Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
You can do way better than Zipp. If you want to spend the dough, go with Reynolds, Rolf, or HED. You'll be much happier. And I wouldn't go carbon off the bat, get some aluminum rims, you can beat them much more than carbon.

Tim

·
Registered
655 Posts
AidanM said:
might want to be more specific wether youre getting tubs or clinchers.

a bit of a fancy wheel to start out on, id recomend lightweight obermayers, theyre cheap and less fancy than zipps.
:mad2: were do you get THAT from???? More, much more money for LW's and much more a class act then Zipps

I had some 2007 Zipps (yes they died). IMO Edge rims http://fairwheelbikes.com/index.php...id=675&zenid=f8950afc2d44ac747e934f68edabc57c built on perhaps a DTSwiss hub is a much better wheel. If your starting out I question that you will get the performence gains of these wheels for some time however unless you are one of those gifted few that win every race from day one (in that case I hate you ;)
Some people find deep dish wheels a problem in cross winds. If your hearts set I also consider Reynolds. Have you considered cheaper wheels and a powermeter? I'm just say'n

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
homebrew said:
:mad2: were do you get THAT from???? More, much more money for LW's and much more a class act then Zipps

I had some 2007 Zipps (yes they died). IMO Edge rims http://fairwheelbikes.com/index.php...id=675&zenid=f8950afc2d44ac747e934f68edabc57c built on perhaps a DTSwiss hub is a much better wheel. If your starting out I question that you will get the performence gains of these wheels for some time however unless you are one of those gifted few that win every race from day one (in that case I hate you ;)
Some people find deep dish wheels a problem in cross winds. If your hearts set I also consider Reynolds. Have you considered cheaper wheels and a powermeter? I'm just say'n
My LBS mentioned about the delamination and a different LBS mentioned about having zipp warranty returns for nipple pull through. A pick that wheelset because it was made in america and thats what I saw CSC riding. Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
185 Posts
toolmaker...............remember one thing when buying cycling equipment....Pros will ride what they are paid to ride. Not because it is good or anything. And don't get me wrong, there is alot of equipment they ride that I would love to ride.

John

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Try it before you buy it...

Deep section wheels like that are very sensitive to cross winds. As a "just starting out" road cyclist, you might find you made an expensive mistake.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
... I've got both ZIPP 404 clinchers (clydesdale) and tubulars with several K on each (never crashed) and no probs. Both sets are circa 2001 - 2003...

I consider both sets a specialty wheelset... not every day though I suspect that they could be used as such under the right conditions. I don't think I would have them as a primary/only wheelset.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
homebrew said:

Could you elaborate on "yes they died"

·
Registered
51 Posts
Akirasho said:
... I've got both ZIPP 404 clinchers (clydesdale) and tubulars with several K on each (never crashed) and no probs. Both sets are circa 2001 - 2003...

I consider both sets a specialty wheelset... not every day though I suspect that they could be used as such under the right conditions. I don't think I would have them as a primary/only wheelset.
I have three sets of ZIPP wheels;

2008 202 Tubulars
2007 404 Tubulars
2007 606 Tubulars (On TriBike)

I ride the ZIP's as my everyday wheels. I have had absolutely no problems or issues with any of them. I find the ride smooth and the wheels very comfortable.

My feeling is if you want and can afford them, why not get them. I have friends that have found the Reynolds not quite as robust with respect to road damage, but I have also hear the opposite. If you ride pot hole prone roads and jump curbs, no carbon wheel will have longevity.

Enjoy what you ride.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I haven't had any mechanical issues with my 2007 404's, rear built up w/PT. What i don't like, is having that front wheel acting like a rudder in the wind, particularly quartering headwinds. I like to ride a 404 rear, something lighter up front, and a little lees deep, works better for me on hills and windy conditions. YMMV

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
How loud is the freehub in Zipp wheels?
... on my oldest set of 404s, the pawls are loud enuff as to negate certain race tactics and strategies!!! It's only on the one set but dayumn... if I try to coast a bit in preperation to get a jump on a lead rider, the wheelz telegraph my intent!

Course, I'm not much of a racer... and the only time I really use 'em to race is in TTs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.