Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I"m a bit unfamiliar with zipp wheels but have been drooling over them for years because they look so cool. I have read a little bit about each model, from the newer 202's to the very expensive racing wheels. Are these primarily race wheels (i'm guessing from the price of them that they are mostly for racing) or would something like the 202's be reasonable to use as an overall training/racing tire? Frankly, they are rather sweet looking wheels and I have been thinking about spluring and getting some, although 85% of riding is done recreationally and only about 15% racing. I have also been looking at some of the Reynold's carbon clinchers. Would love to get a nice set of wheels that would be durable, fast, and great for climbing and...........quite frankly.......look cool :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
I would be very carful using ZIPP's for a crit. I would use them in a road race when needed and time trials of course. I trained on 404's most of last year ( built on a PT) and didn't see anything wrong with them. I prefer Reynolds and am now pushing Assaults Carbon Clinchers. Wheels were meant to be ridden. Period. if you buy them ride them pretty simple. if you crash them you have to come up with the $$$$ to do it again.

Some will say high end carbon wheels are for racing only. Rubbish. I've found that I like setting PR up climbs and solo TT's etc.. it's fun and keeps me pushing.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have owned 404s since January. I love riding on them. But I rarely do.

About the only time they get to see the light of day is an occasional ~10mi TT that would be stage 1 of a Georgia Cup stage race or omnium. Also, I may occasionally do a practice session on my TT bike.

I would never use them for crits. That's what my Ksyriums are for. Far too many crashes in crits.

I have been tempted to use them for road race stages. The past weekend, I changed my mind at the last minute and opted for the Ksyriums. Just as well: in the sprint, a guy bounced into me, his skewer went into my front wheel and snapped a spoke. I am glad I left the 404s at home.

I can't afford to replace them. So I rarely use them. But at the price I paid, they are not depreciating....

·
Registered
51 Posts
The only racing I do are Time Trials, that said, no issue with using my Zipp's. For everyday riding and training I ride Zipp 202's (2008 version) and 404's both with PowerTap hubs.

I have used the 404's almost everyday for the past year and a half with absolutely no problems. My feeling is that these wheels are so comfortable I don't want to ride anything else.

Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.