Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else encounter similar issues with Zwift?

I contacted Zwift a few weeks ago about an issue I had been having with laptop freezing while running Zwift. I'll be midway through a workout and the screen will just freeze, and my only option is hold down the power button and force a restart. After viewing the log files I sent them, it was suggested that the problem could likely be that my graphics drivers, and that I should update them. I've since updated all that needed updated. But the laptop froze on me again this morning.

I really need to figure out what is causing this problem, whether the laptop simply isn't able to keep up with the demands of the Zwift program, or it is Zwift itself. This has been a problem that I have experienced on occasion ever since using Zwift, but I've noticed it more frequently now that I am using Workout mode. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C55-C with an Intel Core i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20 GHz. It has 8GB or RAM. It is a 64bit Windows 8.1 operating system. Is this sufficient?

Upon starting Zwift, I put Norton Security Suite in "Silent Mode" which insures that there are no background tasks running while I am on Zwift.

I have the laptop set on a stand beside me while on the bike, and an HDMI cable from it plugged into the back of my Samsung flat screen television positioned in front of me.

I am not Wi-fi, but instead connected via Ethernet cable directly to the cable modem. However, could brief internet drops cause this screen freeze issue?

I am at a loss. I've adjusted the computer and graphics setting for "performance" in hopes that it will help handle the program. Not sure what else to do.

Any advice?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Set the resolution to the lowest setting within Zwift, and run a fan on the laptop during your session. Ideally, elevate the bottom of the laptop, and have the fan blow from one side of the keyboard to the other, such that air is flowing across the top and bottom.

I used to game a great deal, and the bulk of any "freezes" I had were due to the system/graphics card overheating. If it were a drivers issue, the app would most likely not run (e.g. - Zwift will not start if trying to run via remote desktop instance).

·
Registered
553 Posts
I don't know much about computers but I am just running a basic 10 year old Dell I5 with an upgraded SS drive and it runs Zwift very well in the highest performance mode Zwift offered. I would think your's should run it fine. I bet it is heat related.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Anyone else encounter similar issues with Zwift?

I contacted Zwift a few weeks ago about an issue I had been having with laptop freezing while running Zwift. I'll be midway through a workout and the screen will just freeze, and my only option is hold down the power button and force a restart. After viewing the log files I sent them, it was suggested that the problem could likely be that my graphics drivers, and that I should update them. I've since updated all that needed updated. But the laptop froze on me again this morning.

I really need to figure out what is causing this problem, whether the laptop simply isn't able to keep up with the demands of the Zwift program, or it is Zwift itself. This has been a problem that I have experienced on occasion ever since using Zwift, but I've noticed it more frequently now that I am using Workout mode. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C55-C with an Intel Core i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20 GHz. It has 8GB or RAM. It is a 64bit Windows 8.1 operating system. Is this sufficient?

Upon starting Zwift, I put Norton Security Suite in "Silent Mode" which insures that there are no background tasks running while I am on Zwift.

I have the laptop set on a stand beside me while on the bike, and an HDMI cable from it plugged into the back of my Samsung flat screen television positioned in front of me.

I am not Wi-fi, but instead connected via Ethernet cable directly to the cable modem. However, could brief internet drops cause this screen freeze issue?

I am at a loss. I've adjusted the computer and graphics setting for "performance" in hopes that it will help handle the program. Not sure what else to do.

Any advice?
that should be enough computer to run at the lower modes. you could test your internet speed with Speedtest but my experience is that slow internet will cause you to fly off the road, not lock up your computer. There is a tool that can analyze your Zwift frame rate a performance (Swiftalyzer) based on your log files. THat might give some clues

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I just did a test run with the task manager open and watching performance while I rode a short recovery ride. CPU, Memory, and Disk C never got high enough to cause me any concern, usually remaining in the 20% or 30% range. It could be an overheating issue such as colnago suggested, so I'm going to at least put a couple rubber spacers beneath laptop next time to get the air flowing a bit beneath it.

One thing I did notice while I was tooling around, is that Wi-Fi mode was enabled even though I have the laptop connected directly to the modem upstairs via Ethernet cable. I wonder if that had something to do with it.

I'm pondering opening the laptop up and cleaning it a bit, even though it is in a rather clean air environment. I just worry about breaking things when I open them up.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Another vote for heat if the graphics card is okay.

Prop up the laptop on some forks, yes dinner forks, to allow air under and around it. Put a fan directly on the laptop itself. Worth a shot.

It's not the internet. If your internet goes out or whatnot the other people will disappear but everything will remain working for you.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
You have a integrated graphics card on that laptop, not dedicated which might be the problem, that's not going to have much processing power. Reducing the output resolution to the minimum would help probably, and/or using the VGA output instead of HDMI if it has VGA out. Definitely don't use full high definition output if it gives you that option, your native screen resolution is lower than that.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Thanks guys. I just did a test run with the task manager open and watching performance while I rode a short recovery ride. CPU, Memory, and Disk C never got high enough to cause me any concern, usually remaining in the 20% or 30% range. It could be an overheating issue such as colnago suggested, so I'm going to at least put a couple rubber spacers beneath laptop next time to get the air flowing a bit beneath it.

One thing I did notice while I was tooling around, is that Wi-Fi mode was enabled even though I have the laptop connected directly to the modem upstairs via Ethernet cable. I wonder if that had something to do with it.

I'm pondering opening the laptop up and cleaning it a bit, even though it is in a rather clean air environment. I just worry about breaking things when I open them up.
Wood, Zwift really doesn't tax the CPU much. Your I5 should more than handle that part. I assume what happens here is that Zwift works fine for awhile and then things go downhill? That would reinforce the heat theory. As far as resolution, Zwift picks the resolution it thinks your HW can handle. You can override that by editing a configuration file but try the cooling approach first

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I've got a little program on my laptop called Core Temp that I use to monitor stuff, you could try that to see if temps are an issue.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wood, Zwift really doesn't tax the CPU much. Your I5 should more than handle that part. I assume what happens here is that Zwift works fine for awhile and then things go downhill? That would reinforce the heat theory. As far as resolution, Zwift picks the resolution it thinks your HW can handle. You can override that by editing a configuration file but try the cooling approach first
Yeah, I've already thrown a couple brake pads beneath the back end of the laptop to lift it up a bit and improve ventilation beneath it. The vent, however is on the side, and the flow is strong. I do hear the fan sounding to run higher than if I were simply on the internet, for example.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Yeah, I've already thrown a couple brake pads beneath the back end of the laptop to lift it up a bit and improve ventilation beneath it. The vent, however is on the side, and the flow is strong. I do hear the fan sounding to run higher than if I were simply on the internet, for example.
That's a start, but you still need additional cooling. I suggest either:

View attachment 317538

...or this:

View attachment 317539

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
I've got a little program on my laptop called Core Temp that I use to monitor stuff, you could try that to see if temps are an issue.
I had never heard of this. Looked it up and its a really neat tool. To the OP, why not load up this app and see how your temperature changes as you use Zwift?

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just heard back from Zwift. They said, on my end at least, that internet connection issues have been leading to my laptop freezing up. When I checked my log files for Zwift, I noticed a crap load of "Network Errors." Zwift tells me that it is an issue they are still investigating and working on safeguards to eliminate the freezes when you briefly lose internet connection. Just yesterday I noticed the red X pop up over the internet connection icon on my Start Menu at the bottom of the screen. Right away I knew that I had lost internet connection. Yet oddly the game kept working. Within a second or two the little red X went away and I was back online, but I can't figure why my computers keep losing signal like that (seeing as they're all directly connected to the cable modem with Ethernet cables, thus no Wi-Fi on my end.

Anyone computer guys here that can know why my internet connection keep dropping for a second or two before coming back on?

·
Registered
760 Posts
"Network errors" should not freeze the entire laptop. Network disconnect from Zwift will allow you to continue riding the Zwift course, but you would not see any other riders.

You need to confirm whether you are still connected to the router, but unable to connect to the "internet", versus losing connection to your local network. You then need to rule out a physical issue in your connection. It's not rocket science. You have either a bad: router, router switch port, PC ethernet port, cable, or WAN port/connection.

Try Wi-Fi.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Log into your router and follow manufacturer instructions to find where the event log is and see where its coming from, then you can troubleshoot the problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts