Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Zipp 404 tubular wheelset which I mostly use for racing. Recently, the rear hub keeps on getting loose no matter if I tighten it as tight as possible using two allen keys from both ends.

During a road race today, the rear wheel had so much brake rub each time I stood on the pedals that I had to open up my rear brake in order to avoid any brake rubbing. At the end of the race, my Zipp 404 rear wheel had about 5mm play.

Is there something I could do to avoid this happening?

·
downhill quickly
755 Posts
Sounds like what I'm experiencing but I'm not racing or on 2008's, I'm on 2012.
I can understand the 2008 Zip body (which if I was the the OP and having no idea of the wear and tear of his racing/riding experience...the hub would be *completely* disassembled, cleaned, inspected, lubed and reassembled) but for the 2012 hub?! That wheel and hub body is call your doctor stiff (in Zipp standards) compared to the 2008. Not to assume anything, but for many with Zipp wheels, feeling play in a non spinning unweighted Zipp hub is a false positive. But certainly something is amiss s40ne if your experience on or off saddle has you feeling slop and forward "go-go" a no-show.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.