Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have experiences on them?

There is the clincher version and tubie version. Tubies are 400 grams lighter at around 1450gm and clinchers 1850gm, presumably the rim weight. I'm all with clinchers, because I really don't think tubies make all THAT much difference in ride quality, speed, etc., and saves some trouble when getting a flat. Clinchers stop better and are more conventional... There are a lot of studies done on this and I think those are the general conclusions.

The reason I asked about the weight was because if a lighter rider uses the heavier clinchers, would that be some sort of advantage to keep bike stable in cross winds? and plus these are not exactly feather weight wheels.

I don't know, I'm still more attracted to clinchers. Tubie tires are quite more expensive and gluing messes up somewhat easily. In this case weight does make a significant difference at 400g though.

What are the general preference in this case (808's)? I don't have exotic rims like those but I'm just very curious.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
The weight of the wheel is not really going to make as much of a difference in stability in a cross wind as is your ability to handle a bike in a crosswind. You will notice a 400g difference between wheels, and tubulars do have a nice ride, though, like you mentioned, they aren't without their own pitfalls. If you're unsure about crosswinds, I'd say go with something like 404s or a 404 front & 808 rear. Clincher/tubular is up to you. Personally, I like clinchers for training and use tubulars for racing.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
i would think that the 808 is only going to be used (at least most of the time) for tt or tri's. in that case, as long as the course is mostly flat, weight is not going to be much of an issue. on the track, especially indoors, you'd want light weight and wouldn't be concerned w/ conditions getting windy, so the tubular would be the way to go. for road race use, i'd agree w/ andrea and use the 404 or 303/404 combo. in that case i'd use tubulars for sure as weight (400g is huge) makes a big difference. braking performance isn't really much of an issue any more. if you take a look at any elite or pro race photos, nearly all of 'em are on carbon. if they were that bad, the guys/girls wouldn't use 'em.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool-thanks.

now..

should I leave the stickers in the back or take them out like front? just for cosmetic purposes...looking for opinions :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts