Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just upgraded bikes and my new one has a 10 speed cassette, my old Zipp 440 wheels are made for 8 speed. What can I do besides changing the hub? I'd really like to continue using these wheels for TT and Duathlons.
Here's the bike

And the hub

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Is the hub threaded or a cassette version? If it's cassette, then a 10 spees cassette will fit. Just make sure you use the washer supplied with the cassette. If it's threaded, then it's rebuild time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it is a casette type, a 10 speed goes on it but it has alot of slack or slop. It doesn't fit snug on the splines.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
santcruzer said:
I believe it is a casette type, a 10 speed goes on it but it has alot of slack or slop. It doesn't fit snug on the splines.
Why did you show the non-cassette side of the hub?

Anyway, 10-speed Shimano cassettes are the same width (with the spacer included with the cassette) as the Shimano 8 and 9-speed cassettes.

TF

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TurboTurtle said:
Why did you show the non-cassette side of the hub?
TF
I was trying to show the type of zipp hub, it was 5 am and I was waiting for the coffee to be done, here is the other side. Like I said before it fits but there is a lot of movement from front to back (between the splines). The zipp freehub does not have the one spline that is slightly larger like most modern hubs. My LBS has talked to Zipp today all they can suggest is a new hub, spokes and $350.00. That ain't happening on some 10 year old rims.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts