Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since joining Zwift the large majority of my rides have been junk miles, occasionally pushing myself on the Mountain Course or Watopia laps. Recently I decided to get into the workouts to maintain or improve my fitness over the winter months. But I am really disappointed. The primary issue I am having (12 Week FTP Builder, Day 3) is with the 5 x 10 sec at 450 watts. On my Cycleops Powerbeam Pro there is a significant delay in resistance once the timer says to go; I'm spinning nearly 135rpm just to close in on the 450w, and by the time I get there the 10 seconds is up and the screen is flashing for me to decrease my power. Completely ruined my workout today. Because of this aggravation, I thought I'd check in here to see if this is a known issue, and if there are any fixes that can be implemented to get things more responsive, otherwise I'll likely find myself heading to a more dedicated place like Trainer Road to keep in shape over the winter. But with that said, I wonder if Trainer Road, which I assume would also use ERG mode to set your resistance, would also be giving me the same problem.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Where do you have your "Trainer Difficulty" set? May or may not make a difference in workouts. There is a video on youtube, "Zwift FTP Test execution", where guy mentions that zwift will bring the power level to your cadence...If you pedal faster before the start gates, you'll need to keep that cadence to meet the power requirements for the test.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have it set to "maximum."

And that might be true about the cadence, because I kept pushing it just before the glowing gates in hope of hitting the 450w. After posting this thread I discovered that ERG is meant to keep you at a constant cadence in a gear of your choosing and changes resistance to meet that cadence. It's still confusing to me, and know there is going to be a delay, but I'll give it another whirl again tomorrow and see if keeping the cadence steady is the key.
Where do you have your "Trainer Difficulty" set? May or may not make a difference in workouts. There is a video on youtube, "Zwift FTP Test execution", where guy mentions that zwift will bring the power level to your cadence...If you pedal faster before the start gates, you'll need to keep that cadence to meet the power requirements for the test.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
5x10 sec at 450 watts is not any sort of workout whatsoever.

Who cares? It's barely a warmup. Focus on the actual workout. And if that was the actual workout, then find a new workout. Because that isn't doing much for you physically.

If you actually want to work on a sprint, then just sprint. Time and wattage and all that doesn't really matter. You go hard enough and 10 secs will feel like a very hard time. This, however, should be done outside.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've already been run over twice. I'm done with "outside" for a while.

Who cares? It's barely a warmup. Focus on the actual workout. And if that was the actual workout, then find a new workout. Because that isn't doing much for you physically.

If you actually want to work on a sprint, then just sprint. Time and wattage and all that doesn't really matter. You go hard enough and 10 secs will feel like a very hard time. This, however, should be done outside.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I tried ”sprinting", and it was so awkward not being able to move the bike side to side. I'd have to go with the Kinetic Rock and Roll, with the motor, for any prolonged out of the saddle training.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's 'normal'. You sprinted for 10s either way. There aren't many workouts with such short intervals so it wont be a problem often. The game aspect of zwift isn't giving you credit, but it doesn't really matter from the point of view of the workout being beneficial or not.

If you want a better chance of hitting the interval to get credit for it, don't use erg mode.

·
Registered
65 Posts

If you actually want to work on a sprint, then just sprint. Time and wattage and all that doesn't really matter. You go hard enough and 10 secs will feel like a very hard time. This, however, should be done outside.[/QUOTE

It's the start of a 12week training plan that starts easy and relative to your current ftp. By week 4 none of the workouts even include intervals over your FTP.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
It's the start of a 12week training plan that starts easy and relative to your current ftp. By week 4 none of the workouts even include intervals over your FTP.
The point is that that's not a workout in any sense of the word so it's really not worth worrying about in any way.

·
I love to climb!
2,046 Posts
Those super short intervals are almost impossible to star in Zwift. I don't think you actually need to worry about "completing" those short ones. Just go hard for those 10 seconds, and you'll get the benefit.

For what it's worth, I don't use ERG mode in workouts, because it had never worked properly for me (but it has been a good number of months since I tried ERG mode now). I check erg off, makes the trainer act like a fluid trainer, and I just gun for the requested wattage on my own.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I don't use ERG on Zwift but I do on Trainer Road. Just my own preference on the Kickr. Pedalbikers view of what a workout is may be different and that's okay, we're not all CAT 1 studs.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I found that you have to concentrate on cadence, and not worry about speeding up when you come upon the glowing gates -- the ERG thing increases the resistance for you so you just keep pedaling. It does take a few second, but if you just maintain your cadence, it does work.

Also what I did was to nudge up my FTP a bit to make the workouts harder.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
ERG is to keep you at constant power irrespective of cadence. Increase cadence and resistance will go down to maintain constant power. Decrease cadence and resistance will go up to maintain constant power. In ERG mode you don't shift. Just put the bike in some middling high gear and pedal.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, that's what I did today. Felt nice. Now that I've finally figure it out, everything is good to go. There is, however, a delay of about 5 seconds before the resistance kicks in fully. But I guess it's like that for most trainers.
ERG is to keep you at constant power irrespective of cadence. Increase cadence and resistance will go down to maintain constant power. Decrease cadence and resistance will go up to maintain constant power. In ERG mode you don't shift. Just put the bike in some middling high gear and pedal.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I don't use ERG on Zwift but I do on Trainer Road. Just my own preference on the Kickr. Pedalbikers view of what a workout is may be different and that's okay, we're not all CAT 1 studs.
I'm going to stick with my assertion that 50s of pedaling sort of hard is not a workout for anyone, cat 5 to weekend warrior to random guy riding down the sidewalk.

But hey, if you think that's going to get you in shape, and that your smart trainer not increasing resistance enough for you to hit those magical numbers for that full ten seconds is going to cost you your fitness, then yes, we just have different views.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm going to stick with my assertion that 50s of pedaling sort of hard is not a workout for anyone, cat 5 to weekend warrior to random guy riding down the sidewalk.

But hey, if you think that's going to get you in shape, and that your smart trainer not increasing resistance enough for you to hit those magical numbers for that full ten seconds is going to cost you your fitness, then yes, we just have different views.
While I don't dispute the point being made - I will say this:
the internet is full of disgruntled, bitter people that can't wait for the chance to prove to the online world what angry *******s they are. A litttle knowledge on a very particular subject is just a way to get their foot in the door to spew their crap.

I dont have a smart trainer but my understanding is that erg mode isn't the greatest for quick high jump intervals.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
While I don't dispute the point being made - I will say this:
the internet is full of disgruntled, bitter people that can't wait for the chance to prove to the online world what angry *******s they are. A litttle knowledge on a very particular subject is just a way to get their foot in the door to spew their crap.
You seem to have a lot of pent up animosity, here. Maybe go take a ride on Zwift or something to calm your nerves?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've had a similar experience on Zwift with my Wahoo Kickr. On training exercises that feature a lot of short, intense bursts, the trainer in ERG mode is too slow to respond to the work-out. However, as stated already, just go balls-out (typically high RPMs) for the time the workout requires and in the end, you'll still get a good workout. I just finished a workout last week with a lot of 10 second bursts and "starred" on all of them simply by going gonzo with my RPMs. Just think, Indy cars go fast with high RPMs... and so can you! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.