Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has these with powertap. Thinking of buying some used 303s with powertap but wondering what I'd use them for. I obviously could use them for racing but I thought the best thing for powertap was training. I currently train on Ksyrium Elites since they are rock solid and then when I go to race and throw on the race wheelset (Eurus '06) I feel especially fast. Are people training daily on these Zipps with powertap? Would I be asking for mechanical problems and tire damage at 195 pounds and daily usage? the deal is pretty sweet but if I don't use the powertap for daily training then it's too much money for race wheels with a fancy gadget.

· Looking for my Amish Love
948 Posts
Are you speaking of the zipp clincer or tubular in 303? Either way the power-tap for training is "usually" built up on a strong box type rim, like a Mavic Open Pro. Its not mean to be a light weight wheel set up but a durable training wheel for information gathering with the power tap hub. For what its worth I witnessed a carbon rim crack this weekend when the rider hit a turtle on a descent. the carbon fiber rim failed as well as the poor turtle's shell. I would not want to use carbon rims for anything but racing, and not training.

· Registered
2,771 Posts
although i don't use one, a power meter is a very usefull training tool if used properly. If i had one i'd race on it too. You get all that good data on your training rides but even more important is to be able to see how it relates to your race days. I'd say first buy your power tap wheel on an open pro or equlivant, then if you've got the spare nickels, lace it up to a 404

you get a lot more aero benifit from the 404 rim then the 303, but if you do more climbing races perhaps the couple hundred grams is better saved with the 303.

i've got a set of 303 tubies and a 606 set on the way (606 is a 404 up front and and 808 in back)

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I have a friend that rides 404s with powertap. He doesn't race, and uses it on every ride just to monitor his progress. I think he has had them just over a year with no problems (again, they are ridden for every ride).

· limit screwed
807 Posts
Like Dfleck touched on, if you aren't going to race with your Powertap, you won't be able to really use the data for training as effectively. It's good to get a power baseline for a race, and to be able to evaluate your power outputs during certain parts of a race that will give you information on how to train better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.