Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day, I didn't have much free time, so I did a short workout. I did just over 1 mile warm up, then reset my Garmin for the actual workout. What's odd is that my HR stayed above 90% of max the entire time. I've never kept this level for that time, and also haven't been able to ride in over one week.

Have you ever had a workout like this?

<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/323716320'></iframe>

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
When I do my FTP tests I might come close to 90% of max heart rate for 1 hour, but I basically have to turn myself inside out to achieve that. Did you feel like you we're going to die? :)

For comparison, I just completed a 4.5 hour ride at 18.3 mph and climbed 3800 feet (on a single speed road bike) and my average heart rate was around 140 (max is 172).

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Hmmm, don't know about zones but I do a 22 mile TT at an average HR just over 90% of my measured max. That's 165+ bpm with a max of 183 (61 yrs old).

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked my HR compared to other rides, including climbs and intervals. The HR is accurate. I didn't feel like I was dying, although I did feel close to running out of steam most of the ride. I was speaking to someone today, and he was suggesting I may have been under-hydrated, yet I did have plenty of water before and during.
This ride just defies the norm. I've been able to keep up upper 80's for this distance in the past. /shrug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.