that getting just a front deep dish wheel, like a Zipp 404, would provide almost as much benefit as having them on both the front and rear for racing. Is this true? I certainly don't want to replace the powertap Bontrager wheel.
I read, I think on the Analytic Cycling site, that the rear wheel has 25% less drag, because it's somewhat shielded by the frame, etc.

Nonetheless, I'm quite certain that my rear disk wheel gives me about a 1 mph advantage; anything that costs that much should ;-)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.