Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So according to this the patent that Zipp and Hed had on the toroidal shape rim has expired. Pretty soon we won't have to pay these two companies obscene prices to get a set of those rims since anyone can now make them. Get ready for some price drops.

http://bit.ly/cOpCy0

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, both companies switched or are in the process of switching over to different shaped rims since the patent expired so don't expect much of a price drop. Actually, in the case of HED, you can expect a price increase.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep, but other companies can now make the toroidal rim, more competition equals lower prices. But I guess if you want the latest and greatest then you have to pay the price.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm wondering if patents had much impact on the avaliability of toroidal rims from the far east. It's not like they haven't blaitently copied other designs with little to no regaurd for North American licensing laws.

Will be interesting to see what Asian no name brands release this winter.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
backinthesaddle said:
I can send my contacts at Deng Fu and Hong Fu a couple of emails and find out...
You do whatever you want. With contacts like that I'm not messing with you!

·
Administrator
12,959 Posts
Wines of WA said:
Aside from cheap Chinese rims, it'd be great if Enve/Edge adopted more aero shapes.
In progress.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts