Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss wants me to build a zipp 505 with a power tap hub for a customer . The cust. is 6 foot 5 and 280lbs he has raced 2 races and is a cat 5. My qustion is shouldnt he build the PT hub to a training rim like a Mavic open pro? Isnt power tap better for a training tool and not as a race day set up? Will a zipp 505 hold up as a every day wheel for him? I dont feel right building the zip with the power tap, I think it would be better for the cust. to be able to use the PT on a every day wheel. Im I wrong???

Thx Tony

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
gambo2166 said:
My boss wants me to build a zipp 505 with a power tap hub for a customer . The cust. is 6 foot 5 and 280lbs he has raced 2 races and is a cat 5. My qustion is shouldnt he build the PT hub to a training rim like a Mavic open pro? Isnt power tap better for a training tool and not as a race day set up? Will a zipp 505 hold up as a every day wheel for him? I dont feel right building the zip with the power tap, I think it would be better for the cust. to be able to use the PT on a every day wheel. Im I wrong???

Thx Tony
This seems like a bad plan, a very bad plan. I wouldn't want to train on a zipp rim, and I certianlly don't think he should be training on a zipp rim. Sell him the PT on a mavic open pro, or a DT swiss rr1.1, and then sell him a set of zipps with Pave rims, IF he insists. He will destroy that rim, no ifs ands or buts about it.

As for racing on a pt, sure you can, but yeah it's mostly a training tool, mostly people race training races on a pt.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
gambo2166 said:
Im I wrong???

Thx Tony
You're probably right, but the customer is always right. If that is what he wants give it to him. He can figure out on his own down the road whether it was a good idea or not.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
You're probably right, but the customer is always right. If that is what he wants give it to him. He can figure out on his own down the road whether it was a good idea or not.
Nothing wrong in telling a customer something is a bad idea. If he/she insists, by all means deliver it.
If I was in the shop while the order was made and the shop guys did not mention anything, I am not sure that shop would have me as a costumer in the future.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
den bakker said:
Nothing wrong in telling a customer something is a bad idea. If he/she insists, by all means deliver it.
But it sounds to me that the issue here is either telling the boss that what was sold to the customer was a bad idea, or going around the boss to contradict the boss's advice directly with the customer. Not knowing the boss or the customer, I'm not sure how good an idea either is.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
asgelle said:
But it sounds to me that the issue here is either telling the boss that what was sold to the customer was a bad idea, or going around the boss to contradict the boss's advice directly with the customer. Not knowing the boss or the customer, I'm not sure how good an idea either is.
ok, I won't shop there because of the manager :) fair enough.
disclaimer no I dont know enough to condem to owner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts