Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANyone tried these? I can get a pair new for $550. I run 9 speed, and I am concerned that a 9 speed cassette won't fit because of what a friend told me. I thought that 9 and 10 speed cassettes worked on all the same stuff.

So if anyone can enlighten me that would be great. Zipp website wasn't specific on the 10 speed thing. I figure that if they don't specifically state 10 speed only I am probably safe.

These will be used on the road 99% of the time. The rest of the time will be in cyclocross races.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Zipp's CSC

I don't get the hype on those wheels. You can get the same type wheels, or much better wheels, for a lot cheaper, almost anywhere else.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cydswipe said:
I don't get the hype on those wheels. You can get the same type wheels, or much better wheels, for a lot cheaper, almost anywhere else.

cheaper than $550 shipped and somewhere other than neuvation or excel sports?

I didn't ask about other wheels, and what is alot cheaper than $550 shipped. I want these because they are supposed to be good for cross as well as road. The others would be probably but I want to try these.

I like how the hubs are set up. I like the weight. Has anyone ridden these wheels? That and compatibility with 9 speed is all I wanted. thanks. If you haven't ridden them or you don't know anyone who has or read a review, I don't see how you base your opinion on anything solid.

Maybe you guys have and I am wrong if so please tell me

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Zipp hubs aren't going to be good for cyclocross. They have terrible seals, and are widely regarded as poor quality hubs. While the $550 deal is a good price for those wheels, they are still over-priced.

I agree with the others, get Dura-Ace, Ultegra, Record, Chorus, or DT hubs laced to a DT or Open Pro. For under $550 you can add fancy spokes (Sapim, bladed or Revolutions). The hub will be better, the weight will be comparable and the cost will be similar or less.

·
Registered
60 Posts
euro-trash said:
Zipp hubs aren't going to be good for cyclocross. They have terrible seals, and are widely regarded as poor quality hubs. While the $550 deal is a good price for those wheels, they are still over-priced.

I agree with the others, get Dura-Ace, Ultegra, Record, Chorus, or DT hubs laced to a DT or Open Pro. For under $550 you can add fancy spokes (Sapim, bladed or Revolutions). The hub will be better, the weight will be comparable and the cost will be similar or less.

Thanks for you input. You are probably correct about the cross stuff.

·
Registered
616 Posts
$550? Dead cost is $581. Zipp hubs do, in fact, suck. I got my 303s built with DT240 hubs and don't worry about them.

Get something else or ride them until the hubs fail and get them rebuilt with better hubs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
merckx56 said:
$550? Dead cost is $581. Zipp hubs do, in fact, suck. I got my 303s built with DT240 hubs and don't worry about them.

Get something else or ride them until the hubs fail and get them rebuilt with better hubs.

They are a good deal at 550. I have a friend with connections. ;)

I will probably risk it. These wheels are only going to see about 50-75 miles per week when it is not summer time. Summer is mostly mountain bike time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts