Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Douglas Fusion with DA brifters. It came with the first anatomic bar (flattened on the tops) that I've ever ridden. When I tilt the bars so that the flat part is parallel to the ground the brifters are pushed WAY forward. When I tilt the bars so that the brifters are in the appropriate position the flat portion of the bar is tilted towards me.

So, my question is this: What is the correct position for the flat portion of the bar? Do I need to move my brifters, or are the bars intended to tilt towards the rider?

·
hello
3,394 Posts
You basically need to experiment by doing both, tilting the bars and repositioning the brifters.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Andrea138 said:
The bars are intended to be comfortable. Ignore the brifters for a few minutes and get the rotation of the bars set to where you are comfortable on the tops and on the drops. Once it's set, then position the brifters to make them comfortable (if necessary).
Exactly the right procedure. And I'll add a terminology note, since you'lll generally get better answers sooner if you use the terms in the way that people are accustomed to using them. "Anatomic" bars does not generally refer to the flattened "wing" shape on the top section, but to bars that have a section of the drops that is straight, rather than uniformly curved. Anatomic bars (with various bends) are more common now, so the confusion is understandable.

Anatomic bar:

"Conventional" bar

1 - 5 of 5 Posts