Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This hub of mine has some noticeable freeplay, and there doesn't seem to be a way to "preload" it out because this hub doesn't come with preload. According to Zipp, this hub uses precision machining such that it won't ever require preloading. Well, my rear wheel now has developed a freeplay and I have no option to preload it out. I've already tried tighten down the skewer, it ain't working.

So what's left to try here? These bearings are relatively new, i'm guessing about 2000-3000 miles on them, and non-abusive miles at that. What about the axel? Axels just don't shrink in size, do they? When I remove the wheel endcaps and wiggle the axel, I do notice some slight freeplay, so there is some freeplay between the axel and bearings. I'm scratching my head now. May be this is all normal on this hub?

Zipp's previous gen hub was the 88/188 (yeah, their previous hub had a larger number designation, weird), and that hub still used a preload mechanism, and though the preload was poorly working (nothing like Shimano!), at least it had a preload mechanism. The later 77/177 rear hub has no such option.

I'm scratching my head now. Why can't Zipp make a reliable rear hub? Why don't they outsource their hubs to DT Swiss, White Industry, I9, Sram, Novatec, etc, instead of trying to design their own hubs.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump.
Nobody has any Zipp wheels using the 77/177 hub? I thought everyone uses Zipp or Enve here?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,944 Posts

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does zipp make the sh8tiest hubs of all the 1st tier wheel manufacturers? I guess so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts