Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have any reviews on this wheel set. I kinda would like something more than the company info.
Zipp flash-point 60 carbon composite set.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
838 Posts
lsthe3 said:
I have the FP40 and they didn't last 300 MILES. Look at differt options. I have heard good things about the comparable Mavics Carbon
I would like to hear what about the wheels did not last longer than 300 miles. I was looking into selling wheels built with Flash Point rims and would like to hear the problems you had with them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im not an expert with wheels. The problems I ran into were the following. Overheating rims causing delamination. Hubs freezing or locking up, Spoke nipples bulling through. All of these problems seem to be common in Zipp products. If you go to the review board on this site you can see similar experiences.

On Zipps defense the initial customer service has been good at giving me a RA number. Hopefully they will send a new pair without any hassle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just bought them in June so I believe they might be 2005. Like I said the customer services was responsive. Time will tell if they follow through. From my feed back at rides it seems like the Mavics are the way to go.

·
Registered
44 Posts
after talking with Zipp CS seems liked they are replacing the wheels free of charge. So far I am very pleased with the cust service. I'm crossing my fingers that Zipp has fixed the 05 problem and looking forward to enjoying the new wheelset

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the red decals. I will keep you posted on the new wheels ans the color of the decals. Do you know if the white decals are the new decals? I saw a picture of them and like them, kind of hoping I get the white decals.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes the white decals are the 06's. Just talked with someone over at Zipp. They stated that they have changed the rim structure to keep it from delaminating. One of the issues they had with the 05's. I'm leaning toward getting the 60's, but I'm on the bubble for the recommended rider weight. I'm 205.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im 190 ideally looking to get to 175 for next race season. The guys at Zipp have said the 60 ares more durable and a better fit for the bigger riders such as us. When I was on the 40s they didnt seem to bad in the crosswinds. I do wonder about the 60s.

Where do you live? I am in Chicago without any hills therefore no major descents and feel comfortable with the deeper 60s. Descending on larger hills would prefer the 40s for more control.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pittsburgh, good bit of hills. I would not be using them for hilly courses though. I'd just use them for crits and rolling races. they do not make these in a clydsdale version. I'd hate to drop the money only to find out they wouldn't hold up to my size. I may have to take that chance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow! An update to my FlashPoint problem:

As stated I had horrible problems with my 2005 FP40s. I called Zipp to explaing the problem, they took them in without ANY resistence and have replaced them with 06 FP60s all with in 6 business days.

I have to say I am extremely impressed with Zipps customer service. TOP NOTCH and was very refreshing. I will keep anyone informed on how well these new wheels are improved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.