Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Zipp 404 rear wheel with a cracked rim. Zipp won't repair it because of its age, nor will they sell me a replacement rim so I can fix it myself. I was able to find a third-party that was willing to sell me a rim for like $1K, but I don't think the wheel is worth putting that kind of money into.

I hate to trash the wheel though, because the hub and spokes are all in good condition. Are there some less expensive, similar depth rims (24 spokes, clincher w/ alum brake track) that I could use instead? I could transfer the stickers so the wheels would still match. Or, do you think I could just take out the hub and sell it alone?

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
There's been a lot of improvements in the hub & rim design in the last 8-9 years. I would just trash the wheel and get a new one.

You could "part out" just the hub alone -- I suspect you wouldn't get too much for an 8 yr old hub. But even $20-50 is better than nothing.

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already got some new wheels! :D

View attachment 279209

I'm just trying to figure out if, with minimal investment, I can get the rear wheel going again to match with my front Zipp (which is still good) and have a backup aero wheelset (already have some backup low profile alum clinchers). If not, I'll just sell the remaining front wheel to help offset the cost of the new wheels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.