Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've been riding and racing for years, but starting in August I will be commuting to grad school. Over the winter I built up a single speed/fixed gear for the task complete with rack, fenders, lights, etc. I'm only 5-7 miles (dpending on route) from campus and I can fit most of what I need in my current Timbuk2 messenger bag but it doesn't have any "rack" specific attachment features. Do you guys have any ideas how I could attach my bag to the rack as if it were a pannier to aviod the sweat spot on the back?

If I do buy panniers, I would like them to be able to do grocery store runs as well as commuting to work in foul weather (so have some type of top to them and not be open to the environment). Any suggestions on brands that will be durable, mostly waterproof and not break the bank?

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to cutting my gas bill from $200/month to $25/month!
BTW I'm not at school yet. My current job has me commuting 33miles each way to work which is why I spend so much on gas. When I move to school, I will be lucky to use the car once a week, and that will likely be to drive to a bike race lol.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
I've been thinking of how to do this as well... perhaps tuck in the shoulder strap and use a carabiner clip to attach the cross strap d ring to the rack and something at the bottom? the problem is the bag will be sidways, the risk being stuff falling out... perhaps a better solution is to get a 'grocery bag pannier' and drop the timbuk2 in it... or just wear the msger bag as it was designed to be worn

· Registered
606 Posts
slowrider said:
The simple solution would be bungee cords.
I've already tried that option. Do be warned that not all bungee cords are made alike.

I bought some from the Dollar Store, and after spending 15-20 minutes picking them out of my cassette about 3 or 4 times, "splurged" on some more expensive types from Target which don't break as often. But even still, I'm looking forward to getting a rack & panniers.

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Are you willing to put your pride aside and embrace your dorkness? I have a seatpost rack, and mounted a plastic bin, like a Tupperware or Rubbermade thing to the rack. The rack has holes in it, so I drilled some holes in the bin and screwed it to the rack with nuts/bolts. What I really like about it, is that I can just toss my bag in it and not have to deal with strapping it down. It also keeps water from spraying up on my bag from the back tire (I only run a front fender). Oh yeah, it also gave me a place to attach a blinkie and put some reflective tape. Here's a picture from when I had it dressed up for Christmas and before I got it repainted.

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All good ideas. Any reccomendations on panniers that can double as grocery getters and commuter bags that are mostly waterproof? Looking for something on the more inexpensive side but still durable.

JohnnyTooBad-I'm going to grad school for a PhD in Microbiology. I'm not sure I or my loved ones can handle much more dorkness than I've already got!

· Registered
606 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
dressed up for Christmas
'Lit up like a Christmas tree'- cool.

Seriously, doesn't the tub mounted on the back there make your ride kind of unstable? I also tried the QR-seatpost rack thing, but gave up on it after being thrown into the path of oncoming traffic by the unstability it creates.

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
batman1425 said:
All good ideas. Any reccomendations on panniers that can double as grocery getters and commuter bags that are mostly waterproof? Looking for something on the more inexpensive side but still durable.

JohnnyTooBad-I'm going to grad school for a PhD in Microbiology. I'm not sure I or my loved ones can handle much more dorkness than I've already got!
A microbiologist? I think you can handle it. BTW, I had to commute with my computer this morning. I have a good computer backpack, but MAN did that suck. The weight is bad enough, but it was 52 degrees and my back was dripping with sweat. I don't know how people deal with having stuff stuck to themselves when they ride. I also felt it in my sit bones and lower back. ugh.

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
lx93 said:
'Lit up like a Christmas tree'- cool.

Seriously, doesn't the tub mounted on the back there make your ride kind of unstable? I also tried the QR-seatpost rack thing, but gave up on it after being thrown into the path of oncoming traffic by the unstability it creates.
Not at all. You get used to it pretty quick, but the weight doesn't seem to make it unstable. It actually seems to make the bike less easy to throw from side to side when out of the saddle. It actually seems more stable. When I get on my bike without anything on the back, it feels like I'm throwing the bike all over the place and can't keep it under me. Granted, if you do lean the bike over while climbing, the added weight to pull it back up is a bit noticeable. But I stay seated for most of my commute. If I do stand to sprint from a traffic light or climb an overpass, I keep the bike vertical.

I swap between the dedicated commuter and my geared roadie once in a while. I'm thinking I might get a rack with a QR. Does it lock on tight enough that it won't move?

BTW, I've been using a rear rack for about 7 years for commutes between 6 and 17 miles each way (currently 10.5).

· Registered
606 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
I'm thinking I might get a rack with a QR. Does it lock on tight enough that it won't move?
Most of the time, yes. But ONE time, no. The QR element might be what makes my rack so unstable. Granted, it only caused me to wreck ONE time, when I had about 20-ish/10-ish pounds/kilos of textbooks & was doing an emergency avoidance swerve when I wiped out, but that one time has me looking for a permanently-mounted rack & panniers as a long-term solution.

In the interim, however, I've used Topeak Quick Release rack on my Bianchi Campione d'Italia (entry to mid-level racer) for grocery duties, and haven't had problems w/ it on that. But then again, having to make 2-3 grocery trips/week isn't fun, either. The max I put on it now is 15 lbs/ 30 kilos.

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
I don't put that kind of weight on mine. I have a light nylon gym bag with bike tools (including a 15mm Craftesman flat wrench for my single speed), smallish air pump, insulated lunch bag/lunch, shirt, boxers, socks, plus cell, wallet, work badge. That's about it. It's probably between 5-10 lbs in the morning, and a few less in the afternoon due to lunch being in me. Sounds like a QR might work. I'm getting tired of the 4 hex bolts every time I need to swap bikes or put the bike on the repair stand.

· It's not TOO Cold!
2,497 Posts
lx93 said:
I've already tried that option. Do be warned that not all bungee cords are made alike.

I bought some from the Dollar Store, and after spending 15-20 minutes picking them out of my cassette about 3 or 4 times, "splurged" on some more expensive types from Target which don't break as often. But even still, I'm looking forward to getting a rack & panniers.
try this

https://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=23

my bike has no rack bosses, held on with 4 P-clips. Hold 2 loaded panniers, no problemo.
fyi 2 1/2 gallon growlers of fresh draft beer is heavy, :thumbsup:

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
I've got the Novara brand panniers. They're waterproof and have a QR attachment. I've had them loaded up with tons of groceries complete with my backpack strapped to the top of the rack and the things stayed solid.

Here's a pic: the panniers are filled as full as they would go, what I couldn't fit went int the back pack and got strapped to the top.

joe

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
No wonder you get flats. That's like hauling around Roseanne Bar on the back of your bike :) :) :).

Great setup though.

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Ridgetop said:
No wonder you get flats. That's like hauling around Roseanne Bar on the back of your bike :) :) :).

Great setup though.
I learned a valuable lesson that day: don't take both hands off the bars to adjust your shorts, lest you want the bike to tip sideways, wheelie up when you try to correct it, have it hit you in the groin, and then dump over while you try to control 60+ pounds of awkward weight between your legs (not code).

Not to mention it's got to tow my fat behind on it as well.

Honestly I'm impressed with anything that lasts months of me bashing the crap out of it. I'm not a gentle person by nature (I'm not hard on purpose, I just think that I probably don't think about such things that often), and spending more time commuting rather than "road riding" I'm not affraid to hit a pothole, train track, dead opossum, whatever lest I want to swerve into traffic.

The Soma Smoothie, 38 hole Deep V's and Surly hubs have taken a beating and they're still standing tough. I pulled the rear wheel off to true it last week, assuming that it'd need it, and the son-of-a-gun spun true as the day it was built. That blew me away.

joe

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
Are you willing to put your pride aside and embrace your dorkness? I have a seatpost rack, and mounted a plastic bin, like a Tupperware or Rubbermade thing to the rack. The rack has holes in it, so I drilled some holes in the bin and screwed it to the rack with nuts/bolts. What I really like about it, is that I can just toss my bag in it and not have to deal with strapping it down. It also keeps water from spraying up on my bag from the back tire (I only run a front fender). Oh yeah, it also gave me a place to attach a blinkie and put some reflective tape. Here's a picture from when I had it dressed up for Christmas and before I got it repainted.

Great idea. Tupperware w/lid...water proof and plenty of different sizes availible....brilliant:thumbsup:

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Great idea. Tupperware w/lid...water proof and plenty of different sizes availible....brilliant:thumbsup:
Someone else actually gets it!

My *only* issue, is that I wish the rack bent down more before leveling off, so that the whole steup would ride lower, so that I could get the bin under the saddle and move it further forward on the rack. I'd need a permanent mount rack to do that, but I swap the rack back and forth between bikes so much that that's not really an option for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.