Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed this. Is this for real? It's not like these are real roads with real climbing. How is this even legitimate? Apologize for the rant. Can someone chime in?

·
Registered
647 Posts
they are using a resistance knob to simulate climbing. doesn't feel like quite the same thing to me.
Based on that comment, I am guessing that you haven't ridden an electronically controlled smart trainer?

If not, you should try one along with Zwift. It adjusts in conjunction with the simulated grade in the game. Couple that with the visuals and it is a very convincing combination.

As to Zwift/Strava segments, I use them frequently. Just like IRL, I tend to ignore other people's efforts on those segments. I couldn't care less if someone cheats or has crazy time. The same crap happens IRL when people draft motos, use ebikes or whatever else to bump their times. Point being that people cheat in any medium where competition exists. Sad but true.

What matters to me are MY TIMES. I compare medium to long segments from various rides to judge my fitness. I can track my progression through the year with ease.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
they are using a resistance knob to simulate climbing. doesn't feel like quite the same thing to me.
Where is this knob you speak of?

With Zwift you have to generate the appropriate watts based on the gradient and your weight. Just like real Strava, a few people cheat but in general you still suffer on hard climbs just like in real life

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
It's real.
It's not legitimate. It 'could' be if everyone used a smart trainer/power meter, properly calibrated it, and correctly entered their weight. Which of course will never happen.
No it couldn't because of the significant variance between powermeters, both of the same brand and not.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Each segment has a Hide button for it. I know it takes a while but take the time and hide every segment and you'll never have to see them again.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Doesn't that apply to outside riding as well?
No, because the only thing that matters outside for KOMs is how fast you finish them.

Speed can be gained in a number of ways. Zwift only accounts for two (watts and kilograms) and approximates/makes up/simply ignores the rest.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
A tail wind while at the back of a paceline on an e-bike is the best way to finish a KOM. :thumbsup:
Noooo, you only start the segment at the back of the paceline. You have to finish at the front of the paceline! That way you'll be fastest out of your group, even if your group technically started and finished together. :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
Doesn't that apply to outside riding as well?
You are missing the most important difference.

Assuming two riders each use a power meter for an outside ride and a Zwift ride:

1) The Zwift ride inside uses the actual values from each power meter. It takes that information, the riders virtual weight and height, the grade of the road and condition like drafting... then calculates a "speed" in the game. Core issue being that the speed comes from the power measured by the meter. A huge error between the meters will yield a huge difference in position in the game.

2) The outside ride records the power values, but they are secondary. The riders put out whatever power in the conditions of the road, wind, draft, etc. The fact that power recorded may differ widely between the two meters is irrelevant when you look at the true, physical position the riders held on the road.

Essentially, one is purely a record while the other is the ACTUAL DRIVER of the rider position.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I spend lots of time on the trainer, albeit a dumb one but with structured workouts. It's not riding your bike. It's working out on the trainer. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome tool. You can't, at least I can't, do as precisely a structured workout on the actual road. It's a great training tool. A million things make it not a bike ride... the fixed position of the bike being chief among them. Wind, traffic, pot holes, animals jetting out, reality... Great tool, but doesn't belong in places concerned with bicycles. Strava? Fake place, fake bike ride? Why not, who cares?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I spend lots of time on the trainer, albeit a dumb one but with structured workouts. It's not riding your bike. It's working out on the trainer. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome tool. You can't, at least I can't, do as precisely a structured workout on the actual road. It's a great training tool. A million things make it not a bike ride... the fixed position of the bike being chief among them. Wind, traffic, pot holes, animals jetting out, reality... Great tool, but doesn't belong in places concerned with bicycles. Strava? Fake place, fake bike ride? Why not, who cares?
That's actually one of the arguments FOR working out on the trainer. It can be far more precise and exacting than riding on the road. Lots and lots of extremely fast people use it for precisely that. In fact, Matt Hayman won Paris Roubaix this year after spending all winter doing workouts on his trainer (just the most recent, high-profile example I can think of).

You are performing the exact same amount of work. If the bike were't bolted down, it'd be moving. That work is exactly what makes it a bike ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts