Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Gore Tex thinsulate Parka. The zipper needs to be replaced. The store recommended a repair service that does professional work. The problem is the cost.
With shipping both ways, it could cost me nearly $200. I could buy a new parka for that money. I really hate to discard it since it is perfect except for the zipper.
Local tailors do not seem to have heavy duty zippers, and I do not know whether it will still be waterproof when they are finished with it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Find out if your local tailors are idiots. Because they probably are if they can't get their hands on pretty much any zipper you need.

Check this site out, read around a little, and you'll probably be able to figure out what zipper you need. Buy it, and find a reasonable tailor to put it in for you.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/zippers.html

There are probably dozens of sites that sell zippers like this, and some might even be way better.

Not a turnkey operation, but at least you can get it sorted. I applaud your interest in saving the jacket, so keep at it. Just because you could buy a new jacket for the price of getting this one fixed doesn't mean you should.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
I'd call your nearest REI and ask them. $200. seems ridiculous.

edit: was typing during the earlier posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Call Bean, don't they have a lifetime warranty? It's just a zipper, any competent tailor should be able to replace a zipper.

You should be able to buy one online and have them install it. As for waterproof zippers, unless you have a drysuit zipper or something like that it won't be waterproof, let the jacket flap do that job..

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
LL Bean does have good customer support- not sure as good as REI, but it's worth a shot.

also, your local REI will have a local company that they trust for repairs of this nature.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Shoe repair places occasionally do heavy duty zipper repair.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
what's wrong with the zipper?......if it is just the pull, they sell repair kits I am a master of zipper repair (not replacement) post up a picture......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts